Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAS ANYBODY GOT A LICENCE FOR A CENTER FIRE PISTOL

Options
  • 10-11-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi all
    its looks like a back door ban for center fire pistols can any body say other wise?????????

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Don't want to p**s on your parade but this question has been put forward a few times in the last few weeks and have gone either unanswered or answered with something other than a yes.

I'd like to see someone come on and say yes i got mine. Not "i know of a lad who knows a lad, who is a friend of a friend who got one". An actual fully licensed pistol holder. I've heard of 36 people that have "gotten" them but still no letter, license or any direct indication/proof that they have.

I'm always the optimist but when unrestricted licenses, grant letters, receipts and everything else were issued people couldn't get them posted here quick enough but when it comes to pistols..............nothing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

hi all
    its looks like a back door ban for center fire pistols can any body say other wise?????????

it was a dirty sneaky trick from a dirty sneaky government , i haven't heard or seen anyone getting a licence for a centrefire pistol and have even heard of people being refused licences for .22lr pistols such as the cz cadet and p22 because they're "military style" pistols ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I have heard that at least one well-known WA1500 (is it WA or PPC?) shooter has been licenced for his CF pistol. But reports of successful licences are sparse. I've only heard of two cases myself so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I think we have all heard about c/f pistol licenses

We have all also heard of the Loch Ness Monster, 3 Euro Pints and the ultimate black pudding.

None of us have ever seen one though.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Bananaman wrote: »
    I think we have all heard about c/f pistol licenses

We have all also heard of 3 Euro Pints .

B'Man

Three euro pints :eek: where is this place you speak of ??

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

the dail bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

I posted a question similar some time ago in desperation and think it only fair to post this to save peoples' nerves. Yes, I have seen and held in my hand a c/f lic. But I think with the current goings on it's best not to be hoo haaing about c/fs on a public forum, some will disagree and call for hoo haaing, I respect their right to hoo haa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

rowa wrote: »
    it was a dirty sneaky trick from a dirty sneaky government , i haven't heard or seen anyone getting a licence for a centrefire pistol and have even heard of people being refused licences for .22lr pistols such as the cz cadet and p22 because they're "military style" pistols ! :mad:

We were told those that had them before November 2008 could reapply and the applictions would be considered under stricter conditions and that is what happened. The problem is we weren't told that these stricter conditions would be impossible to satisfy unless you were a highly ranked & recognised international "bullseye" shooter, which I think we all know is possibly the only C/F licence granted so far.

What has happened is we were told something and we or someone has chosen to read more into it. Therefore we have not been lied to by the government. We didn't read or look for a copy of the "fine print" :(

None of my friends (x4) who have submitted applications for c/f licences have heard anything at all, yet there is one confirmed licence issued. Something smells rather badly.

We were told those that had them before November 2008 could reapply and the applictions would be considered under stricter conditions and that is what happened. The problem is we weren't told that these stricter conditions would be impossible to satisfy unless you were a highly ranked & recognised international "bullseye" shooter, which I think we all know is possibly the only C/F licence granted so far.

What has happened is we were told something and we or someone has chosen to read more into it. Therefore we have not been lied to by the government. We didn't read or look for a copy of the "fine print" :(

None of my friends (x4) who have submitted applications for c/f licences have heard anything at all, yet there is one confirmed licence issued. Something smells rather badly.

we were told that legitimate shooters had nothing to fear from this criminal justice bill - wrong, i probabily won't be able to re-licence the c.f. pistol i used at the authorized range i shoot at ever couple of weeks , AHern simply moved the definition of "legitimate shooter " to suit himself .
    as for people applying for licences and hearing absolutely nothing , myself included , i personally think that the chief supers etc are waiting to see what action is going to be taken over all this , legal or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Kimber

Ahhh Lads cmon,
    We'll be grand, nod nod wink wink.

Any of us that have em will ge to keep them. nod, nod wink wink.
    Keep it quite though, nod nod wink wink,

Bend over and say nothing. Nod nod wink, wink. It wont hurt nod nod wink wink.

Everytime I hear or read this. My minds eye shows me a picture of Gollumb on Lord of the Rings.

Sneaky, sneaky meaky, peekey, leaky, weeky, neeky, teeky,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

rowa wrote: »
    ....... i personally think that the chief supers etc are waiting to see what action is going to be taken over all this , legal or otherwise.

I have just had a call from a 'source' and it seems you are correct ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Kimber wrote: »
    Ahhh Lads cmon,
    We'll be grand, nod nod wink wink.

Any of us that have em will ge to keep them. nod, nod wink wink.
    Keep it quite though, nod nod wink wink,

Bend over and say nothing. Nod nod wink, wink. It wont hurt nod nod wink wink.

Everytime I hear or read this. My minds eye shows me a picture of Gollumb on Lord of the Rings.

Sneaky, sneaky meaky, peekey, leaky, weeky, neeky, teeky,
    :D

You have my sympathies Kimber, what were you refused?

And I know this Forum "as always" is being monitored.

I have thrown the bones on the floor and they tell me that Notes on strategies are being taken down to pre-emt a counter measure. That is if we let any slip.

The best test of a law is to fire it out to the peseants and see what they can conjur up.

I need rest now.

rrpc wrote: »
    :D

You have my sympathies Kimber, what were you refused?

Na, Not refused. Just the sneaky peeky stuff.

Tesco.

volvic-water-trio.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Student nights.

To answer the OP's question: according to a straw poll taken at the meeting in Abbeyleix on Saturday, 14 or 15 people present had got licences granted for centrefire pistols, and about 20 had been refused.

I believe there were a few 9mm's in the granted category.

So I'm told ;)

The results of the straw poll were :

Centerfire:
    4 9mm licences granted
    14 people know of licences granted
    20 refusals of C/F items (19 x 9mm)
    65 unknown status

Rimfire:
    29 granted
    2 refusals
    31 unknown status

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

We,ve had no restricted firearms licensed here in Kerry, met with our sole Chief Super for the whole of Kerry and he said that he will not issue any licenses for any class of restricted firearms as he deems them military and police guns.

So thats me refused, the only help he could offer me was to swop over to rimfire yoke thats on the list or go to court. I was granted my "Olympic 22 pistol". I showed him the medals I had won shooting CF pistol and he replied that I'd be good at olympic pistol so and should take that up!

I have failed to find one person who was been able to license any class of restricted firearm in the county, so at this stage I believe him when he says he hasent and he wont issue outside of a court case.

Theres a number of folks carrying stories about licenses issued in the county, but no hard proof to back it up.

Yep I do believe that the Gardai read these pages and that we educate them about target matters.

All I can say really is these are very sad times we live in.

happyjack wrote: »
    We,ve had no restricted firearms licensed here in Kerry, met with our sole Chief Super for the whole of Kerry and he said that he will not issue any licenses for any class of restricted firearms as he deems them military and police guns.
    He thinks police or military use .22 rifles with a capacity of over 10 rounds, underlever rifles of .38 calibre or shotguns with a capacity of more than three rounds?
    So thats me refused, the only help he could offer me was to swop over to rimfire yoke thats on the list or go to court. I was granted my "Olympic 22 pistol". I showed him the medals I had won shooting CF pistol and he replied that I'd be good at olympic pistol so and should take that up!
    That is incredibly insulting :mad:
    I have failed to find one person who was been able to license any class of restricted firearm in the county, so at this stage I believe him when he says he hasent and he wont issue outside of a court case.
    That's just total abdication of responsibility :mad:
    Yep I do believe that the Gardai read these pages and that we educate them about target matters.
    Not well enough obviously :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    He thinks police or military use .22 rifles with a capacity of over 10 rounds, underlever rifles of .38 calibre or shotguns with a capacity of more than three rounds?

That is incredibly insulting :mad:

That's just total abdication of responsibility :mad:

Not well enough obviously :rolleyes:

a member of the gardai being insulting ? what do you expect ? they are unaccountable practically unsackable public servants .

Not giving legal advice, but that's in direct contempt of the ruling in Dunne -v- Donohue, in that it's creating a blanket ban which the Supreme Court found was usurping the authority of the Dail.

I'd hesitate and think long and hard before ever going to court, and I'd try the FPU and every other route first, but frankly, I can't see that Chief Super having a bright and shiny career if he's going about stating in public that he intends to subvert the Dail or the Supreme Court. Did he put it in writing perchance?

Sparks wrote: »
    Did he put it in writing perchance?

Yup :) He did.
    I met with him this week and informed him of Dunne Vs Donoghue and he said the Donegal case takes legal precedent over Dunne Vs Donoghue. He said go to court if I don't like it. He is adamant that he will have none of these "military or police guns" in his district. Thats that cleared up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Happyjack - That's incredible!:eek:
    Best of luck.

I met with him this week and informed him of Dunne Vs Donoghue and he said the Donegal case takes legal precedent over Dunne Vs Donoghue. He said go to court if I don't like it. He is adamant that he will have none of these "military or police guns" in his district. Thats that cleared up then.
    I assume you (or he) means McCarron v Kearney which had absolutely nothing to do with Dunne v Donohue and was in the High Court (so couldn't set a precedent for the Supreme Court).

It was not a good case for us by any stretch. Incidentally, Superintendent Kearney passed away in March of this year at the very young age of 46.

ar dheis dé go raibh a anam.

Heres a copy of my refusal letter;-

Dear Sir,

I refer to your recent application for a firearm certificate to license one XXXXXXXXXXXXX.( Centerfire target pistol ).

Having given careful consideration to your application and your reasons for seeking a license for one XXXXXXXXXXX, I have decided to refuse your application on the following grounds:

1. I am not satisfied that you have demonstrated that the weapon that you have sought to license is not the only weapon suitable for the purpose for which you require it.

2. I am not satisfied that you have a good reason for requiring a XXXXXXXXX.

3. I do not believe that a XXXXXXXXXXXXXX is necessary for the purpose that you stated that you require the firearm.

In considering your application I have taken into consideration the facts as disclosed in your application, public safety, the good order of the community, the proliferation of weapons within the division and within the community generally.

I have also taken into consideration the following factors which I consider to be of high importance: the calibre of the weapon and the ammunition amount / type that may be used; lethal effect or danger over distance; velocity of the ammunition, the size and shape of the gun; and the use to which the weapon may be put.

Please find attached a list of suitable Olympic Standard pistols which are non restricted and have been agreed with the Olympic council of Ireland and the National Target Shooters Association. Application for any one of these firearms can be made to your local Garda Superintendent.

If you wish to discuss the matter further, please contact my office at the above address and telephone number to arrange a meeting. I have to tell you however that I do not propose granting any firearm certicates for restricted firearms which are of a type used by military or police and which have the capability of using many rounds of ammunition without being re-loaded.

I feel it is appropriate to inform you that you are entitled to to appeal my decision to the district court but must notify the court of your intention to appeal within 30 days of receiving this correspondence- section 43 Criminal Justice act 2006 applies

The court may;

1. Confirm my decision.

2. Adjourn the proceedings and direct me to reconsider the decision in
    light of the appeal proceedings, or

3. Allow the appeal

Yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

sorry to hear that.the gardai are now regulating sports.they will giving out penelty points next for having hurleys at a gaa match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I do recall a few cases locally where fellas were summonsed for having hurleys in the back of their cars

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

Heres a copy of my refusal letter;-

Dear Sir,

I refer to your recent application for a firearm certificate to license one XXXXXXXXXXXXX.( Centerfire target pistol ).

Having given careful consideration to your application and your reasons for seeking a license for one XXXXXXXXXXX, I have decided to refuse your application on the following grounds:

1. I am not satisfied that you have demonstrated that the weapon that you have sought to license is not the only weapon suitable for the purpose for which you require it.

2. I am not satisfied that you have a good reason for requiring a XXXXXXXXX.

3. I do not believe that a XXXXXXXXXXXXXX is necessary for the purpose that you stated that you require the firearm.

In considering your application I have taken into consideration the facts as disclosed in your application, public safety, the good order of the community, the proliferation of weapons within the division and within the community generally.

I have also taken into consideration the following factors which I consider to be of high importance: the calibre of the weapon and the ammunition amount / type that may be used; lethal effect or danger over distance; velocity of the ammunition, the size and shape of the gun; and the use to which the weapon may be put.

Please find attached a list of suitable Olympic Standard pistols which are non restricted and have been agreed with the Olympic council of Ireland and the National Target Shooters Association. Application for any one of these firearms can be made to your local Garda Superintendent.

If you wish to discuss the matter further, please contact my office at the above address and telephone number to arrange a meeting. I have to tell you however that I do not propose granting any firearm certicates for restricted firearms which are of a type used by military or police and which have the capability of using many rounds of ammunition without being re-loaded.

I feel it is appropriate to inform you that you are entitled to to appeal my decision to the district court but must notify the court of your intention to appeal within 30 days of receiving this correspondence- section 43 Criminal Justice act 2006 applies

The court may;

1. Confirm my decision.

2. Adjourn the proceedings and direct me to reconsider the decision in
    light of the appeal proceedings, or

3. Allow the appeal

Yours

Amazing...They already seem to have it standardised...copy and paste...auto-pilot.

One day sone one might receive it with wrong name on it or someting...

• Advertisement

But not in the refusal letter from what I can see :(
    Well, if he put it in writing that he's implementing a blanket ban, I'd hand that to my solicitors along with the Dunne findings and if the FPU couldn't sort it... well, I'll refrain from advising on the go/no-go, it's down to yourself and remember there are no guarantees with these things. But I can't see how he could claim a High Court case that went against precedent is able to trump a Supreme Court ruling and allow him to do something the Supreme Court found was basicly sedition.

Advertisement