Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good sat nav for xmas present?

Options
  • 09-11-2009 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to get my Dad a sat nav for xmas. He's not the most tech savvy so I'm looking for something basic (and cheap :D). I was wondering if this would do the business?:

Garmin Nuvi 200W GPS
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=458653

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Do you think he'll actually use a Sat Nav?
    Sat Navs are a great gadget, so long as they're used, otherwise they're a complete waste of money :)

The Garmin 200W is a, simple to use, no frills Sat Nav that'll "do exactly what it says on the tin!".

Have a good shop around, as there's usually some sort of deal to be had. Plus, remember that you will get ONE free map update when you buy any Sat Nav, so it will have the latest maps - BUT - this free update must be done within 60 days of getting a sat lock. So if you switch it on, to check it's working OK, do so inside and away from windows, because if it gets a sat signal, your 60 days will have started. That's not a big deal, 60 days should be loads of time for you to get an update, but just wanted to let you know. You'll also need to connect the unit to your PC to be able to do the update.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭the_cat_is_back

mrmac wrote: »
    Do you think he'll actually use a Sat Nav?
    Sat Navs are a great gadget, so long as they're used, otherwise they're a complete waste of money :)

The Garmin 200W is a, simple to use, no frills Sat Nav that'll "do exactly what it says on the tin!".

Have a good shop around, as there's usually some sort of deal to be had. Plus, remember that you will get ONE free map update when you buy any Sat Nav, so it will have the latest maps - BUT - this free update must be done within 60 days of getting a sat lock. So if you switch it on, to check it's working OK, do so inside and away from windows, because if it gets a sat signal, your 60 days will have started. That's not a big deal, 60 days should be loads of time for you to get an update, but just wanted to let you know. You'll also need to connect the unit to your PC to be able to do the update.

HTH

Thanks. He'll probably only use it once in a blue moon but he keeps dropping subtle hints so figured I'd get him a cheap one that does the business. Cheers for all the info :D

Advertisement