Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unstable guy throws a wobbler on RTE!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

FearDark wrote: »
    why should Pat Kenny be given 600k of TAXPAYERS money when everyone else in the country is being asked to take reductions, disabled, less fortunate and the dole being hit to name but a few.

Not to mention the licence fee payers. Just got the annual bill thru the door this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

there is a difference between getting paid well and getting overpaid.

Surely a salary of 100k to 200k a year would be plenty for Kenny/Ryan/Turbridy.
    I don't think Kenny handled the whole incident well,he should have tryed to defend his salary but probably knows that he is paid too much.

How much does the likes Martin King or the Seioge's get paid,who are IMO as good as any of the top RTE presenters.

to defend his salary last night would have been to dignify the raving psychos ranting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

irish_bob wrote: »
    consultans , politicians , judges , guards , nurses , teachers , all get paid too much , why zoom in on pat kenny

social wellfare recipients also recieve too much
    do i really need to bring the Figure up again?How many nurses or guards earn 600k a year?

to defend his salary last night would have been to dignify the raving psychos ranting
    no it wouldn't.It would have given clarfication the Irish viewing public who pays to see him in the postion he is in.Everyone is entitled to their opinon this guy just didnt express his in the best way.

do i really need to bring the Figure up again?How many nurses or guards earn 600k a year?

everything is relative and their is only one PK , thier are thousands of over paid nurses , teachers and guards

• Advertisement

no it wouldn't.It would have given clarfication the Irish viewing public who pays to see him in the postion he is in.Everyone is entitled to their opinon this guy just didnt express his in the best way.

one would think pat kenny had committed a crime and was in the dock on trial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Unlike other public servants and welfare recipients?

no body is suggesting he has comitted a crime.What i was saying was when he was confronted about the size of his salary,he should have explained why he is worth this sort of salary.

everything is relative and their is only one PK , thier are thousands of over paid nurses , teachers and guards
    i can see from previous posts that you have an issue with Public servants getting paid too much but i dont think they do.

Remember they are the people who are educating our youth,treating our ill and keeping peace on our streets.I don't see how presenting on Political issues is more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

the issue has been muddied, now i can't remember what kenny and hanafin were even talking about in the first place.
    it shouldn't be about if pat kenny is/ is not getting paid too much (he is) We all know this. he should take a pay cut.
    but screaming at him on live tv isn't going to make him do it.

i don't know why some here are hailing him as some sort of populist figure head 'telling it as it is'. this guy was clearly a nut-job. why would you wait 20 years to confront pat bloody kenny.
    its impossible to have any normal debate (at a time when we need it most) if the moderators themselves are going to keep coming up against personal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

consultans , politicians , judges , guards , nurses , teachers , all get paid too much , why zoom in on pat kenny

Cutting Pat Kenny's salary is the difference between an 09 merc and an 05 merc. Cutting a nurses salary is the difference between being able to pay a mortgage, feeding yourself and making sure a patient gets the attention they need. Lets concentrate on the folks who can make do with a 5 year old car and skipping the caviar and champagne every other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭donkey balls

that guy is going be on the last word with matt cooper at some time today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Nobody gave a $hite how much Pat Kenny was earning a few years ago, we were all too busy.
    Also 2 or 3 years back l'd say nobody knew or cared that social welfare payment amounts to 204 euro pw.
    Now the landscape's changed everyone has an opinion.
    Only someone lucky enough to be in employment would say that the social welfare payment is too high.

CPL 593H

i can see from previous posts that you have an issue with Public servants getting paid too much but i dont think they do.

Remember they are the people who are educating our youth,treating our ill and keeping peace on our streets.I don't see how presenting on Political issues is more important.

my question to you is do police , nurses and doctors in manchester , madrid or munich ( where wages for theese proffesions are more than 30% lower ) not face the exact same challenges as they do in ireland

furiousox wrote: »
    Nobody gave a $hite how much Pat Kenny was earning a few years ago, we were all too busy.
    Also 2 or 3 years back l'd say nobody knew or cared that social welfare payment amounts to 204 euro pw.
    Now the landscape's changed everyone has an opinion.
    Only someone lucky enough to be in employment would say that the social welfare payment is too high.

the national debt is 26 billion , thats where 204 euro a week dole and an average public sector wage of 50 k is a problem

lts banks & property developers that got us in debt not the unemployed.
    Why hit the guys at the bottom?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Too fooking right, i have a €400K mortgage and €20K in CC bills and now i lost my job. This is without a doubt someone else's fault and not my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That isn't the issue though. The problem is that we're spending way more on public services (i.e. public pay and social welfare) than we're getting in through taxes. Around 27 billion more this year or thereabouts (and we only get in around 35 billion in taxes...)

Social Welfare and Public pay was raised in the good times based on tax revenues that were transitory. We now need to cut both back because we cannot afford such high levels of spending. We don't have a choice in the matter. The impact should be limited on the worst off where possible but without decreasing social welfare we keep wages (and thus prices) high which isn't a good thing for the country in the medium term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

That's such a simplistic attitude.

It was the bankers and Property developers that gave us the boom in the first place, giving rise to the inflated social welfare payments.

I didn't hear too any people complaining about bankers and builders when the 204euro a week was introduced........ but now.......????

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

... everyone has an opinion...

Just like Harry Callahan said. Where is he when we need him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

the national debt is 26 billion ...

Drop in the ocean compared to what you'll be paying for the rest of your working life with no return - except for corrupt banks of course.

danman wrote: »
    That's such a simplistic attitude.

It was the bankers and Property developers that gave us the boom in the first place, giving rise to the inflated social welfare payments.

I didn't hear too any people complaining about bankers and builders when the 204euro a week was introduced........ but now.......????

That's my point exactly.
    When we were all living it up a few years ago, no-one knew or gave a $hite how much the dole was.
    Now everyone's an expert and anyone left in employment is bleating "its too high"
    Most people signing on are victims of the recession, l just don't understand why the vulnerable are targets for cuts while the guys who ****ed us up in the first place get fat bonuses.

CPL 593H

Anyway, can we get back to discussing that loon on RTE last night?
    No not Pat......the other one! :pac:

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Silly question I know but would Pat be getting a payslip every week for around 11,000 euro or does he get paid monthly say 50,000 euro ? is the 600,000 before or after tax ?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭SleepDoc

my question to you is do police , nurses and doctors in manchester , madrid or munich ( where wages for theese proffesions are more than 30% lower ) not face the exact same challenges as they do in ireland

Well, don't the unemployed face the same challenges in Ireland as in the UK? So why is the dole so much more generous here?

It is simplistic and disingenuous to look at another country and decide that that is the level we will set our public remuneration and social welfare payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

Scawgeen wrote: »
    Silly question I know but would Pat be getting a payslip every week for around 11,000 euro or does he get paid monthly say 50,000 euro ? is the 600,000 before or after tax ?

Do they pay the gross to his company "Pat Kenny Media Services Limited"? Presumably then he gets his accountant to work out what he has to give back.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0203/1232923384357.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

do you think the guys out in europe who are lending the country several hundred million a week give a crap who caused the mess , enough with the childish argument , its getting us nowhere

besides, the banking crisis only compounded our current problems , the public sector wage bill was always unsustainable as the source of revenue which funded it was also unsustainable , the property boom , it was not conventional income tax which funded our enormous public sector wage bill and it wont be income tax which funds it now so thier has to be cuts

SleepDoc wrote: »
    Well, don't the unemployed face the same challenges in Ireland as in the UK? So why is the dole so much more generous here?

It is simplistic and disingenuous to look at another country and decide that that is the level we will set our public remuneration and social welfare payments.

i believe the dole needs to be lowered here aswell but we were not discussing the dole at the time

how is it disengeneous , surely we need yardsitcks when it comes to various goverment policy , be it economic , social , legal or otherwise , happens all the time , always has

you seem to echo the dunnest stores line

WERE DIFFERENT CAUSE WERE IRISH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cowen4life

i dont understand why people are comparing pat kennys salary to that of barack obama. ok, on paper pat kenny gets more money but obama has only been in the white house for a year and he is already a multi millionaire because of revenue he receives from books. if he did not have this other source of income i am sure he would have a higher salary.

Advertisement