Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Saying I Owe Them Money agghh

Options
  • 09-11-2009 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

I have a question if anyone can help!

Got a call from the bank today and I am really annoyed with them.

My boyfriend lodged my pay cheque into my bank account in early october. He also put €500 in alongside this,which he would do quite often,depending on savings this amount would vary from week to week.

The bank rang me today to say that their was a mix up with the lodgement as my boss rang them this morning to see why they had taken an extra €250 out of his account for the transaction.

The bank said that on the slip my boyfriend filled out it had:

The cheque amount at the top.
    €250 underneath and then €250 again underneath that.

They said that I owe them €250 as its obvious my boyfriend only put the cheque and €250 into my account on the day as the slip was filled out incorrectly.

I am really angry at the bank for taking money out of my bosses account when his cheque was for a specific amount.
    Surely if they had a problem with the lodgement (a)the girl on the desk would have spotted it and (b) they would have an issue with the notes taken on the day and not the cheque.?

The girl on the phone was really abrupt with me and basically said we are debiting your account of €250 that you owe us.

Am I right in saying that they cannot do this and I should take it further?

thanks in advance,
    Suzie

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd be looking for copies of the lodgement docket, the cheque, and a breakdown of what was put through their system (they can print this out). Then I'd advise that you make an appointment with the branch manager/customer service manager and discuss it face to face. I'd be reluctant to just fork over €250 straight away without getting more info. Also, have you chatted to your BF and asked him what exactly he lodged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Hi Toots,

Thanks for reply.

Yeah i've chatted with my boyfriend and he's said it was definitely €500,i dont know why he was stupid enough to put €250 down twice though instead of €500. He had done a job for someone a few days before so he put this money into my account as mortgage and bills all come out of my one.

I asked the girl on the phone to send me a copy of the lodgement slip and she sad thats fine but my account will still be debited €250.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd definitely go down to the bank and speak to someone about this face to face, it'll be much easier to get it sorted this way than over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Yeah I'll try to get down to them tomorrow.

Was just speaking to lady in banking 365 and she agrees its very strange. She seemed to think any issues should be referred back to my own branch and dealt with that way and that its very strange that they have gone ahead and debited my account today of €250 without my permission.

Will see what happens tomorrow.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes talking to someone face to face will be easier to explain/understand.

They will have everything printed shoiwng where the money went etc.

See if they ahve an office/meeting room you can go into and really look at it in detail to see what happened and if you understand everything.

Ask questions if you don;t understand

Good Luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement