Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halogen oven

Options
  • 09-11-2009 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

My mother just presented me with a 7 litre halogen oven, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with it, and for how long.

I think it will be handy for cooking for one (saves preheating the oven etc. etc. for just one person - particularly for things that are only supposed to take 10 minutes anyway).

I'm going to try a pasta bake, a small piece of beef, and a jacket potato over the coming week, but if anyone has one and has any ideas, or hints and tips, let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

have seen it advertised, they do infomercial on it sometimes on tv3
    I think you can cook anything you want in it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but I was wondering how the OP was getting on with the halogen oven. I'm considering getting one for stuff like chips, baked potatoes, or the odd cake, but as with all new tech I'd love to get reviews from people who use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My mother has one and uses it constantly, for scones, cookies, chips, reheating dinners, fish cakes, all sorts of things. She loves it because it saves her heating up the proper oven for dinner for one, or for quick things like scones. It's very handy, have been keeping an eye out for one myself but because she got hers for a ridiculously cheap price I don't want to buy one until I see one for the same price, hasn't happened yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I have one, got it pretty cheap from argos around february.. love it
    for potatoes, or whole chickens or roast veg or.. anything you'd put in an oven it's great and uses a fraction of the power (and so god damn easy to clean. little bit of warm water in the bowl, little bit of fairy and scrub away.. takes no time at all).
    it's also great as a grill, if you want to make some toast or grill some chicken breasts/chops. Some models have a little tray you can use to fry things like eggs/sausages/rashers but... mine doesn't and I already have a frying pan, so.. *shrug*.

one thing i've noticed is that when i'm cooking a whole chicken.. while it does come out tasting delicious, because of how close the breasts of the chicken are to the heating element the skin can get a little burnt some times.. depending obviously on how long I leave it in, the temperature and the size of the chicken.. the closer it is to the element the more likely that is to happen.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4235613/Trail/searchtext%3EHALOGEN+OVEN.htm

is the one I have

you can pretty much cook anything in it that you would in an oven, you just reduce the temperature a little bit and because it's clear you can check its progress alot easier (things should normally cook quicker, although baked potatos don't cook any faster.. I read online why that is, but i forget now).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks, I might save up and treat myself to one, it'd be good for those times I want to do baked potatoes, but don't want to turn on the oven for just one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We have one and use it for absolutely everything, pork chops are particularly delicious from it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A family friend got a present of one, but is a bit wary of new gadgets, so hasn't used it yet. Must borrow it at some stage, how would it fair slow cooked things over a few hours? Or are they not meant for that sort of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

They only have a timer for one hour, so they're meant for quick cooking.

Advertisement