Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Fare query

• 09-11-2009 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

During the weekend I flagged a Taxi at Dublin airport just before midnight and got him to take me home to knocklyon, However he charged me over e-49 for the trip. He took the M50 so was told I had to pay an extra 3 euro for the trip....I never in my life paid such a sum of money for a trip from the aiport. When I got into the taxi his meter was already reading e-4.79 and when he stopped the taxi at my house it read E-46 then it jumped to over e-49 when he pressed a button on his meter...I argued with him and he gave me a receipt for it but I am concerned that I have been ripped off.... I payed it and scrammed into my house pissed off.
    Have I anything to be concerned about or am I overreating? I have the guys Reg and spsv number handy just incase.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

mondeo wrote: »
    During the weekend I flagged a Taxi at Dublin airport just before midnight and got him to take me home to knocklyon, However he charged me over e-49 for the trip. He took the M50 so was told I had to pay an extra 3 euro for the trip....I never in my life paid such a sum of money for a trip from the aiport. When I got into the taxi his meter was already reading e-4.79 and when he stopped the taxi at my house it read E-46 then it jumped to over e-49 when he pressed a button on his meter...I argued with him and he gave me a receipt for it but I am concerned that I have been ripped off.... I payed it and scrammed into my house pissed off.
    Have I anything to be concerned about or am I overreating? I have the guys Reg and spsv number handy just incase.

Cheers

I think the price increase once you go past midnight........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Price seems about right tbh.
    When I got into the taxi his meter was already reading e-4.79

Meter should have started at €4.40. I think you must have mis-read the meter because it increases in increments of 20c., ie it could read 4.60 or 4.80 but not 4.50 or 4.79.
    When I got into the taxi his meter was already reading e-4.79

I'd imagine that was him adding the toll on as an extra. Drivers are meant to add on tolls manually, that is to write it on the bottom of the receipt , but sometimes they record it as an extra. Either way, while you may think the price is high, I would bet it's the correct fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Price seems about right to me. Did you have extra passengers?

(From city centre to my house 20 miles away is usually €50 - €55).
    mondeo wrote:
    During the weekend I flagged a Taxi at Dublin airport
    What do you mean you "flagged" one? Did you go to the official rank for one?
    sonyair wrote: »
    I think the price increase once you go past midnight........
    After 10pm I think and all times at weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

If you took the M50 then the fare is spot on imo. The reason it jumped by €3 would be the adding on of the toll. Strictly speaking as was said above you are supposed to record this manually on the receipt, but its not the end of the world if its added on to the meter.

I think your over reacting just a little. The fact that the driver had no problem handing over the receipt( as he is legally obliged to to do) says to me he fears nothing from a complaint. If he was trying to rip you off he probably would of come up with an excuse not to give you one or lowered the fare when confronted.

The premium hours are 2000-0800 Monday to Saturday and all day sunday and bank holidays etc. The fare will start at €4.45 during these hours.

This site is usually fairly accurate and it reckons it would cost € 51.20 although that allows for some traffic you might not of encountered.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/dublin#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭randypriest

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    If you took the M50 then the fare is spot on imo. The reason it jumped by €3 would be the adding on of the toll. Strictly speaking as was said above you are supposed to record this manually on the receipt, but its not the end of the world if its added on to the meter.

I think your over reacting just a little. The fact that the driver had no problem handing over the receipt( as he is legally obliged to to do) says to me he fears nothing from a complaint. If he was trying to rip you off he probably would of come up with an excuse not to give you one or lowered the fare when confronted.

The premium hours are 2000-0800 Monday to Saturday and all day sunday and bank holidays etc. The fare will start at €4.45 during these hours.

This site is usually fairly accurate and it reckons it would cost € 51.20 although that allows for some traffic you might not of encountered.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/dublin#

Seems quite "fare" to me...

(sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Did he ask you was it ok to go the motorway they have to ask you is it ok to use the motorway and are not aloud to use the moterway with out your permission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did he ask you was it ok to go the motorway they have to ask you is it ok to use the motorway and are not aloud to use the moterway with out your permission

Untrue. You can suggest a route but otherwise its up to the driver to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

MYOB wrote: »
    Untrue. You can suggest a route but otherwise its up to the driver to decide.
    This is in direct contradiction of what i've read here many times, are you sure?
    Seems unlikely to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Ste.phen wrote: »
    This is in direct contradiction of what i've read here many times, are you sure?
    Seems unlikely to me!

What he means is that unless you state a route to the driver they are obliged to take the most expeditious route. I am not aware of any official requirement to ask permission to use the M50 toll but most drivers would do so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I was overreacting a little. The toll was not manually written on the receipt. He just added it to the meter as we passed the toll bridge. Do Taxi's not get a commercial rate for passing the toll as opposed to the Full E-3?

Another question for you.. Is it illegal for a Taxi driver to give you a fixed rate once the meter has started to run? About 10 minutes into the journey I asked him would he give me a fixed rate and he said it was illegal and he could be fined for doing that once the meter has already started...
    I met this guy at the Taxi queing rank at the airport.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

The fare was spot on - I regularly paid similar when I lived in Templeogue and pay more where I live now for a journey on M50 to airport. Toll is €3 for the M50. Definitely not ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

the 3 euro is what normal cars are charged if they dont have a tag if you didnt hear a beep he was right in charging 3 quid. he also has to ring the toll or go to a shop to pay this also.

you should have asked him for a set fare before you got into the cab. once the meter is on he was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

fare seems bout right tbh, for me to get taxi from my house to my bf's (7 mile) it can be anything from €20 upwards, depending on traffic on Nangor Road but has often been over €25

Advertisement