Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of Your School?

Options
  • 09-11-2009 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hey,
    I was just wondering how good is your(or your childs) school
    As I have been hearing about students in terrible schools,
    But my school is actually a top quality one, with some of the best teachers, and that's in Ballyfermot so the other schools couldn't be that bad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Kershaw.D wrote: »
    Hey,
    But my school is actually a top quality one, with some of the best teachers, and that's in Ballyfermot so the other schools couldn't be that bad
    My current school is pretty amazing, but my last, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

A1 on everything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

My school is supposed to be top quality from what I hear.
    Never really take much notice though of these things. I just get on with the work myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Kershaw.D wrote: »
    Hey,

What on earth do you mean by 'top quality'? Could your questions be any more general?:rolleyes:

Do you mean academic results, DES subject inspection reports, frequency of examinations, quality and breadth of extra-curricular activities, quality of special needs programmes, availability of JCSP, LCA, LCVP, access for disadvantaged students, integration of international and other students, the school building and its maintenance, equipment and resources, home-school liaison, finances, sporting success, watertight code of conduct, qualifications and experience of teachers, parental involvement, links with the community, open admissions policy, a favourable pupil-teacher ratio.....?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

ours is ok... I mean it's a good environment to work in. bad thing is its private, so youve got students who really work hard and take it seriously because their parents worked hard to get them in there, and some ungrateful people who don't work and think they're gonna be ok and end up ruining it for the rest of us. No school is perfect and most are of the same standard, it really depends on the student. I mean i would rather be at home doing my own work than being at school, and I'd be getting on better than I would now. I guess the only thing i get from my school is that the environment keeps me working at a steady pace.. and you make a lot of friends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

In the Top 60 in Ireland...:P So not bad...:P

Mine was listed #1 in the country in a recent league table based on the numbers who carry on into third level (uni/IT).

I think the teaching is great, especially in maths & science.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mine was listed #1 in the country in a recent league table based on the numbers who carry on into third level (uni/IT).

Is that what makes a good school?

What are the special needs provisions there like? What percentage of the intake have special needs?

The biggest influence on the success of a young person in education is and always has been the home. Interested and committed parents make interested and engaged students. Those sort of students could teach themselves in a ditch, so with the help of teachers can do very well indeed.

Some kids have parents that shouldn't be left looking after a plant much less a child and no matter what school they go to the odds are against them from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

My school is alright. There's been a lot of improvements over the past few years, it's now wheelchair accessible and has a cafeteria. We were suppose to get a new school building, but with the recession that's out. It's pretty cold but it's decent enough I suppose.
    There are some class teachers and then there's some real twits that shouldn't allowed near a classroom.

The main thing that makes my school crap is the actual students. It's out the country and for that reason we get a lot of students that the schools in the town have either refused or expelled. And I suppose parents think their kids are less likely to cause trouble out the country. It's been getting really rough the last few years. If we could only get rid of a delinquent skangers it would be a really nice.

spurious wrote: »
    Is that what makes a good school?

What are the special needs provisions there like? What percentage of the intake have special needs?

The biggest influence on the success of a young person in education is and always has been the home. Interested and committed parents make interested and engaged students. Those sort of students could teach themselves in a ditch, so with the help of teachers can do very well indeed.

Some kids have parents that shouldn't be left looking after a plant much less a child and no matter what school they go to the odds are against them from the start.

No, numbers who carry on to third level doesn't make a good school but it's an indication of the quality of education and careers guidance.

As it happens we've lots of dedicated SNAs, very good careers guidance and like I said, the teaching is great.

Obviously you're right that education does have roots in the home, but at the same time there are better schools than others, and having a good teacher makes a huge difference, speaking from experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Absolutely awful... as in probably the worst school building in existance today (throw in the lack of any facilities what-so-ever)... amazingly still one of the highest achieveing schools in the county... open to debate whether that makes it a good or bad school??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

zoom! wrote: »
    bad thing is its private, so youve got students who really work hard and take it seriously because their parents worked hard to get them in there, and some ungrateful people who don't work and think they're gonna be ok and end up ruining it for the rest of us.

Bad thing is it's private? Are you serious? Think how the ratio of ungrateful students per grateful goes up when its a public school?

Mine is advocated by the principal to be all sorts of long words but the amount of teachers lacking in any logic is huge. I can learn independantly in some subjects but when it comes to say english it's pretty impossible to avoid the decisions your teacher makes, like what texts to study.

Luckily I can afford grinds for some subjects and to go to the Institute at Xmas.

It's like the health system, people with money get a good education, the rest (in general) have to work much harder.

Mine is advocated by the principal to be all sorts of long words but the amount of teachers lacking in any logic is huge. I can learn independantly in some subjects but when it comes to say english it's pretty impossible to avoid the decisions your teacher makes, like what texts to study.

Your teacher decides the texts, what's the problem? This happens in every school, that's why s/he is the teacher.

All schools have good, bad and 'lacking in logic' teachers. The idea that some schools only have good teachers is daft. We all (roughly) have the same qualifications and most of us didn't have a huge choice of jobs available to us. The result is that the private school can have a lazy teacher who refuses to use modern methodologies, while the VEC school in the deprived area can have highly motivated, experienced and effective teachers. In most cases, having a brilliant teacher is down to sheer luck.

deemark wrote: »
    Your teacher decides the texts, what's the problem? This happens in every school, that's why s/he is the teacher.

All schools have good, bad and 'lacking in logic' teachers.

The problem is that she chose ones that are hard to work with particularly in the comparative.

I agree that all schools have teachers with varying ability but my school seems to have a huge number of incompetant ones, in my opinion.

And with regard to teachers in private schools/public the teachers do tend to be better or they have a higher proportion of good teachers, otherwise what parent would pay for their child to be eduacted there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

And with regard to teachers in private schools/public the teachers do tend to be better or they have a higher proportion of good teachers, otherwise what parent would pay for their child to be eduacted there?

Actually, while it doesn't happen so much nowadays, in the past, you didn't have to be qualified in anything (or even have a degree) to teach in a private school, while teachers in VEC schools needed additional Irish language qualifications, regardless of their subject area..

Parents pay because they want their children to do well and many believe a private school is the best way to it. There is no evidence whatsoever to support this, but there is no denying the networking opportunities that private schools give.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

*foams at mouth*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I went to a public school. I had a mixture of good and bad teachers... but 90% of it is down to the student and the effort that he/she is willing to put in, not the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I went to the 3rd best school in the country, according to a survey in the Irish Times just after the results were published. It took into account ethnic backgrounds, numbers going to 3rd level, results, etc. So I'd say my school was very good. It wasn't the tidiest place, or cleanest, or the best behaved. And it also had a lot of people who I didn't like, including quite a few in my year.

All that said, I liked it. I made lots of friends, and generally had a good time. The teachers are mostly very good. The only problem was that I didn't work a whole lot :o But I'm in college now so it doesn't really matter.

Where can I find this rating of secondary schools? I'd be interested to see where mine comes!

Yes it is down to the student but it's pretty hard to literally cover the course yourself which is what alot of diligent students with bad teachers have to do, and they will never do as well as the ones with good teachers.

A1 on everything

Deco's isn't that good man....Plus you still have to actually sit the exam so they can give you those 7 A1's :p

My schools good but I wouldn't say excellent.

• Advertisement

The problem is that she chose ones that are hard to work with particularly in the comparative.

What nonsense! You don't need 5 H.Dips to get a job in a private school! You do an interview in the same way as you do for any school. Vacancies arise and you apply for them. You get the job based on your qualifications and experience (unless there's pull involved). Same pay, same conditions, same employer (most of the time).

(btw, in the English comparative, you compare and contrast texts, so you should be able to do a comparative on any texts)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

spurious wrote: »
    Actually, while it doesn't happen so much nowadays, in the past, you didn't have to be qualified in anything (or even have a degree) to teach in a private school, while teachers in VEC schools needed additional Irish language qualifications, regardless of their subject area..

Parents pay because they want their children to do well and many believe a private school is the best way to it. There is no evidence whatsoever to support this, but there is no denying the networking opportunities that private schools give.

Are we talking about grind schools or private schools here? As if its grind schools I cna safely say the schools are much better as regards results.

Cian92 wrote: »
    Are we talking about grind schools or private schools here? As if its grind schools I cna safely say the schools are much better as regards results.

Spurious was referring to private schools I presume. The results are obviously better from grind schools, everyone knows that as they focus purely on getting maximum results and don't have the everyday concerns of a regular secondary school.

You still don't need any qualification whatsoever to teach in a grind 'school'.
    It's a business, not a school.

By private schools, I meant fee-paying, though I am aware almost all non-VEC schools are actually private. Most people don't count the local brothers or nuns as a private school, though they technically are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

My school last year was horribly overcrowded and had a large number of new, semi-retarded teachers. The main building is literally falling apart and this is excluding the use a prefab of 20+ classrooms made of entirely of cardboard. Its a shame really because it used to be in the top 10 schools in Ireland for leaving cert grades. The decline was mainly due to most the good teachers leaving and an influx of pricks such as myself. Nonetheless, I'd say it was and still is one of the best schools for extra curricular activities, trips abroad and various other projects. Can't say I miss it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

My school is a good one, I go in to be taught and thats what happens, Im in a public school, its not the best but its not the worst, there are students who couldnt care about their education, but they are nice people, I just get on with my education. Although,at the end of the day, its up to the student not the school, I know people who went to schools with a "reputation" of bad grades and students,they got on very well. However if a student puts their mind to it they can do whatever they want. You cant buy results, you get them through hard work and no school can teach you hard work. The household has a huge role on students, if too much pressure is put on a student it will be no good, encouragement is the best way to interest a person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

Mine is really bad, and its a fee-paying school. There are close to 60 teachers,and about 5 are good. The school spends all its money on hockey and nothing on academics. Everyone is starting to leave. In 2004 our graduating LC class was 90 people, now its down to about 65 because everyone realizes how bad it is. I'm leaving next year. We never have any students with over 550 points. For my JC, I literally had to learn the whole course myself from a revisewise ..Irish, history, geography, cspe, home ec, German. Its really upset me that I only got 3 As, because if I had had some good teachers i could have got like 7 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

I've the feeling i'm about to lose the head but here it goes......
    I like my school,some of the teachers are good,some are bad. I try my best and whatever happens happens.
    But when i was in the gaeltacht this year we were just talking about different schools,private,public,bording etc.
    Then one of the teachers asked is anyone in a V.E.C school,"Coiste Gairmoideachais", i put up my hand and when i explained what a VEC school was a few more people put up their hands.
    Then the snobbery began....the people who attended private schools likened VECs to "borstels" or other institutions sample quote from a girl who didn't hear my explanation,"oh those schools,yeah they learn to read and write but concentrate on woodworking or basic skills",i couldn't believe how much snobbery there was.
    They were unbelievably surprised that number 1 i had fluent irish and number 2 VECs are just normal schools.
    This elitism sickens me.
    Rant over,

It amazes me that anyone who has not been to or taught in a VEC school thinks they have any right to express an opinion on what VEC schools are like.

It's old-fashioned ignorant Irish snobbery. You even get it in the Department, where all the 'voluntary secondary' educated people think they know what goes on in 'the techs'. It was 'the techs' who piloted almost every recent innovation in Irish education.

We get supervisors for people on teaching practice who think that because our school is a vocational inner city school, the kids will be swinging out of the lampshades. Nothing could be further than the truth. Their faces are always priceless when they see what the truth is and subsequently realise the prejudice they arrived at our door with.

Funny how 'the tech' that wasn't good enough for people at 12 is suddenly desirable when it's a PLC they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Where can I find this rating of secondary schools? I'd be interested to see where mine comes!

Yes it is down to the student but it's pretty hard to literally cover the course yourself which is what alot of diligent students with bad teachers have to do, and they will never do as well as the ones with good teachers.

It's here. It's not a definitive list though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement