Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unstable guy throws a wobbler on RTE!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Rantan wrote: »
    "Our liberal laws regarding the crazy" ???
    I hope I am misinterpreting you but thats a pretty scary attitude you have. The guy is a bit unhinged and in my opinion probably needs bit of help. What exactly is too liberal about our "liberal laws regarding the crazy" most of which date back to Victorian times??

the mental health act has been updated as recently as around 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Remember this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiIsIE8iT28

Pat is a magnet to these looney tunes.:D

Even manages to get abuse from guests. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

irish_bob wrote: »
    no one in ireland can be detained in a mental institution against thier will indefinatley unless they cause grevious bodily harm to someone or fatally wound someone , you can run up and down your local town screaming at the top of your voice that the world is about to end and that the devil is driving the numbe ten bus and while the guards may bring you into the station or bring you home , that will be the end of it , thier was a guy from the midlands who was up in dublin for the weekend a few years ago , attending his cousins stag party , on his way back to his cousins appartment later that night , he was attacked in the corridor by a guy wielding a garden rake and stabbed 72 times to death , when arrested , the fruitcake who murdered the young mindland man claimed he had killed the devil , i for one believe this guy was a ticking timebomb and thier should have been pre-emptive action taken before this tragedy occurred

thier was a man called brendan o donnell who murdered a young mother , her young child and the local parish priest in a small village in county clare back in 1994 , the same psycho when in court claimed the devil told him to commit theese appalling crimes , my mum is from that part of the country and o,donnell was notorious in the area from he was very young yet he could not be touched , as i said earlier , i have a cousin who is a religous fanatic and a headcase , he goes around his family home shouting about how jesus is coming as soon as the lisbon treaty is passed and about how he wants to bury an axe in most of his neighbours heads , his sisters have all been physically assaulted and have not been home in years for fear of being killed , the guards and doctors have been at the house several times but have told his family nothing can be done unless someone brings charges against him or untill he commits actual violence , it will then enter the realm of criminality but that a mere assault charge would just result in a psychatric report and a possible short term jail sentence , nothing final

i myself sometimes attend my cousins GP surgery , i was recently in the docs surgery for a chest infection , he asked me how things were with my cousin, i said they were the same , he told me the liberals own legislation when it comes to the mentally ill in this country and that this was not likely to happen soon

as i said earlier , the rights of those who are not right over ride the rights of the rest of society and while society can laugh off theese people as being eccentric , the familys of theese people suffer greatly in silence

Ok, fair enough all valid points I wouldn;t disagree with, I dont have any first hand experience, but I think its important to make a distinction between someone like Brendan O Donnell and this guy. You're right anyone who is a known danger should be in secure care, but how do you really know who is a danger? Anyone could potentially go nuts and flip out, happens all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭djsomers

It is unfortunate to see this guy come across so badly. I am sure he is just like a lot of people out there, sick to death of hypocracy, greed and stupidity.

I guess it reflects Irishness, to a degree which makes me cringe, where people sitting in the audience, who I am sure agree with the guy to an extent, have no reaction until the host makes a comment to settle everybodys nerves, what a cop out. People stand up for God's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

My God, his hand movements are as camp as Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

m@cc@ wrote: »
    My God, his hand movements are as camp as Christmas.

Yes that was the highlight for me too, his camp hand movements apparently.

Anyway, Kenny has doubled his viewers for next week.

Ok, fair enough all valid points I wouldn;t disagree with, I dont have any first hand experience, but I think its important to make a distinction between someone like Brendan O Donnell and this guy. You're right anyone who is a known danger should be in secure care, but how do you really know who is a danger? Anyone could potentially go nuts and flip out, happens all the time.

no , it does not happen all the time , thier is nearly always a history of erratic behaviour , my cousin was in a car crash when he was a kid , he has a brain injury so thier is cause there , of course we cannot lock people up for being a bit odd or eccentric and if this is the only odd thing this frontline guy has ever did ( which i seriously doubt ) then of course he should not be incarcerated , my basic point is that the laws regarding people being institutionalised are overly liberal to the point of tollerating murder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

No, I think I understand you, I just dont agree. What if RTE decided to change the format of live debates like this as a result of this?

You dont understand. Why the hell would they do that?
    I think there is a responsibility on anyone who takes air time to view an opinion(which he is entitiled to) to do so in a dignified manner and not to just go nuts coz he's angry. If every angry nut(myself included) was entitiled to that, consider the mayhem on a Monday night??

He appeared undignified and to "go nuts" due to his mental illness, which he obviously cant help. You, however, do not have a mental illness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_palsy

I'm guessing its this one.

He appeared undignified and to "go nuts" due to his mental illness, which he obviously cant help. You, however, do not have a mental illness.

Because this guy was very threatening and abusive, It's not the Jerry Springer Show. If the show is reduced to that level it becomes a farce. There is a pattern emerging and if it continues someone will take this a step further, a guy already tried to drive through thet front door. RTE have to consider the saftey of all their employees,

maybe I have a mental problem - how can you tell?

I assume by your thorough method of diagnosis you are not a doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

Quoting your source
    Cerebral palsy (CP) (also cerebral pares) is an umbrella term encompassing a group of non-progressive,[1][2] non-contagious motor conditions that cause physical disability in human development.[3]

Glad you're not a doctor.

• Advertisement

irish_bob wrote: »
    no , it does not happen all the time , thier is nearly always a history of erratic behaviour , my cousin was in a car crash when he was a kid , he has a brain injury so thier is cause there , of course we cannot lock people up for being a bit odd or eccentric and if this is the only odd thing this frontline guy has ever did ( which i seriously doubt ) then of course he should not be incarcerated , my basic point is that the laws regarding people being institutionalised are overly liberal to the point of tollerating murder

people do go nuts all the time, here are just a few fom recent memory:

Hungerford
    Dunblane
    Kenny Live guy who drove through the door of RTE(could have killed someone)
    Columbine
    countless other American highschhool shootings
    some german guy went on a rampage a year or two ago
    some finish guy went nuts a year or two ago
    frontline
    Irish priest runs onto formula one track
    same guy attacks marathon runner
    The guy with mental illness in Longford a few years ago who the ERU shot
    etc etc

Because this guy was very threatening and abusive, It's not the Jerry Springer Show. ?

Simple answer for that - provide security. Which RTE did, and security threw yerman out!

Well I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. You dont need to be a doctor to see that that fella had problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

This man was completely correct in what he was saying but sadly he shouldn't have spoke in the manner he did.He turned what was a good argument into a complete rant and made himself look like an eejet,when he obviously isnt.

Pat Kenny does get paid far too much that was the point he was trying to make.

w123 wrote: »
    Quoting your source
    Cerebral palsy (CP) (also cerebral pares) is an umbrella term encompassing a group of non-progressive,[1][2] non-contagious motor conditions that cause physical disability in human development.[3]

Glad you're not a doctor.

Physical also means brain:rolleyes:. You sure you dont need a doctor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Because this guy was very threatening and abusive, It's not the Jerry Springer Show. If the show is reduced to that level it becomes a farce. There is a pattern emerging and if it continues someone will take this a step further, a guy already tried to drive through thet front door. RTE have to consider the saftey of all their employees,

I can see it happening as well, there are a lot of very disenfranchised people out there at the moment, how we haven't had some serious incident where lives have not been lost is a bit of a mystery to me to be honest...

Simple answer for that - provide security. Which RTE did, and security threw yerman out!

Well I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. You dont need to be a doctor to see that that fella had problems

thanks, I dont...at least...I dont think so....

sorry put this bit in the wrong place:

yeah but, my point is that judging by the amount of coverage this guy is getting, it could encourage others to follow his footsteps and possibly do something that could actually harm someone, RTE would be wreckless if they did not at least consider this and review their programming.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I can see it happening as well, there are a lot of very disenfranchised people out there at the moment, how we haven't had some serious incident where lives have not been lost is a bit of a mystery to me to be honest...

Nah. Most of them dont need to go nuts on tele, they have boards.ie;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

This man was completely correct in what he was saying but sadly he shouldn't have spoke in the manner he did.He turned what was a good argument into a complete rant and made himself look like an eejet,when he obviously isnt.

Well said. I have read almost all the postings on this thread and they are the usual bland, lazy analysis of an issue. They seem to shoot the messenger rather than try and listen to what he was actually saying.I like Pat Kenny but can a tiny country like Ireland justify paying him a multiple of what Barack Obama earns. This for 11 hours a week with very generous holdays. Of course this goes for all the other so-called stars such as Ryan, Tubridy, Finucane, Duffy. It is madness and is not sustainable. Advertising Revenues have plummetted but they are still earning the same even though Kenny and Ryan maintain that they get paid from advertising revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

akaredtop wrote: »
    Well said. I have read almost all the postings on this thread and they are the usual bland, lazy analysis of an issue. They seem to shoot the messenger rather than try and listen to what he was actually saying.I like Pat Kenny but can a tiny country like Ireland justify paying him a multiple of what Barack Obama earns. This for 11 hours a week with very generous holdays. Of course this goes for all the other so-called stars such as Ryan, Tubridy, Finucane, Duffy. It is madness and is not sustainable. Advertising Revenues have plummetted but they are still earning the same even though Kenny and Ryan maintain that they get paid from advertising revenue.

Agree with all of this.
    That programme was invented to give Pat Kenny airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

To be fair to Pat he would work a lot longer than 11 hours a week. He is on air 11 hours a week. He would be doing a lot of prep work and research as well. He would work full time. But his salary is obscene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Because we pay a TV licence by law for the TV service then all wages paid out of this licence should be reasonable and modest. The trouble is RTE gets a lot of its revenue from ads and the reps of the TV personalities can make a case that a large salary is needed to keep their clients attracting a big audience and keeping ad revenue high.
    We probably would be paying a higher licence fee if the TV personalities were not in existence to attract a high audience and high revenue from the ads.

It is unfortunate but the personalities could go to a commercial station and take the ad revenue with them if not paid well.

doolox wrote: »
    Because we pay a TV licence by law for the TV service then all wages paid out of this licence should be reasonable and modest. The trouble is RTE gets a lot of its revenue from ads and the reps of the TV personalities can make a case that a large salary is needed to keep their clients attracting a big audience and keeping ad revenue high.
    We probably would be paying a higher licence fee if the TV personalities were not in existence to attract a high audience and high revenue from the ads.

It is unfortunate but the personalities could go to a commercial station and take the ad revenue with them if not paid well.
    there is a difference between getting paid well and getting overpaid.

Surely a salary of 100k to 200k a year would be plenty for Kenny/Ryan/Turbridy.
    I don't think Kenny handled the whole incident well,he should have tryed to defend his salary but probably knows that he is paid too much.

How much does the likes Martin King or the Seioge's get paid,who are IMO as good as any of the top RTE presenters.

akaredtop wrote: »

A bit of an issue with double standards here I think ?? - speaking of lazy analysis of an issue, what is your source for the fact that kenny only works 11 hours a week?? If you are using the ranter from last night as your source - go away and have a little chat with yourself before throwing insults around. Even the looney acknowledged that Kenny has taken a €300k cut this year.

there is a difference between getting paid well and getting overpaid.

Surely a salary of 100k to 200k a year would be plenty for Kenny/Ryan/Turbridy.
    I don't think Kenny handled the whole incident well,he should have tryed to defend his salary but probably knows that he is paid too much.

How much does the likes Martin King or the Seioge's get paid,who are IMO as good as any of the top RTE presenters.

Agree with you on the salary issue, but in all fairness wouldn't exactly consider the Seioges or MArtin King cutting edge current affairs presenters. love him or hate Kenny is an excellent analyist/commentator

A bit of an issue with double standards here I think ?? - speaking of lazy analysis of an issue, what is your source for the fact that kenny only works 11 hours a week?? If you are using the ranter from last night as your source - go away and have a little chat with yourself before throwing insults around. Even the looney acknowledged that Kenny has taken a €300k cut this year.
    i don't think the amount of hours he works is the issue.Even if he worked 40hrs a week,that is still €288.46 per hour.How does that justify what he does?

He is getting paid more than Obama and you can bet Obama works 70 plus hours a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

"Im going to sue somebody for a field, I might make a million out of it"

Absolute classic line right there.

He has a point in fairness to the guy, why should Pat Kenny be given 600k of TAXPAYERS money when everyone else in the country is being asked to take reductions, disabled, less fortunate and the dole being hit to name but a few.

Pat asks the minister sure if you can save 80million by cutting the dole by one euro sure why dont you slash it by 3 or 4. Well Pat rich bastard Kenny, 3 or 4 euro is LITERALLY the difference whether I eat dinner the day before dole day or not.

i don't think the amount of hours he works is the issue.Even if he worked 40hrs a week,that is still €288.46 per hour.How does that justify what he does?

He is getting paid more than Obama and you can bet Obama works 70 plus hours a week.

Your dead right - Obama probably works more than that, I agree completley with you on the pay issue - he gets way too much.
    I just dont like your pointless insult.

I think this guy says it all.Its like years ago when the landlords owned all the wealth while the tenants lived in poverty.
    Over 20% of Irelands Wealth is held by less than 5% of the population,dont forget we are a very low populated country compared to others.

If Kenny isn't a fraud and a cheat he'll will agree to take another salary cut after last night's incident.

people do go nuts all the time, here are just a few fom recent memory:

Hungerford
    Dunblane
    Kenny Live guy who drove through the door of RTE(could have killed someone)
    Columbine
    countless other American highschhool shootings
    some german guy went on a rampage a year or two ago
    some finish guy went nuts a year or two ago
    frontline
    Irish priest runs onto formula one track
    same guy attacks marathon runner
    The guy with mental illness in Longford a few years ago who the ERU shot
    etc etc

who is to say those people were not nuts for a long time before they did what they did , the point is , an overly liberal system allows such people to remain free untill they actually randomly open fire on innocent people , my aunt has been trying to get her son institutionalised for years but the system will not allow it , im sure the familys of the people you hightlighted were perhaps in the same situation

• Advertisement

consultans , politicians , judges , guards , nurses , teachers , all get paid too much , why zoom in on pat kenny

social wellfare recipients also recieve too much

Advertisement