Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unstable guy throws a wobbler on RTE!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I missed it. was it Brian Lenihan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

KetchupKid wrote: »
    I agree completely, but he had a lot of good points. My favourite part was when he said something like "I'm going to steal a field from some old woman". It's a pity that he ranted so long, because his initial points were great and I would have loved to have seen The Plank try to answer, but the rant went on so much Pat could just blow him off as a crazy person. Despite that Pat didn't handle it well and it was very uncomfortable.

I wonder if RTE will cut that bit when they repeat the show? If so, I hope it ends up on Youtube.

The strangest part is that he then segued into Hannah Montana, probably the worst segue in RTE history!

Have to say on a side point... Kenny on The Late Late Show, a complete plank, unconvincing, unsincere, struggling and basically unwatchable....

Kenny on this platform, I genuinely think that this is his "thing", I could watch it all night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

They should rename the show ,cross the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

TV highlight of the year - hilarious car crash television.

Kenny and RTE had it coming though - the RTE board deserved that bashing not Kenny.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I already put this up in the television forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭vinylrules

I thought Pat handled it pretty well. They could easily have cut to a break but they let the guy rant for quite a while, until he began to repeat himself. If Pat was rattled he certainly didn't show it.

For those who think the guy had some good points - maybe he did but where will this end? Maybe at Croke Park on Saturday someone should rant at the footballers for earning ridiculous amounts of money for kicking a few balls about the place and getting the odd one on target. Or at a U2 show we could have a go at Bono for earning all that tax free money.
    Of course most RTE personalites are very well paid - it's the fault of those who pay them e.g. RTE management. I reckon there'll be quite a shock for many of the big names when it comes around to signing the next contract. The money just won't be there.

Anyway, the politics of envy never looks pretty no matter what way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Kenny on this platform, I genuinely think that this is his "thing", I could watch it all night...

He's watchable when it's genuine political stuff, it's disturbing really to see this after years of finding him insufferable in his multitude of "Light Entertainment" programming over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

nesf wrote: »
    He's a lot more topical than the "Oh won't someone please think of the children!" crap...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

:D

And thanks to the panel on their views on how we're going to have to start eating our grandparents in order to survive in 2010.

Now, onto the real meaty matter tonight, do you know where your child is and are they having sex? If you can't see them, then they could be doing anything your filthy repressed Catholic guilt ridden mind could imagine. Yes, even the toddlers.

• Advertisement

Where has this guy been living for the last ten years, we dropped the auld "£" many years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

very funny stuff, mouth was moving much faster than his brain, the lady beside him managed to keep hear face expressionless, i'd have wet myself

Where has this guy been living for the last ten years, we dropped the auld "£" many years ago...

I dunno, but he spent them & the previous 10years building up a serious amount of anger! Class stuff!

I dunno, but he spent them & the previous 10years building up a serious amount of anger! Class stuff!

On a serious note though, another poster put up a video of the same lad roaring at David Begg last Friday during the protest march in Dublin...

The last time this happened to Pat Kenny, the offender came back and tried to park a car in Kenny's dressing room...

I'd be worried that your man who went off his rocker tonight is not in control and that kind of anger can drive people to do all sorts of things... It was just an out of control rant, one minute the enemy is Kenny, the next minute it's Hanafin and then it's all about suing some woman over a field...

My money says we haven't seen the last of this lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

ateam wrote: »
    TV highlight of the year - hilarious car crash television.

Kenny and RTE had it coming though - the RTE board deserved that bashing not Kenny.

It reminded me of Eamon Dunphy ranting about Cowen earning more than the US President on the Marian Finucane show earlier in the year. We discover a few months later that Dunphy actually earns more than both of them for his punditry work on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

On a serious note though, another poster put up a video of the same lad roaring at David Begg last Friday during the protest march in Dublin...

The last time this happened to Pat Kenny, the offender came back and tried to park a car in Kenny's dressing room...

I'd be worried that your man who went off his rocker tonight is not in control and that kind of anger can drive people to do all sorts of things... It was just an out of control rant, one minute the enemy is Kenny, the next minute it's Hanafin and then it's all about suing some woman over a field...

My money says we haven't seen the last of this lad!

I have heard he has verbally assaulted Richard Dawkins, David Begg and now Pat Kenny. Who is next?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Most Live RTE stuff has a garda or two at it.. something about taking over a live broadcast IRA type of thing suprised they dident shut him up before that...

The amount of crap TV personalitys have to put up with Id only work on TV for 900 grand a year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

vinylrules wrote: »
    I thought Pat handled it pretty well. They could easily have cut to a break but they let the guy rant for quite a while, until he began to repeat himself. If Pat was rattled he certainly didn't show it.

srsly? He looked pretty shaken to me and couldn't say anything worthwhile afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭irishultra

what a freakin nut :eek:

watching it live will long live in the memory. thank you you crazy nut, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

afatbollix wrote: »
    Most Live RTE stuff has a garda or two at it.. something about taking over a live broadcast IRA type of thing suprised they dident shut him up before that...

The amount of crap TV personalitys have to put up with Id only work on TV for 900 grand a year..

I think it was good that they allowed him to talk. If it went to an ad, that's censorship.

• Advertisement

I think though that this guy has completely diminished the debate with that performance tonight... He's clearly off his head, now anyone who gets anyway at all aninimated on a live current affairs show, in relation to a genuine point of view, will be lamped in with this lad...

At a time like now, I think it's important that the voice of the person who is passionate about their point of view, is allowed to emerge, our politicians need to hear the hardship that some people are suffering, but this rant tonight was just a pathethic cry for attention...

.. It was just an out of control rant, one minute the enemy is Kenny, the next minute it's Hanafin and then it's all about suing some woman over a field...

The reference to suing a woman over a field was in realtion to a land dispute between Kenny & his next door neighbour. It was actually the neighbour though, who was suing Kenny & not the other way around.

ateam wrote: »
    I think it was good that they allowed him to talk. If it went to an ad, that's censorship.

I think they allowed him to make a complete fool of himself. They must have thought for a second that this great orator had turned up in the audience, here comes someone who will bring the debate up to the face of the minister....

Then they discover a guy who is two seconds away from ripping the chair off the studio floor and bouncing it off Kenny, he has no real argument, he resorts to implied agression to make his point because his rant cannot stand up on its own merits, then he starts sh*teing on about suing a woman with a field...

A terrible judgement call by RTE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭irishultra

wtf was up with his hand gestures?

The reference to suing a woman over a field was in realtion to a land dispute between Kenny & his next door neighbour. It was actually the neighbour though, who was suing Kenny & not the other way around.

I thought RTE had a 15 minute live delay so disturbed nutjobs like this clown didn't get airtime???

Yeah just watched it again there and your right, he's patronising Kenny on the land dispute, claiming that he did it to get "another million or two"...

Serves him right for owning a trophy site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

To be fair it's about time someone said something on live TV about the cosy little circle RTÉ presenters and others have got going.

Pat and others earn serious bucks from licence fee payers. In a recession they could do us all a favour and start accepting reduced salaries instead of the overinflated wages they are given at present. We pay for it afterall-if they could even shave 1% off the licence fee by reducing their overvalued wages they'd be doing us all a favour.

€600k for Pat, €400k+ for Tubridy, €550k for Gerry Ryan? It's just funny money they are earning in the middle of a crippling recession while the licence payer is expected to foot the bill by law. Even the TV licence ad mentions how "the recession" is not an excuse to default on your payments, such condescending bullsh*t.

segaBOY wrote: »
    To be fair it's about time someone said something on live TV about the cosy little circle RTÉ presenters and others have got going.

Pat and others earn serious bucks from licence fee payers. In a recession they could do us all a favour and start accepting reduced salaries instead of the overinflated wages they are given at present. We pay for it afterall-if they could even shave 1% off the licence fee by reducing their overvalued wages they'd be doing us all a favour.

€600k for Pat, €400k+ for Tubridy, €550k for Gerry Ryan? It's just funny money they are earning in the middle of a crippling recession while the licence payer is expected to foot the bill by law. Even the TV licence ad mentions how "the recession" is not an excuse to default on your payments, such condescending bullsh*t.

He did have a point although he was completely unable to communicate it and made himself look like a clown...

There isn't a single politician or TV personality that couldn't be accused of being overpaid, so why single out Kenny??? They all have their snouts in the national trough....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

He did have a point although he was completely unable to communicate it and made himself look like a clown...

There isn't a single politician or TV personality that couldn't be accused of being overpaid, so why single out Kenny??? They all have their snouts in the national trough....

Completely agree, and as presenters go-Pat Kenny agreed to take a voluntary pay cut long before Gerry Ryan or Ryan Tubridy were almost forced to which says a lot.

The guy did himself no favours in the way he handled his time on air, but I think his intentions were good, feel kind of sorry more for the way he's going to be/is being ridiculed than anything else I guess as his points were pretty valid if they were simply delivered in a more rational way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

I would imagine that Pat Kenny is happy to have this out of the way as it was a ticking time bomb.

Advertisement