Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi 2.0l tdi, 120bhp

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

You'll be able to buy it in a few years time as a new generation SEAT Exeo, probably with the next generation diesel engines and a lot more equipment as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I just don't get why anyone would spend A4 money - a German executive saloon no less - and then skimp on putting a half decent engine in it. Actually I do know - they want to impress the neighbours and don't give a damn how the car drives. In comparison (AFAIK) the BMW 318d is 150bhp, the 320d 170ish.

Yeah it's better than a 90bhp 1.9TDI but that's like saying a kick in the arse is better than a knee in the nuts...

pburns wrote: »
    I just don't get why anyone would spend A4 money - a German executive saloon no less - and then skimp on putting a half decent engine in it. Actually I do know - they want to impress the neighbours and don't give a damn how the car drives. In comparison (AFAIK) the BMW 318d is 150bhp, the 320d 170ish.

Yeah it's better than a 90bhp 1.9TDI but that's like saying a kick in the arse is better than a knee in the nuts...

I have a feeling you're preaching to the converted here.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

pburns wrote: »

I'd agree with this, why on earth go for the 120? even the 140 is underpowered, the 170 should be the miniumum imo. Or save up a bit more and get the 211 2.0T.

0-62 in 11s is dog slow, no matter what torques you've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Kiera20

Thanks guys for all the replies. pburns I indicated from the get go that I didn't know a lot about the A4 or it's engines which was the whole reason for posting - to look for peoples opinions and the reason I'm interested in the A4 has absolutely nothing to do with trying to impress the neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Biro wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. There's feck all between them,

I disagree. They would clock approx. the same top speed but the 1.9 would leave it for dead from 0 to 100km. There is a meaning to engine liters and sizes. There are not just digits.

copacetic wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, why on earth go for the 120? even the 140 is underpowered, the 170 should be the miniumum imo. Or save up a bit more and get the 211 2.0T.

0-62 in 11s is dog slow, no matter what torques you've got.

Ye guys are very fussy. Most cars both petrol and diesel bought in Ireland are less than 140bhp, so what are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The 120bhp has "around" the same amount of torque (per foot lb) as the 140bhp, in real terms its not going to be that noticeable on the road.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

teednab-el wrote: »
    I disagree. They would clock approx. the same top speed but the 1.9 would leave it for dead from 0 to 100km. There is a meaning to engine liters and sizes. There are not just digits.

is this a joke or are you actually saying that .1l less engine capacity makes a car much faster?

• Advertisement

Ye guys are very fussy. Most cars both petrol and diesel bought in Ireland are less than 140bhp, so what are you on about?

OK then. All cars VW Group cars badged TDI are absolute weapons, are you happy now?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

That's probably just the 1.9's all or nothing power delivery

copacetic wrote: »
    is this a joke or are you actually saying that .1l less engine capacity makes a car much faster?

In this case we are talking about 0.3l of a difference.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    OK then. All cars VW Group cars badged TDI are absolute weapons, are you happy now?:D

A diesel weapon for me is the Golf GT TDI. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

In this case we are talking about 0.3l of a difference.

The 120 brake is a 2 litre

EPM wrote: »
    The 120 brake is a 2 litre

I know that, sorry I was going back to an earlier post where someone was saying that there was no difference between 1.6d (110hp)volvo and 1.9tdi audi(115hp).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know that, sorry I was going back to an earlier post where someone was saying that there was no difference between 1.6d (110hp)volvo and 1.9tdi audi(115hp).

Not a huge difference in the real world anyway:

2005 - 2008 A4 1.9 TDi (115bhp)
    0 - 60: 10.8 sec,
    top speed: 124 mph

2004 - 2009 Volvo S40 1.6d (110bhp)
    0 - 60: 11.6 sec
    top speed: 118 mph

Source: www.parkers.co.uk

Anyway this has gone OT.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not a huge difference in the real world anyway:

2005 - 2008 A4 1.9 TDi (115bhp)
    0 - 60: 10.8 sec,
    top speed: 124 mph

2004 - 2009 Volvo S40 1.6d (110bhp)
    0 - 60: 11.6 sec
    top speed: 118 mph

Source: www.parkers.co.uk

Anyway this has gone OT.

Note the 2000 model will do it in 10 secs. www.parkers.co.uk. Thats almost 2 secs. Bit of a difference there dude. The 1.9 will do 124mph more comfortly than what the 1.6d will do at 118mph.

Yeah your right lets get back on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

note the 2000 model will do it in 10 secs. Thats almost 2 secs. Bit of a difference there dude.

Yeah your right lets get back on topic.

The 2000 A4 model is a lighter car though, I'm sure a 2000 S40 would be that bit quicker too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 2000 A4 model is a lighter car though, I'm sure a 2000 S40 would be that bit quicker too.

But there was no 1.6l diesel made for the 2000 version S40 am I correct?

Anyway, I dont want be banned from here so Im going back to the OP now, I honestly think the audi 2.0l (120BHP) car is a good buy.

But there was no 1.6l diesel made for the 2000 version S40 am I correct?

You are, although there was a 1.9 litre diesel available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement