Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of Your School?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Well Said :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

dan_d wrote: »
    You get good teachers and bad teachers everywhere. Absolutely everywhere.But you also get out of school what you put into it - same as anything in life. I went to a public school which was and still is, very good. Got a great education, had a few bad teachers, mainly good and a couple of excellent ones. Didn't set foot inside the door of the Institute (which is a grind school, not a private school), made great friends and went on to enjoy my college years thoroughly. I'm 4 years out of college, a qualified engineer, with fluent French and diploma level music in 2 instruments. Personally I'd say I got a damn good, very well rounded education, without paying 10,000eur a year or more for it.

Similiar experience to myself. Attended a public school with a 'bad' reputation, solely due to its location adjacent to a notoriously run down estate. Sure I had a few not so great teachers through my secondary school years, but the majority were excellent. I ended up with one of the best LC results in the country that year and yes, alot of this was down to indivdual work but no one thought someone from my type of school could do so well. And I wasn't the only one - a large percentage of our class ended up with over 400 points and many over 500. Just proves that you don't need to attend a private school or a grinds school to do well, I personally believe that a public school can often be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Crow92 wrote: »
    This has always been an interesting converation, I personally go to a public school in a
    Working Class area, The school itself is a deis school so was better funded during the "Boom Years".

It has a huge array or facilites, a gym, 4 computer labs, 3 science labs, drama studio, 2 music rooms,metalwork room, woodwork room......ect....ect.... so the school i believe is as well equiped as a private school.

The teachers in majority are Amazing, sacrificing their own time unpaid to put in extra work with students.

Sounds pretty good yes?? Well the downfall are the students themselves. The whole mindset of the school is deplorable. Lack of ambition and as usual it's the few Bad students in each year that make this mindset.
    There is only 1 person doing All Honours subjects in my year, though there are a few doing 6 honours.

So the thing is even though we have amaxzng teachers and an amazing school that is all negated by the mindset of the students. yes i know it's all down to each individual student to do well and the ones who want to are, but it's harder to do well if you are in a class of people who don't bother and slow you down.

On the flip side of things if i had children i probably would send them to private school but then they could end up mixing with pompous spoilt children with no manners or regard for others but they have better academic mindset (even if it is forced upon them).

What i'm really saying is there are pro's and con's to both private and public and you can never know what they'll be until your child is in that school. It's just a chance you'll have to take.

Well that's my point we see what we can become and own this city where on the northside they see it as the government against them and they should take as much from them as possible eg dole

robbing the rich like their parents friends cool to be in prison fighting the police etc

it might be our luck we are rich, but its there fault they are poor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

D.R cowboy wrote: »

Takes a deep breath, [/attack the post not the poster.]

Do you think being poor is a choice? You have no idea how arrogant you come across as.

well if education is free and and grants are given well then its their fault for not wanting better???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Takes a deep breath, [/attack the post not the poster.]

Do you think being poor is a choice? You have no idea how arrogant you come across as.
    He has to be a troll; there's no way someone could be this proud of their ignorance and snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

>.<

Ross O'Carroll Kelly is alive and well and living in Blackrock!! :D
    well if education is free and and grants are given well then its their fault for not wanting better???
    Education isn't free, that's a FF PR myth ... even at second level, there are costs; by the time you reach third level, there are significant actual AND opportunity costs. Sure the so-called "free fees" initiative puts a cap on the fee cost, but the registration fees ARE fees, in reality, plus add costs of accommodation, books, photocopying, travel, and a myriad other things. Plus the opportunity costs of not working / earning a wage ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

some private schools did not make this the list so why bother paying for something which is bad when you can get better for free

Lawliet wrote: »
    He has to be a troll; there's no way someone could be this proud of their ignorance and snobbery.

what is a troll ??? some stupid internet name for a Dublin boy

second all i said is true its because i live in a upper class area you are judging me , some people have agreed some have not thats life get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

second all i said is true its because i live in a upper class area you are judging me ,

is it because i is white?ali-g.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

second all i said is true its because i live in a upper class area you are judging me , some people have agreed some have not thats life get over it
    Knob.

unknown13 wrote: »
    some private schools did not make this the list so why bother paying for something which is bad when you can get better for free

This goes beyond that stupid list which was based on nepotism, education goes to the root of a good society and a good life it is the foundation of everything that is good free or private school is school , but put money in the equation and it changes.

Blackrock is not on that list but they teach much more there
    pride, loyalty , respect as fr said to when a CAO worker came in about filling in the form correctly
    " the points system did not work in Africa"

No, a person who deliberately raises contentious opinions in order to stir sh*t.
    second all i said is true its because i live in a upper class area you are judging me
    I'm afraid not, people are judging you by your posts.

If it was just by your address, the verdict would be much more kind. :)

is it because i is white?ali-g.jpg

Call me what you like I don't care but please don't associate me with that fool

... education goes to the root of a good society and a good life it is the foundation of everything that is good
    There we can agree, fairly much.
    free or private school is school , but put money in the equation and it changes.
    Sure, if a school has plenty of money to spend on facilities, it's one factor likely to improve the school.

Good teachers, a good principal and a good philosophy are far more likely to improve a school though.
    as fr said to when a CAO worker came in about filling in the form correctly
    Em ... what?! 0_o

I would have thought Blackrock would have taught better communication skills ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Generalise much? You have got to live an extremely sheltered and privileged life, surrounded only by like-minded people if you genuinely believe that people choose to be poor. Why is it luck to be rich, but a choice to be poor? It makes no sense. It sounds like you don't actually know people who attend public schools and prefer to generalise like they are another species.

Btw, the lack of punctuation in your posts is not much of an advertisement for your expensive education.

This goes beyond that stupid list which was based on nepotism,"

Stupid? Because it doesn't provide a real picture of a school? Yes.

Based on nepotism? What the.....? Kindly explain.

There we can agree, fairly much.

Sure, if a school has plenty of money to spend on facilities, it's one factor likely to improve the school.

Good teachers, a good principal and a good philosophy are far more likely to improve a school though.

Em ... what?! 0_o

I would have thought Blackrock would have taught better communication skills ...

I never went to blackrock college i go to the institute of education one of the guys said that was what was said when the guy came in

don't shoot the messenger i know it makes no sense i was like what???? too

deemark wrote: »
    Stupid? Because it doesn't provide a real picture of a school? Yes.

Based on nepotism? What the.....? Kindly explain.

It Say's that the list was carried out taking into consideration economic , and social backgrounds * i hear alarm bells ringing do you

I don't mean to come across ignorant it just the way i get my point across i'm sorry if i have insulted anyone as you all seem angry at me and i don't like that

Blackrock is not on that list but they teach much more there
    pride, loyalty , respect as fr said to when a CAO worker came in about filling in the form correctly
    don't shoot the messenger i know it makes no sense i was like what???? too

It's not what he said that lacked sense; it's the way you've phrased the anecdote that is confusing.

• Advertisement

deemark wrote: »
    It's not what he said that lacked sense; it's the way you've phrased the anecdote that is confusing.
    I'm still confused; care to elucidate? ... or even link?

0_o

You choose an article about 4 young thugs and murderers, recent past-pupils of the school, to show us an exemplar of an ideal school, to tell us that this is what school should be like?!

Oh, and didn't I already say that we were in RossOCK territory? :rolleyes:
    article wrote:
    The caricature has been captured perfectly in the fictional character of Ross O'Carroll Kelly, a creation of the journalist Paul Howard, who has been immortalised in a series of bestselling books.

The social circle inhabited by Ross and his sports jock mates revolves around school rugby, expensive holidays, and sexual conquests. They wear designer clothes, communicate by text messages and speak in annoying `Dort' accents.

Despite their obvious stupidity, they display a casually superior attitude towards the rest of society.

Those with less fortunate addresses are referred to as the `Tallaghtban'. The entire northside of Dublin is known as `Knackeragua'.

Ross O'Carroll Kelly is essentially a cartoon character. But the accounts of the night that ended in the death of Brian Murphy, detailed ad nauseam in last week's newspapers, suggest that his world of glamorous girlfriends, extreme drunkenness, and casual violence may be uncomfortably closer to reality than some would like to think.

i only wanted to show you bits of that article like pride and respect , but there was to much of the case in it so i deleted it as you seen

i ask you to delete your last post as it was a bad link

i only wanted to show you bits of that article like pride and respect , but there was to much of the case in it so i deleted it as you seen

i ask you to delete your last post as it was a bad link
    A bad link, or a link which illustrates some truths which are uncomfortable for you, which don't accord with your prejudices?

Truths such as:

- no matter how "good" the school, there will always be those who tarnish its name, just as the so-called "bad" schools, with poor facilities and difficult students, will nevertheless have many who survive and succeed, and grow up as good and decent adults, even if they never drive Ferraris or own penthouse apartments;

- that filling young lads' heads with a sense of their own innate superiority is a recipe for just the sort of behaviour that characterised the Club Anabel killing.

No, I don't think I will be deleting it; you have sent an Exocet missile through your own argument, and must now see it founder at sea.

I will be closing this thread, though, I think, as it has strayed off on a tangent at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement