Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the Premier League?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

Portsmouth
    I think utd with chelsea very close behind. Chelsea look very strong but have had a blip or two which could be a sign of weakness, especially during african nations cup. United usually start slowly and this year have started better than most others.

I dont know why so many people think arsenal will do it. There are only 11/12 games gone and granted they are doing great at the moment but they have only played one of the other big 3 and they lost it. in addition to this the next biggest team is probably man city and they lost that too. Next biggest after that is beating spurs with a lot of injuries and a terrible everton display. not only that but they have been known to self distruct in previous years. I do think they will be a lot closer than other years but I dont think they can go from no challenge one year to a league WIN the next. I wont be betting on them anyway.

Whatever happens I think it'll be close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

Everton
    although i voted that chelsea will win, and i'm a united supporter, it will be interesting to see how they fair when drogba, essien etc leave for the african nations cup.
    they will be at their most vulnerable then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Aston Villa
    caffrey wrote: »

at the moment but they have only played one of the other big 3 and they lost it.

Look at the head to head for the past few years in the league for the big 4, I think you'll find Arsenal fair well in this, and usually throw points away against lesser opposition. This year they have been dispatching these teams with ease

I dont think they can go from no challenge one year to a league WIN the next. I wont be betting on them anyway.

2 years ago, Arsenal could very well have won the league, they were very close and they had a great year last year from xmas on reaching the champions league semis and picking up most of their points haul after xmas.

I really do think this is Arsenal's year, someone also mentioned Arsenal's vulnerability to injuries, well check out www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php and look who has the most players out injured..:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Manchester City
    Excellent, I love when people write United off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Everton
    I really do think this is Arsenal's year, someone also mentioned Arsenal's vulnerability to injuries, well check out www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php and look who has the most players out injured..:cool:

None of those 7 are really key players. If Gallas, Vermaelen, Fabregas, van Persie, even Song were on that list instead of the mostly squad players that are on it, Arsenal would struggle. They can't afford any lengthy injuries to any of those players really.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

Portsmouth
    None of those 7 are really key players. If Gallas, Vermaelen, Fabregas, van Persie, even Song were on that list instead of the mostly squad players that are on it, Arsenal would struggle. They can't afford any lengthy injuries to any of those players really.

agreed, also think diaby is coming good for them lately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Aston Villa
    Disgusted I cant find my post from before the league starting stating that it would be as follows...

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Tottenham

and City somewhere between 6th and 8th.

Oh how you all guffawked!!!:pac:

Honestly hope Arsenal do it, they play just...beautifully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Everton
    agreed, also think diaby is coming good for them lately

ye what:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Portsmouth
    FearDark wrote: »
    Disgusted I cant find my post from before the league starting stating that it would be as follows...

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Tottenham

and City somewhere between 6th and 8th.

Oh how you all guffawked!!!:pac:

Honestly hope Arsenal do it, they play just...beautifully.

Spurs will not finish 4th. No chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Aston Villa

Ya I agree with that, but you could make the same point if Chelsea were without Terry, Carvalho, Lampard, Drogba even Essien.. The same holds true for united, in fact it is happening right now, with them missing their regular central defenders..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Aston Villa
    African Nations will really dent Chelsea's chances. I hope Arsenal can pull it off over United and Chelsea. Liverpool are out of it but they will make an end of season comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Aston Villa
    African Nations will really dent Chelsea's chances. I hope Arsenal can pull it off over United and Chelsea. Liverpool are out of it but they will make an end of season comeback.

They can cope without Kalou and Mikel but Drogba's gonna be a massive loss then unless Anelka can step up,he done it before when Drog was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Aston Villa
    Gillington wrote: »
    They can cope without Kalou and Mikel but Drogba's gonna be a massive loss then unless Anelka can step up,he done it before when Drog was out.
    Won't Essien be gone too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Everton

No it wont. That is completely under-estimating the strength of Chelsea's squad. Just look at their bench and you see Malouda, Joe Cole and Zhirkov still has to come back. Of course any team would miss Essien and Drogba but it is only for 3 PL games and 2 of them are handy, I know one of them is Birmingham and some other team that wont bother them. Arsenal are one of those 3 games though but as i said they have the squad to cope and I wouldnt be too worried about the African Nations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Birmingham City
    Chelsea have relatively easy games during the ANC and i really dont see why people keep suggesting it will really test them. All (cept maybe Arsenal im not sure if that is the one hard game during this time) their games during this time are against teams I would expect to be in the bottom half of the table and teams that Anelka with Sturridge as backup in the classic chelsea 451 should be good enough to deal with not to mention the rediculous array of top players they have in midfield who arent african (Lampard, Cole, Ballack, Deco, Zhirkov, Malouda etc) and anyone who they could sign at that time now that their ban has been suspended.

I voted Villa, as well... the OP gave me the option :) but Chelsea are by far the strongest candidates this year. Would not rule Man Utd out or Arsenal (who id love to see win the league) but I just expect one of them (maybe both) to be the team chasing Chelsea all year and making it a little less easy than many think.

just as interesting a question for me is who wont make the top 4? Liverpool, City, both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

Everton
    i will be very surprised if chelsea dont win it.. even if they get a few injuries, they have subs who are more than capable of filling in, no doubt in my mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

concerning the ANC

i think chelsea players like Essien, drogba etc will be tired after that tournament
    so that also could go against chelsea

(of course it depends how far they go in the tournament)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Everton
    Chelsea have relatively easy games during the ANC and i really dont see why people keep suggesting it will really test them. All (cept maybe Arsenal im not sure if that is the one hard game during this time) their games during this time are against teams I would expect to be in the bottom half of the table and teams that Anelka with Sturridge as backup in the classic chelsea 451 should be good enough to deal with not to mention the rediculous array of top players they have in midfield who arent african (Lampard, Cole, Ballack, Deco, Zhirkov, Malouda etc) and anyone who they could sign at that time now that their ban has been suspended.

I voted Villa, as well... the OP gave me the option :) but Chelsea are by far the strongest candidates this year. Would not rule Man Utd out or Arsenal (who id love to see win the league) but I just expect one of them (maybe both) to be the team chasing Chelsea all year and making it a little less easy than many think.

just as interesting a question for me is who wont make the top 4? Liverpool, City, both?[/QUOTE]

I think it will be the same top 4 as ever. Liverpool while losing nearly half of their games are still (I think) only 3 pts off fourth. City wont make it and neither will Spurs. If any teams will, it will be Villa or maybe Everton if they get over their horrid injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Everton
    As a Liverpool fan with realistic expectations I voted for Chelsea.

They have the strongest squad out of the top sides, they look hungry this season.

I don't think they will miss the African players as much as people make out to believe when the Cup of Nations rolls around, and now they don't have a transfer ban in January, they will strengthen even more.

Arsenal will push them all the way, as will United, but both will come up short

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Everton
    DazMarz wrote: »
    Too early to say yet...

-Chelsea playing very well, with all players playing well. New manager that appears to be working out well. BUT: dropped points against Wigan and Villa; only scraped by Hull and Stoke.

-Arsenal playing incredible stuff at the minute, and could be the first Premier League team to score 100 goals in a season at this rate. BUT: dropped points against Manchester United and Manchester City and have yet to play Chelsea (should be an absolute cracker!)

-Manchester United are not as unreal as they were last season, but still a huge, huge threat in the League. I never like betting against Man United. Ever. People who write them off: do so at your own risk. BUT: Lost to both Chelsea and Liverpool and were fortunate against Arsenal and Man City; sorely miss Ronaldo.

-Liverpool are reeling from one bloody blow after another and this could very well be the season where they fall out of the Top 5, never mind Top 4. They are haemorrhaging points at an alarming rate, clocking up losses to Chelsea, Fulham, Sunderland, Spurs and Villa and only managing a draw with Birmingham. No 'BUT' here, Liverpool really need a serious overhaul.

In the race for the title, there appears to be only 3 candidates in the form of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United. Now, the race for a spot in the Top Four... There is an interesting little conundrum...
    In fairness that's a bit selective. You say we were fortunate against Arsenal and City (don't agree with respect to City) but you fail to note we were unfortunate against Chelsea. Liverpool admittedly deserved their win at Anfield.

Chelsea still have Arsenal and Man City coming up in the near future. United beat these teams but can Chelsea? I have my doubts. I reckon Arsenal will beat them anyway. Not sure about City.

I hope Arsenal take the title if United fail to win it as they play some fantastic stuff. United in my view are still short of quality and need to make signings in January to have a chance. I have faith in Fergie though to keep us involved.

But I've picked holes in all the top four teams' form so far! I'm being selective with all the teams, pointing out some pros and some cons.

I don't think Arsenal will have the mental strength to win the really crucial games against the likes of Man United, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, etc. It's fine to be able to steam past the likes of B'burn, Stoke, Hull et al, by 4 or 5 goals, but when it comes to the business end of things, if you want to win the league, you have to beat the big boys. Simple as. (And I am well aware that Liverpool did that last season, but they still failed to win the league...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Portsmouth
    if you want to win the league, you have to beat the big boys. Simple as. (And I am well aware that Liverpool did that last season, but they still failed to win the league...)

We won't mention the last two centuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It's fine to be able to steam past the likes of B'burn, Stoke, Hull et al, by 4 or 5 goals, but when it comes to the business end of things, if you want to win the league, you have to beat the big boys. Simple as.

Arsenal generally have a good record against the big teams in the league (they do well enough in the big 4 table).

There are 84 points to be got against the lower teams, 30 against top 4 + City + Spurs (I include Spurs because these derbies are big matches for Arsenal). It's clearly far more important to pick up as many points as possible from the lower teams, that's what wins you the league in my opinion!

The reason Arsenal haven't done well in recent years is a failure to get points from these games. They've done well so far this year (drew against West Ham), long may it continue.

Advertisement