Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the Premier League?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Everton
    Too early to say yet...

-Chelsea playing very well, with all players playing well. New manager that appears to be working out well. BUT: dropped points against Wigan and Villa; only scraped by Hull and Stoke.

-Arsenal playing incredible stuff at the minute, and could be the first Premier League team to score 100 goals in a season at this rate. BUT: dropped points against Manchester United and Manchester City and have yet to play Chelsea (should be an absolute cracker!)

-Manchester United are not as unreal as they were last season, but still a huge, huge threat in the League. I never like betting against Man United. Ever. People who write them off: do so at your own risk. BUT: Lost to both Chelsea and Liverpool and were fortunate against Arsenal and Man City; sorely miss Ronaldo.

-Liverpool are reeling from one bloody blow after another and this could very well be the season where they fall out of the Top 5, never mind Top 4. They are haemorrhaging points at an alarming rate, clocking up losses to Chelsea, Fulham, Sunderland, Spurs and Villa and only managing a draw with Birmingham. No 'BUT' here, Liverpool really need a serious overhaul.

In the race for the title, there appears to be only 3 candidates in the form of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United. Now, the race for a spot in the Top Four... There is an interesting little conundrum...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Mr Alan wrote: »
    thats what i predict tbh.

despite Utds best league start in a number of years this season, Chelsea are 5 points clear in November, gonna strenghten in Jan & still have Joe Cole & Zhirkov to come back into the fold.

Fair enough we'll see what happens I suppose. Arsenal play Chelsea at home quite soon after the International break. I think this game could go a long way to determining how the season shapes, and whether your prediction is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Btw Alan you should really get on Chelsea at close to Evs if you're that confident. Or are there any markets offered where you can subtract points like a handicap League bet? Because you could possibly get a nice price at Chelsea -5 points or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Sunderland
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Us Chelsea fans certainly think United's collapse and our EEZ-EEEY title is hilarious stuff

About as hilarious as most other fans find your constant failures in the Champions League to be honest.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Portsmouth
    DazMarz wrote: »
    -Manchester United are not as unreal as they were last season, but still a huge, huge threat in the League. I never like betting against Man United. Ever. People who write them off: do so at your own risk. BUT: Lost to both Chelsea and Liverpool and were fortunate against Arsenal and Man City; sorely miss Ronaldo.

In fairness that's a bit selective. You say we were fortunate against Arsenal and City (don't agree with respect to City) but you fail to note we were unfortunate against Chelsea. Liverpool admittedly deserved their win at Anfield.

Chelsea still have Arsenal and Man City coming up in the near future. United beat these teams but can Chelsea? I have my doubts. I reckon Arsenal will beat them anyway. Not sure about City.

I hope Arsenal take the title if United fail to win it as they play some fantastic stuff. United in my view are still short of quality and need to make signings in January to have a chance. I have faith in Fergie though to keep us involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Everton
    flahavaj wrote: »
    About as hilarious as most other fans find your constant failures in the Champions League to be honest.:pac:
    I found last years final quite hilarious tbh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Sunderland
    CHD wrote: »
    I found last years final quite hilarious tbh :pac:
    Not as funny as the semi in all fairness.;)

<could go on all night>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Everton
    Im wide awake ;)

Anyway yeah Chelsea are favourites. Arsenal can win it, United too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Portsmouth

despite Utds best league start in a number of years this season, Chelsea are 5 points clear in November,

United's best start in a number of seasons? How do you work that out - they won the league the last 3 seasons having not lost more than 5 games per season. Last season they lost 4 in total. This season, they've already lost 3.

I still think they're well within a shout & you'd be a fool to write them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Everton
    they've started slowly the last number of years, they'd accumulated more points after a certain number of games this season than they had in years, thats why despite not being top, Utd fans were happy with their start this season.

Portsmouth
    Us Chelsea fans certainly think United's collapse and our EEZ-EEEY title is hilarious stuff

So eeee-eeezy they've only won so many that you could count on, what, two fingers? Or 3 in the entire history of the league.

At least Utd fans have to add toes to count their trophies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Portsmouth
    United have, and always will be, better after Christmas. This is even more true this year as we've been re-adjusting our system to deal with Ronaldo leaving. While I'm not happy with where we are, we're only worse than the top 4 due to our losses to Liverpool and Chelsea, both of which I feel can be turned around at Home and with Fletcher/Hargreaves playing. As such, I think its still well open. While we've been ****e this season, and the big teams have shown us up, in the 10 other games, we've won 8, drawn 1 and lost 1. If we keep that form up we'll end up on 82 points, not including the games against Liverpool and Chelsea. Win those, and we're on 86 and probably going to win the league or be very close.

Considering we've been ****e this season so far, which most people would accept, and we're only going to get better, which most people would accept, I think it's all still to play for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Everton
    So eeee-eeezy they've only won so many that you could count on, what, two fingers? Or 3 in the entire history of the league.

UTD fans take everything so seriously. Did the comments here about the referee's performance on Sunday from non United fans make you lose faith in the Board:(:(?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Portsmouth
    On a side note, while I much prefer to lose to Chelsea, since once the Russian leaves the club won't be competing long-term (possibly in the PL with their wage bill), I think if we were to lose, I'd like it to be to Arsenal.

That hurts me a lot because I really feel a great rivalry with Arsenal, but at the same time, I think what Wenger has done on his budget managing a transfer to a new stadium is just utterly outstanding, and puts him down as one of the greatest managers I've ever seen, up their with Ferguson. While I think that he is this no matter what, most people won't realise the amazing work he's done in a club in transition without some trophies to show for it. I think it'd be a fitting end to his tenure. However I think I'd prefer to get 19 first, then he can have it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Stoke City
    UTD fans take everything so seriously. Did the comments here about the referee's performance on Sunday from non United fans make you lose faith in the Board:(:(?

not just aimed at this post,not at all really, just in general i really hope you moderate with more intelligence then you post here....i really do

• Advertisement

Stoke City
    voted for Portsmouth and wasnt alone oddly!

it will be a 3 horse race if Arsenal can keep playing their football in the rain, I think they may go close this year if the have developed an extra bit of steel

Other then that the usual suspects, United and Chelsea, Chelsea are strong, but not infallable and we should get enough points to at least be in there till the end, we will see what happens when Chelsea hit their bad patch, see how harmonious the squad really is!

The match at the weekend proved one thing, that on any day either team can beat the other so it will come down to who does better against the rest as usual

Hopefully it will be united, but as i have been saying, i view this season as a transitional one and i will be happy to give a good account of ourselves by May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Manchester City
    I can see the Pool coming good after Christmas. Slow and steady wins the race!

Portsmouth
    they'd accumulated more points after a certain number of games this season than they had in years,

No, they haven't - I pulled you up because you are incorrect. Here's the facts;

United after 12 games 2009/10 = 25pts
    2008/09 = 24pts
    2007/08 = 26pts
    2006/07 = 31pts
    2005/06 = 24pts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Portsmouth
    kryogen wrote: »
    not just aimed at this post,not at all really, just in general i really hope you moderate with more intelligence then you post here....i really do

Glad to know im not the only one thinking that.

There is an awful lot of people counting UTD out of this league already if we had a bit more up front on sunday there would have been a lot of people eating their words.

Just because Chelsea are going to buy big in January doesnt mean that those players are going to fit in straight away could even be a bad influence on the team.

Its hard to look beyond Chelsea at the minute but when we get into the buisness end of the league I know what manager I would want.

Portsmouth

And then the pot called the kettle black.

• Advertisement

Portsmouth

Slow and steady? I'd call 20 years downright lethargic!

Stoke City
    No, they haven't - I pulled you up because you are incorrect. Here's the facts;

United after 12 games 2009/10 = 25pts
    2008/09 = 24pts
    2007/08 = 26pts
    2006/07 = 31pts
    2005/06 = 24pts

so your point is we are on a par with the last 4 years bar one?

is that a bad thing? not sure i get your point like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Portsmouth

So What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Portsmouth

Meanwhile Back On Planet Earth................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Been very impressed with our start so far, so although i feel Chelsea are in a better position to do so, i've gone for the Arsenal!

Portsmouth
    so your point is we are on a par with the last 4 years bar one?

is that a bad thing? not sure i get your point like

Mr. Alan said that United have had their best start to the season in years. I told him that that was untrue - he disagreed again, so I simply pointed out the facts... my point was that he was wrong, nothing more, nothing less.

There's no point going round saying "this is our best start to the season in years" when you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Stoke City
    Mr. Alan said that United have had their best start to the season in years. I told him that that was untrue - he disagreed again, so I simply pointed out the facts... my point was that he was wrong, nothing more, nothing less.

There's no point going round saying "this is our best start to the season in years" when you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Mr. Alan is a liverpool fan, although we have our doubts!

anyways, after the first few games it was our best start to a season for the past 3-4 years, not sure which, now it has plateud back to our par points total at this stage.......not disasterous considering the quality of opposition we have faced so far, quite happy with the season so far

Portsmouth
    after the first few games it was our best start to a season for the past 3-4 years, not sure which,

My statometer tells me it was the 2006/2007 season.

After 4 games...

06/07 = 12pts
    07/08 = 5pts
    08/09 = 5pts
    09/10 = 9pts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Aston Villa
    One thing that I haven't seen mentioned and that may count against Chelsea is that for all that he has won, Ancelotti only ever won serie A once. He doesn't have the same experience that Ferguson and Wenger have in closing out a league campaign.

Portsmouth
    carlop wrote: »
    One thing that I haven't seen mentioned and that may count against Chelsea is that for all that he has won, Ancelotti only ever won serie A once. He doesn't have the same experience that Ferguson and Wenger have in closing out a league campaign.

Why Chelsea ever got rid of Mourinho is beyond me entirely.

• Advertisement

Everton
    Why Chelsea ever got rid of Mourinho is beyond me entirely.

Why we ever got rid of Grant is a much better question.

Portsmouth
    Why we ever got rid of Grant is a much better question.

I liked Grant too - he didn't win anything with Chelsea, unlike Mourinho, but I've no doubt that given time, he definitely would have been brilliant for the Blues. Player rotation is one thing, but Chelsea's system of manager rotation is astounding - especially given the high quality of the managers they've shipped out under Abramovic.

Personally, I would love Mourinho to take over from Fergie when he retires / kicks the bucket (whichever comes first!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Everton
    Chelsea. With ease imo.

What would you define as "with ease" Alan? Just so we can all bookmark it for the end of the season. :D

I'm a United fan but I've voted Chelsea. They're a very good team with a solid squad and a manager who has them playing well. United are basically playing in a completely different way than we've done for a number of years and it's going to take time for that to click consistently. For this reason, I can see us having more slip ups than Chelsea.

If United don't win it I'd absolutely love for Arsenal to. There's so much to admire about the way Wenger runs that club. They play superb football too. I'm sure any neutral would like them to win it but I just feel that they'll eventually go on a bad run while Chelsea's experience will stand to them.

Portsmouth
    nkay1985 wrote: »

I'm a United fan but I've voted Chelsea.
    If United don't win it I'd absolutely love for Arsenal to.

You call yourself a fan. (Tut!)

Everton
    I liked Grant too - he didn't win anything with Chelsea, unlike Mourinho, but I've no doubt that given time, he definitely would have been brilliant for the Blues. Player rotation is one thing, but Chelsea's system of manager rotation is astounding - especially given the high quality of the managers they've shipped out under Abramovic.

Personally, I would love Mourinho to take over from Fergie when he retires / kicks the bucket (whichever comes first!).

I can't blame Grant for Terry slipping on a pitch, he did amazingly to get us that far. He got us to the last day of the Premiership with a chance of winning and if we had have had Grant's average points total for the whole 38 games we would have finished top (although that means nothing), made some great long term signings in Anelka, Ivanovic and Di Santo and was a nice guy to top it all off. Only thing he did badly was choking in the Carling Cup final which wasn't a big deal.

The thing about our manager rotation was Jose had to go because he had made too many enemies at the club, Grant never should have gotten the job but that ultimately went against him because anyone with his record who was qualified enough to get it would have stayed, Scolari should have always gone, Hiddink couldn't stay and Ranieri is debatable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Everton
    You call yourself a fan. (Tut!)

Yep. A fan. And a realist.

Portsmouth
    I can't blame Grant for Terry slipping on a pitch

You can laugh though! No - I agree with you though, Grant really should have stayed.. in league terms in the last 5 years, United & Chelsea have been almost insepearable - 3 titles to us, 2 to you... 10 league games (not including this season) with 4 wins to Chelsea, 3 to Utd & 3 draws... add to that both teams qualifying for the CL final & ending it with the lottery that is penalties - I'd say if it weren't for Grant not being there, Chelsea might even be tipping us in the trophy department.

Portsmouth
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yep. A fan. And a realist.

There's no place for realism in The Theatre of Dreams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Birmingham City
    chelsea at a canter

that didnt stop me voting villa to skew votes and make us the 4th favourite though lol

• Advertisement

Portsmouth
    Helix wrote: »
    chelsea at a canter

You'd have to go back to the 99/00 season to find any team wining it at a canter. Somehow I don't see anyone pipping the post with more than 18 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Everton
    Chelsea to win it with 3 games to spare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Aston Villa
    After only 11 rounds it's a bit premature, but I say Arsenal have the form ATM. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chelsea finish 3rd - Ancelotti won two championships in 14 years, and showed a weakness vs small sides in Italy, so I think there's room for a collapse, particularly as he is in his first season in a new climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Aston Villa
    I'm not sure why people are so confident on Chelsea. In half the games I've seen them they've been less than impressive and snuck wins. That kind of luck only lasts so long.

And they were already found out at a smaller team.

I think this season it's definitely harder to call. None of the top four are really leaps and bounds ahead. United are weaker than last season.

I think it could be any of the current top 3 that take it.

Arsenal have amazing attacking options and are a year older and tougher.

And I also wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool get in and around there when they have all their best players fit for a run of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Everton
    I reckon first, most likely Chelsea, will win by 5/7 points, Arsenal will be second about 5/7 points clear of third Man Utd. After that its pure guesswork! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Aston Villa
    Arsenal for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Aston Villa
    Arsenal for me too, I'm biased, but if they can keep playing like they're playing they look a good bet, and they are showing more metal and solidarity and the young lads are really maturing nicely..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Aston Villa
    Backed The Gunners at 10's at the start of the year and I'm pretty happy so far! Only two losses in Manchester so far, one of which they where unlucky to lose!

I don't get people saying Chelsea at ease as they haven't had a difficult away game yet maybe apart from Villa which they lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

Aston Villa
    arsenal by a point or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Everton
    I was tempted to tick Hull myself but went for Chelski.

It will probably be between them and Utd again. While Arsenal are playing great stuff their draw with West Ham 2 weeks ago illustrates they are still liable to fcuk up when you least expect them. Chelsea have been the most consistent and have a squad good enough to cope with most injuries unlike Arsenal. Utd. as always will up there and will give them most to think about but have lost their main match-winner in Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Portsmouth
    I reckon it could be either united or chelsea with it going down to the last day Utd are in a winning habit, habits are hard to break

third place arsenal 4th is up for grabs but it'll be one team that runs away with it with 30 or so games gone it'll already be settled come final day of the season
    Basement wise i think it will be portsmouth, hull and possibly wolves proping up the table i don't think wolves are strong enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement