Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your helmets lads !!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Nice to see. Especially in Ballintra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

what i am wondering though is... this is big news for the area.. why have none of the local media said anything and googling it gives very few results??:confused:

I came across it on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Interesting... I wonder what the Rare Earth Elements (REE) they are looking for are? If it's gold they are after, the current price of $1100/oz is a big plus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

irish1967 wrote: »
    what i am wondering though is... this is big news for the area.. why have none of the local media said anything and googling it gives very few results??:confused:

I came across it on Twitter

I remember a few years back, in the headlines was a story about a Canadian exploration company that had discovered a significant vein of gold in the Tyrone/Derry area, Gurteen was mentioned. Also, they said that they had a couple of probable sites in Donegal where they had intended to do some 'prospecting'.
    I heard this about Fintown some years ago, where there are pretty strong indications that there could be large deposits of gold in the area, but nothing has become of it. In fact, there are some areas near Fintown where the rock glistens not unlike gold, to be presice, in the hills on the road to Doochary, and near where the phone mast is on the right on the way to Glenties. What quantity would be at hand is another question. Some would say that energy would be better spent erecting more windmills instead of speculating that gold may be present in large enough deposits, so as to cover the costs of mining and extracting it. Just another way of making money, in other words

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

In fact, there are some areas near Fintown where the rock glistens not unlike gold, to be presice, in the hills on the road to Doochary, and near where the phone mast is on the right on the way to Glenties.

prob iron pyrites (fools gold) although having said that even though its much more common its one of the indicators of the right conditions for gold seams, i thought thehey decided the tyrone one wasn't economical although with the ever climbing gold price i guess more and more difficult reserves become viable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 andyc09lad

theres a bit on highland radios website about this

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm ready.
    gold-prospecting-az.png

Who's the guy beside you with the beard? :)

all jokes aside... Ive just got the low-down on this and we should hear more about it by the end of the week. Its the real deal appartently, Ive just discovered I know one of the main guys involved and theres a chance it will be a real runner... I also hear its probably not gold

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I also hear its probably not gold
    Hope its not the uranium again :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

irish1967 wrote: »
    Who's the guy beside you with the beard? :)
    Muffler. :D

muffler wrote: »
    Hope its not the uranium again :eek:

no, its not uranium. Id prefer not to say until the official anouncement, but if it is present in the area in sufficient quantity, it will mean jobs for the area so fingers crossed

And 48 hours after we know about it... the rest of the county is told... god bless modern media...lol:)

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/11/11/11-million-euro-exploration-venture-for-south-donegal/

Its great news alright.... Zinc is what I heard

Advertisement