Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unstable guy throws a wobbler on RTE!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The problem with Kenny's salary is not the amount he gets paid, but that - as Kevin Myers pointed out on The Right Hook today - that because RTE is subsidised, there are no market forces to determine HOW much he is actually worth.

In all other areas of the media, the financial advisers & accountants estimate how much their journalists & presenters get paid, based on the revenue that they generate. This is not the case in RTE presenters.

There's the argument put forward by the bosses of RTE, that if their "top stars" aren't paid the amounts they are paid, then they would defect to, or be poached by, independant broadcasters. Now considering that TV3 is RTE's only other national TV competitor, you would have to question this logic - TV3 would simply not have the money to pay the likes of Kenny & I seriously doubt that he would move even if they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

irish_bob wrote: »
    .....we were not discussing the dole at this time

:confused:

Well I thought this thread was about Pat Kenny and his heckler?

You were the first one to bring up social welfare payments

"social welfare recipients also recieve too much" (post 121)

........but "we're not discussing the dole at this time" :rolleyes:

Ok, any chance we can get back on topic?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Look at it a different way.
    The guy who spoke out against Pat Kenny and that minister, was an ordinary joe soap who felt very angered. He had no rehersals or training in public speaking, or something to read from. How would anyone else behave in that same situation ?? I think the same guy would have in hindsight, behaved better and got his words of anger out better in a more constuctive way.
    He deserves some support for his courage to speak out, especially when others act like sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

He had no rehersals or training in public speaking, or something to read from. How would anyone else behave in that same situation ?? I think the same guy would have in hindsight, behaved better and got his words of anger out better in a more constuctive way.

He also said that he'd waited 20 years to have a go at Kenny - you'd think that in all that time, he might have had time to practice his rant.

Having said that, fair balls to him for having a go - yep, it was a little incoherrant & unfocused, but it did raise again the important issue of how our license fees are being spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭SleepDoc

i believe the dole needs to be lowered here aswell but we were not discussing the dole at the time

how is it disengeneous , surely we need yardsitcks when it comes to various goverment policy , be it economic , social , legal or otherwise , happens all the time , always has

you seem to echo the dunnest stores line

WERE DIFFERENT CAUSE WERE IRISH

I'm not echoing anything. If you are going to cut public expenditure it has to be done fairly and across all sectors. Throwing out examples of public service pay around Europe is disingenous.

Here's a disingenous example of public service pay using doctors pay as an example.

SHO Year 1. Base pay 41,000 euro.

Norway. SHO year 1 Equivalent grade - Base pay 51,000 euro.

Clearly it is nonsense to compare oil rich Norway to Ireland. However in the debates you don't hear of countries such as Norway where public service pay is actually higher than it is here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

This guy was on the luas the other night speaking out. Although he startled a few people with his loudness I couldn't help but think fair play to him. He was basically saying that we all need to start speaking out. And he's right. Theres a piece on the indo about him today. He has had mental problems. But I'm thinking thats a good thing since it means getting over the irish feeling of embarrassment at speaking out.
    i dont understand why people are comparing pat kennys salary to that of barack obama. ok, on paper pat kenny gets more money but obama has only been in the white house for a year and he is already a multi millionaire because of revenue he receives from books.

I agree that kenny shouldn't be compared to the president of the US since there is NO comparison in what they do.
    RTE are a joke. They employ people that we have no interest in watching. And the only reason they are not worried is that they are guaranteed money. Unlike other stations that have to work to get viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Look at it a different way.
    The guy who spoke out against Pat Kenny and that minister, was an ordinary joe soap who felt very angered. He had no rehersals or training in public speaking, or something to read from. How would anyone else behave in that same situation ?? I think the same guy would have in hindsight, behaved better and got his words of anger out better in a more constuctive way.
    He deserves some support for his courage to speak out, especially when others act like sheep.

i think its an insult to compare the average joe soap to a raving loon , this guy spent several years in a mental institutions and has a history of strange behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

i think its an insult to compare the average joe soap to a raving loon , this guy spent several years in a mental institutions and has a history of strange behaviour

There are raving loonies in all walks of life also, including the people who think that Bertie is a saint, and the green party also, if they had their way, we would all be out there on pushbikes, etc.

So allowances should be made for him. But he still deserves credit for trying to say what he really meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Its a pity the guy came across a bit wacky. It gave Pat the opporunity to dismiss what he said. Today I see the papers are running with the front page, that this "nut" is a racist. Maybe he his, maybe he isn't but one thing is for sure. RTE and the corrupt lot in charge of this country have managed to side step another serious issue.

IMO If you think Pat "the plank" Kenny deserves his ludicrous salary you are the real nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

There are raving loonies in all walks of life also, including the people who think that Bertie is a saint, and the green party also, if they had their way, we would all be out there on pushbikes, etc.

So allowances should be made for him. But he still deserves credit for trying to say what he really meant.

I'm not not a green, but I just got myself a bike, I'll be leaving the car in teh garage coz my soon weekly wage of €204 wont pay for it so I dont thinks it crazy to suggest we should cycle more. I think thats a bit irish to ridicule the greens for promoting more cycling, I dont think the Dutch are crazy?

Anyway - the other crazy, yeah respect for speaking his mind but there has to be restrictions. We cannot condone people who take extreme action purely coz he spoke his mind? Where do you draw that line? If he cares so much why doesn;t he join a political party or put himself forward for local elections. He said on Darcy yesterday he has no political links, going on TV and raging incoherrently at a presenter is just bananas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The_Wobbler

Did anyone else see yer mans picture in the sunday tribune of him protesting on saturday?..... He's everywher!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Did anyone else see yer mans picture in the sunday tribune of him protesting on saturday?..... He's everywher!

poor ole Pat Kenny, first there was the loon who drove his car into the front entrance at RTE, and now this loon.

it's no wonder he wanted his neighbours land, probably wanted to build a moat.

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Its a pity the guy came across a bit wacky. It gave Pat the opporunity to dismiss what he said. Today I see the papers are running with the front page, that this "nut" is a racist. Maybe he his, maybe he isn't but one thing is for sure. RTE and the corrupt lot in charge of this country have managed to side step another serious issue.

IMO If you think Pat "the plank" Kenny deserves his ludicrous salary you are the real nut.

the guy from the frontline show is certifiabley crazy , litterally , thats the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Well, the message was correct but the delivery was terrible. There may be other more effective ways of getting rte to make a change on these ridiculous salaries. If meetings could be held in every town in the country to get people to sign a petition asking RTE to reduce the salaries of its so called stars to say 3 times the average industrial wage. All licence fees would not be paid until this was done. It might work.

akaredtop wrote: »
    Well, the message was correct but the delivery was terrible. There may be other more effective ways of getting rte to make a change on these ridiculous salaries. If meetings could be held in every town in the country to get people to sign a petition asking RTE to reduce the salaries of its so called stars to say 3 times the average industrial wage. All licence fees would not be paid until this was done. It might work.

I'd sign, I'd help you organise the campaign if needed - but this is Ireland not France, people dont give a f**k, most people in employment can afford to pay so its not really an issue for them so they proably wouldn't bother. Anyway, people would sign up, pay it anyway on teh sly and then you and me would go to jail for non payment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

Rantan wrote: »
    I'd sign, I'd help you organise the campaign if needed - but this is Ireland not France, people dont give a f**k, most people in employment can afford to pay so its not really an issue for them so they proably wouldn't bother. Anyway, people would sign up, pay it anyway on teh sly and then you and me would go to jail for non payment!!
    I'm with ye!

Yes your last point is correct. Some people would pay on the quiet, but that is ok. If the vast majority stuck together they could not jail everyone.Would it be worth a try setting up a meeting? Petitions are useless on their own. There has to be a sense of comradeship/togetherness in a cause to be effective. People just have to think of that wine swilling fool Ryan in the Four Seasons with his property developer and Fianna Fail friends laughing at the rest of us to keep motivated to the cause.

I'm with ye!

great - now thats only €629,520 Kenny will get paid next year!!

viva la revolucion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what f***er is next???

what f***er is next???[/quote]

...in RTE in meant - not to sign up..........

The elite in this country are lucky that we are such a passive race. Remember Romania in 1989 when the people turned against Ceausescu. His wife and himself went on trial on Christmas Day and executed afterwards. Powerful signal to corruption. Would we ever do it? Not a hope! The Politicians, Bankers, Property developers, Union Leaders, Higher level Civil Servants etc are very lucky we are such a weak race. Could you imagine Cowen, Jack O Connor, Sean Fitzpatrick, Liam Carroll being led away in handcuffs?

• Advertisement

The elite in this country are lucky that we are such a passive race. Remember Romania in 1989 when the people turned against Ceausescu. His wife and himself went on trial on Christmas Day and executed afterwards. Powerful signal to corruption. Would we ever do it? Not a hope! The Politicians, Bankers, Property developers, Union Leaders, Higher level Civil Servants etc are very lucky we are such a weak race. Could you imagine Cowen, Jack O Connor, Sean Fitzpatrick, Liam Carroll being led away in handcuffs?

yeah , ireland 2009 is so comparable to romania 1989 , we live under a totalitarian regime and are not allowed even own our own house let alone a second one in bulgaria :rolleyes:

Yes and the guys I have listed above have committed treason by destroying the country. Different crimes but should be punished equally.

I was with you on the whole license fee petition campaign....I'm a bit scared now, the petition is a long way off all out revolution involving dead people and stuff.. I agree with Irish Bob on this one, we are a long, long way from Romania in 1989. Ceausescu was a dictator we voted for this shower of muppets!!

I was with you on the whole license fee petition campaign....I'm a bit scared now, the petition is a long way off all out revolution involving dead people and stuff.. I agree with Irish Bob on this one, we are a long, long way from Romania in 1989. Ceausescu was a dictator we voted for this shower of muppets!!

I did'nt mean to scare you but desperate situations demand desperate solutions.You say we elected these muppets, but that is only true of some. I never voted for Jack O Connor, Sean Fitzpatrick, RTE overpaid stars or Liam Carroll. But these people have raped this country and it will not recover for generations.The country needs to be cleansed and start again.Kind of like pushing the reset button your PC once it crashes. I would'nt bat an eyelid if I saw a few hundred of our ruling classes in front of firing squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

For those who missed it, the Ray D'arcy interview is here:
    http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/PodcastAudio.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

donaghs wrote: »
    Do they pay the gross to his company "Pat Kenny Media Services Limited"? Presumably then he gets his accountant to work out what he has to give back.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0203/1232923384357.html

Almost certainly but then I imagine that the vast vast majority of people would do the exact same thing if given the opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

That guy is not a political protester.

He is a nutjob.

I did'nt mean to scare you but desperate situations demand desperate solutions.You say we elected these muppets, but that is only true of some. I never voted for Jack O Connor, Sean Fitzpatrick, RTE overpaid stars or Liam Carroll. But these people have raped this country and it will not recover for generations.The country needs to be cleansed and start again.Kind of like pushing the reset button your PC once it crashes. I would'nt bat an eyelid if I saw a few hundred of our ruling classes in front of firing squads.

by pointing out jack o connor as an enemy of the state , you have completley redeemed yourself and i salute you

spongeman wrote: »
    That guy is not a political protester.

He is a nutjob.

+1

people like this guy let rip at whoever happens to be infront of them at a particular time , he probabley lets fly at his local butcher and grocer every other week , i have experience in this area with a relative , the same guy who laid into PK went off on a tangent at one of richard dawkins lectures , people in here seem to think hes some sort of champion of the tax payer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

He also looks like a dangerous and unstable person with no control.

He is no champion of the people.

Advertisement