Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays tenancy bond?

Options
  • 09-11-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hey have found a place to rent and have agreed to move in next monday. paid deposit and moving and all is well so far. anyways meeting at the apartment after work next week and will sign the lease and move in so sounds good so far.

the letting agent said i have to pay €70 for tennancy registration. i had look at the website for this and i get the impression from the website that the landlord is due to pay.

Can someone shed a bit of light on this please?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

chris85 wrote: »
    Hey have found a place to rent and have agreed to move in next monday. paid deposit and moving and all is well so far. anyways meeting at the apartment after work next week and will sign the lease and move in so sounds good so far.

the letting agent said i have to pay €70 for tennancy registration. i had look at the website for this and i get the impression from the website that the landlord is due to pay.

Can someone shed a bit of light on this please?

Correct.
    It is the duty of the landlord to register the tenancy.
    The letting agent is chancing his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The landlord pays it.

That's unreal they are trying to make you pay it.

Next they'll be making you pay the €200 second home tax thingie as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

amdublin wrote: »
    The landlord pays it.

That's unreal they are trying to make you pay it.

Next they'll be making you pay the €200 second home tax thingie as well.

I will be in touch with them in the morning then, or am i best just telling them when moving in and signing the lease that its their responsibility to do it?

cheek of them.

can i report them to anyone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

chris85 wrote: »
    I will be in touch with them in the morning then, or am i best just telling them when moving in and signing the lease that its their responsibility to do it?

cheek of them.

can i report them to anyone?

They haven't done anything wrong- other than trying to pull a fast one on you. It is the landlords responsibility to ensure that the tenancy is registered. It doesn't specify that he has to pay the fee- but its implied. Some letting agents do try to get the tenant to pay- and some tenants do pay. There is no reason that you should pay- but you should discuss this in advance, rather than causing aggravation at a later date. I'd be very taken aback if I were asked to pay- whether it was a deal breaker or not, would depend entirely on how much I wanted the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

smccarrick wrote: »
    They haven't done anything wrong- other than trying to pull a fast one on you. It is the landlords responsibility to ensure that the tenancy is registered. It doesn't specify that he has to pay the fee- but its implied. Some letting agents do try to get the tenant to pay- and some tenants do pay. There is no reason that you should pay- but you should discuss this in advance, rather than causing aggravation at a later date. I'd be very taken aback if I were asked to pay- whether it was a deal breaker or not, would depend entirely on how much I wanted the property.

Yeah see i really like the property and have been looking around for a couple of months now and this one ticks all the boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

what did they say when you told them you weren't paying it?

Advertisement