Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unstable guy throws a wobbler on RTE!!!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wantolose

you know what that guy was right, he may not have come across right but he was spot on, this country is a joke, some peope are simply paid far to much for what? it just makes my blood boil, im surprised he didnt go for hanifin while he was at it, her sitting there with a silly puss on her, smirking away at us poor gob****es, she doesnt care and neither do any of the rest of them, with their big wages and expenses, mercs and perks, its time we copped on to ourselves, there is no way these clowns should be paid what they are getting, they are getting more than obama, its time we got real.:mad: there are people who dont know if they will have a job next week, or where is the money going to come from to put food on the table, let alone pay their mortgage, oh dont get me started:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Somebody got something off his chest and I am sure he felt really good after that rant .The bloke not PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭aftermn

There were really several issues in his 'submission'.

Kenny's salary is only part of his problem. I think the thing which drove him over the top was the ease with which those on huge salaries discuss the level of reductions which those on social welfare should suffer. Especially when some of these same gents do nothing to limit, or even comment on, the huge salaries and golden handshakes of some in both the public and private sectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

According to this It seems the guy in question is famous for shouting racist comments and abuse at foreign nationals on Grafton street .So if true and whatever his grieviences against PC and the Minister on the LLS , he fails .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The salaries of top TV presenters/personalities used to be confidential and were not open to public scrutiny until recently. Now that the can of worms has been opened the personalities need to come up with an accounting for their salaries.
    Do their salaries count as justified because of the advertising revenue they can leverage and do we need to pay this high to stop them going to the opposition?

It is very hard to tell what the situation is because RTE is financed both by public license ( compulsory ) and advertising, which the general public can avoid paying for if they switch to less heavily advertised goods and services, such as own brand foods etc which can be cheaper because the do not incur high advertising costs.

There should be a way of dividing RTE into two distinct entities, a public service section consisting of news cultural and other artistic and worthy activities.
    People such as newscasters, announcers, orchestra members etc. are not by their nature paid outrageous salaries and are to a large extent anonymous and therefore replaceable and hence cannot push for too much wages. Our licences should be used only to pay for these people and definitely not for highly inflated salaries to the "top" TV personalities

Unfortunately the personalities have been making a case for years that they are irreplaceable and worth what they get. They may argue that their presence gets in huge advertising revenue for RTE and it is hard to prove this in the present mixed-up arrangement. Definitely their salaries should ride up and down with fluctuating advertising revenue and should have no guarantees from the public purse. RTE needs to get tough at negotiating time as money gets tight.

In order to combat this we as viewers and listeners need to make a conscious decision to ignore personalities as formers of public opinion and influencers of consumer choice. We need to make a conscious decision to boycott goods and services advertised on or near their programs if we want to end the scandal of excessive pay for what is after all an unnecessary job.

In time RTE will be reduced to a slimmed down service like TV3 etc which is all we can afford as a small nation on the periphery of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Yea but PK does a good job, a very good job. And I enjoy listening to him.

So i think he should be paid well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 CleverName

Whether we are in a recession or the biggest boom ever Pat Kenny should never be paid 600 grand. And I'm not one of these hippies who cares about the length of the dole queues or about the starving children in Africa or about the melting polar ice caps. All I care about is GOOD TELEVISION. Pat Kenny is not good television. He is not entertaining, engaging, interesting or exciting.
    Then why pay him 600 grand if he is rubbish?
    People say we have to pay him this big salary to keep other stations form taking him.
    What other stations? TV3? If they spent 600 grand on Pat Kenny they would have to sack the whole expose team and start only broadcast every other day. Who else is there? Channel 4? ITV? BBC? Who the hell would want Pat Kenny on their station if he was free? I doubt Jonathan Ross or Jeremy Paxman are sitting at home thinking "If Pat Kenny gets fired from RTE I could be in trouble." There not because he is rubbish.

They should pay him the 600 grand to leave RTE and promise never to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

CleverName wrote: »
    Who the hell would want Pat Kenny on their station if he was free?

Great post, my question, who from RTE is Poachable? Or who would BBC or Ch4 want to steal from RTE? I can't think of anyone, certainly not Pat, Gerry Ryan or Tuberty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

It would be a pity to lose that live TV-anything can happen part to the program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Unfortunatley I'm one of the few who pay the tv licence and regret the day that I first paid it. At least this guy gave me some return for my money and said what needed to be said to kenny. the frontline is a poor substitute for Questions and answers and was clearly a step down for kenny who jumped ship from the late late when his ratings graph was plummeting. Bring back John Bowman and Questions and Answers, he has credability is fair and knows what hes talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Unfortunatley I'm one of the few who pay the tv licence and regret the day that I first paid it. At least this guy gave me some return for my money and said what needed to be said to kenny. the frontline is a poor substitute for Questions and answers and was clearly a step down for kenny who jumped ship from the late late when his ratings graph was plummeting. Bring back John Bowman and Questions and Answers, he has credability is fair and knows what hes talking about!

so pat kenny has questions to answer

Advertisement