Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Cooler size

Options
  • 09-11-2009 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi guys. I'm thinking of upgrading my current CPU cooler (which is the stock AMD cooler) and the one I am looking at,Thermalright Ultra-120,is around 160mm high.
    I have a Coolermaster Elite 330 case with a window and from the motherboard to the edge of the case is about 171mm.

Will the Thermalright Ultra-120 with a fan fit in my case??:confused:

Thanks

Jak/mar:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

You might have an issue with the side fan. I have a CM Scout and a Thors hammer (which is the same hight as the TRUE there) and it does block off a fan port.

The easiest way I am gonna guess is to make a cardboard box that is the same dimentions and check yourself.

Of course, the best solution is to find a friend who wants a TRUE, check if it fits. If it doesn't, sell him the TRUE, if it does, he is SOL :P

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    You might have an issue with the side fan. I have a CM Scout and a Thors hammer (which is the same hight as the TRUE there) and it does block off a fan port.

Sorry I didn't mean a side fan.
    I meant a fan that clips onto the cooler to cool it.
    Thanks anyway:cool:

jak/mar wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't mean a side fan.
    I meant a fan that clips onto the cooler to cool it.
    Thanks anyway:cool:

I know what you meant :) The fan that clips on will alter the width, not the hight.

What I am saying is if you have a fan on the side case port, it might interfere with the Coolers hight.

I know what you meant :) The fan that clips on will alter the width, not the hight.

What I am saying is if you have a fan on the side case port, it might interfere with the Coolers hight.

Ok thanks.
    I don't have a side fan so I'm good.
    Also What would be the best Thermal Paste to use??

Also What would be the best Thermal Paste to use??
    That one I can answer.

IC7 Diamond.

Has enough to do 2 or 3 Applications and is made out of ****ing diamonds! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    You'll have to ebay it though as nowhere in Ireland sells it iirc. I got mine from Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

if you want one that's easier to get, the Noctua thermal paste is also supposed to be pretty good.

That one I can answer.

IC7 Diamond.

Has enough to do 2 or 3 Applications and is made out of ****ing diamonds! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    You'll have to ebay it though as nowhere in Ireland sells it iirc. I got mine from Canada.

Thanks.
    Thought it would be expensive as its made out of diamonds but its great value and free shipping whith is good.

I was reading a review of the TRUE and it comes with an AM2 backplate.
    Do AM2 backplates fit AM3 and it means I have to take the thing that holds my stock cooler in place off right??

Thanks.
    Thought it would be expensive as its made out of diamonds but its great value and free shipping whith is good.

I was reading a review of the TRUE and it comes with an AM2 backplate.
    Do AM2 backplates fit AM3 and it means I have to take the thing that holds my stock cooler in place off right??

AM2 and AM3 use the same size Backplates yes.

As for removing the stock stuff, I dunno, I am an Intel fanboi :)

AM2 and AM3 use the same size Backplates yes.

As for removing the stock stuff, I dunno, I am an Intel fanboi :)

Ok thanks.
    I also saw that the base is curved on all TRUEs:eek:
    Should I be better to go with Thors Hammer??

Ok thanks.
    I also saw that the base is curved on all TRUEs:eek:
    Should I be better to go with Thors Hammer??

Eh, apparently the TRUE is meant to be like that.
    Thor's hammer is a 1kg beast, and I do NOT recommend it for an AMD. The Mounting Solution is just too weak.

• Advertisement

Eh, apparently the TRUE is meant to be like that.
    Thor's hammer is a 1kg beast, and I do NOT recommend it for an AMD. The Mounting Solution is just too weak.

Oh OK.
    Thanks for all your help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

If i were you i wouldn't even bother to take the risk!

You should just get a smaller cooler, better that than getting one that doesn't fit!!!

I suppose you'll be overclocking yes?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You sure the TRUE is just 160mm? With the bits of metal that stick out of the tops of all vertical heatpipe towers and the CPU block and its retention mechanism I'd guess it'd be more like 170mm IRL... might fit but could be a squeeze.

More importantly, what on earth have you stuck inside a CM330 that needs a TRUE?! :eek:

Solitaire wrote: »
    You sure the TRUE is just 160mm? With the bits of metal that stick out of the tops of all vertical heatpipe towers and the CPU block and its retention mechanism I'd guess it'd be more like 170mm IRL... might fit but could be a squeeze.

More importantly, what on earth have you stuck inside a CM330 that needs a TRUE?! :eek:

Maybe the same thing that made me stick a Thor's Hammer with two Kaze Slipstream 1900 RPM fans inside a CM Storm?

A core i5 :P

Maybe the same thing that made me stick a Thor's Hammer with two Kaze Slipstream 1900 RPM fans inside a CM Storm?

A core i5 :P

OMG It's gonna 'splode!

OMG It's gonna 'splode!

Captain! She's Reached 29C!

ABANDON SHEEP!

Solitaire wrote: »

ok can you suggest a better cooler for me please.
    Ive oc'ed my 720 to 3.2GHZ and I might want to go a bit higher
    I don't need it I want it :D:D:D:p

ok can you suggest a better cooler for me please.
    Ive oc'ed my 720 to 3.2GHZ and I might want to go a bit higher
    I don't need it I want it :D:D:D:p

wait, what have you got in there already? Just had a quick scan of google there, the biggest overclock people seem to get out of it readily on air would be 900Mhz. You're already half way there... is there really point in spending near €80 on a setup for that amount you're hardly going to need?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

massy086 wrote: »

works pretty well all right for cooling the CPU. F*cks up the air flow in the case though as for full efficiency you have to reverse the rear exhaust fan. So if your card is sensitive to changes in airflow in your PC (I know my GTX285 is) it's not an ideal solution.

• Advertisement

Not to mention the questionable choice of putting water and electronics so close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Not to mention the questionable choice of putting water and electronics so close together.
    ah well its giong on my new i5 chip somethings gona have to keep it cool at 4ghz lol:D:D

massy086 wrote: »
    ah well its giong on my new i5 chip somethings gona have to keep it cool at 4ghz lol:D:D

Try, I dunno, a Thor's Hammer. :P Or a megahalems. :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Or a Scythe Mugen 2, if you can find an LGA1156 bracket that is! :P

On the other hand, not so sure about throwing anything over €40 on cooling an X3-720BE. You could get a Mugen 2, a Xiggy S1283 or even a wee lil' Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 R2, which is less than a couple of tenners. All should keep a 3.5-3.7GHz P2 nice and chilly, and you don't really want to exceed 3.8GHz (with a good chip!) on air anyway, as it needs big voltage increases and that usually borks the p-states to boot :o Said good chip could probably hit 4GHz on air, but it won't be at all comfortable there.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Thats a fair point about the cost.

Op have a look at this lovely thing, unfortunately it hasnt picked up much steam yet but everyone seems to be obsessed with certain brands

Tuniq 120 Tower Extreme only €41 for cooling thats up there with the big ones. Its pretty compact as well. And well the looks :):o:p

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Thats a fair point about the cost.

Op have a look at this lovely thing, unfortunately it hasnt picked up much steam yet but everyone seems to be obsessed with certain brands

Tuniq 120 Tower Extreme only €41 for cooling thats up there with the big ones. Its pretty compact as well. And well the looks :):o:p

Add in the cost of the fans and you're looking at circa €60. waste of dosh. The Noctua performs just as good with fans included for around the same. I still wouldn't pay that for a measly 500Mhz OC though.

Ah no no the fan is included. Its in the middle of the two stacks of heatsink fins ala the IFX-14 but it has a cover over it. That was kind of the point of my post :p its cheap for amazing quality.

The fan seems to be pretty good too if loud, although one review said it sounds a bit like a hoover at full speed. But then it has results very close if not matching the best Heatsinks on the market.

Would this be ok to get?
    :confused:
    Thanks again

Would this be ok to get?
    :confused:
    Thanks again

Its supposed to be a very good cooler all right. The fan looks great when its running. It says it only supports AM2, but i thought the backplates were the same, so if it fits go for it (someone else here will probably confirm for you), would fit your needs well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement