Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAS ANYBODY GOT A LICENCE FOR A CENTER FIRE PISTOL

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

murph226 wrote: »
    Hi lads, I have a meeting with my Chief Super tomorrow.......

Best of luck murph, let us know how you get on.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

what I mean is there are a few court cases still to be dealt in the courts that we cant talk about.but from what I hear is the garda Don't have the blank cheque book from the DOJ anymore and that they have to fund from there own
    budget any challenge

but if for some reason something happens that the gardai cannot cope with due to a lack of funds , eg a missing person's search , or another full scale gang war , then the public might turn against us if they feel we were to blame for bleeding the coffers due to court cases for firearms they don't want us to have either .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Hi lads, I have a meeting with my Chief Super tomorrow.

I was given no indication as to whether or not my license would be renewed.

Hi Murf,

My advice is to bring some one with you, another target shooter is good.

HJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

good luck and stay calm:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

rowa wrote: »
    but if for some reason something happens that the gardai cannot cope with due to a lack of funds , eg a missing person's search , or another full scale gang war , then the public might turn against us if they feel we were to blame for bleeding the coffers due to court cases for firearms they don't want us to have either .

Not our concern - we did NOTHING to precipitate this situation.

The buck stops with Dermo on any fallout from this - Deasy deserves his fair share too.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I wish you well Murph.

Bananaman wrote: »

The buck stops with Dermo on any fallout from this - Deasy deserves his fair share too.

B'Man

and do you honestly think the government spin doctors and the anti-gun media (which seems to be all of it) would allow that to stand in the way of us being blamed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

No I don't

but I won't lose any sleep over it, nor consider it when deciding whether or not to appeal any wrongful decisions.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

B'Man

True we didn't create this it was forced upon us and I'm sure court action for any of us will be our last resort after all other avenues have been exhausted the ball is there court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Good luck Murph bring a witness, take it from my experience ;)

• Advertisement

No I don't

but I won't lose any sleep over it, nor consider it when deciding whether or not to appeal any wrongful decisions.

B'Man

I agree, the fact the truths come out about Gardai helping shield child molesters, they have enough of Press problem as it stands.

It makes me wont to puke, police protecting child sex abusers.

Einstein once said;-

"Evil men dont make an evil world, it's when good men stand by and do nothing"

To think Scotland yard tipped the Gardai of in the 60's, nearly 5 decades ago.

Saddest part is that DH and the Comissioner are only going through the motions, no promises of change or bringing corruption to book, just words.

Even the most twisted criminals on the planet would not protect a child molester so he could continue to abuse.

Sad days indeed, banks totally dishonest, church in league with the devil
    and cops protecting child abusers!

No wonder respectable folks cant license firearms, country has gone down the toilet.

HJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

happyjack/ wrote:
    ;63231204Einstein once said;- "Evil men dont make an evil world, it's when good men stand by and do nothing"

No, i don't think he did. At least, the quote isn't attributable to him.

BornToKill wrote: »
    No, i don't think he did. At least, the quote isn't attributable to him.

Thats the way I remember reading it some years ago, but my memory might be letting me down, if I'm wrong I stand corrected.

Either way it's still a very truthful saying, something to live by.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

English philosopher Edmund Burke said, 'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.'

Lots of people have used variations of this since,
    notable politicians justifying dubious action against alledged threats to national security,
    its probably only second to variations of "God is on our side".

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Meeting with Chief Super put off till monday evening:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Meeting with Chief Super put off till monday evening:rolleyes:

Waiting for the outcome of the court case no doubt. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Cheers man, I think I'll need it.

I spoke to one of the lads in our club last night who has had a meeting with the CS already and its not looking good:(

He said he hasnt and wont be entertaining anything on the restricted list!

When asked why he referred to some guy in Cork who brought a licensed handgun into a bar for a joke:rolleyes:

We were told they were only "restricted" not "prohibited" :rolleyes:

Best of luck but like ya say things haven't changed much after all :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

We were told they were only "restricted" not "prohibited" :rolleyes:

Best of luck but like ya say things haven't changed much after all :mad:
    Well they have changed, otherwise the guys getting refused wouldn't have anything to be refused on :(

rrpc wrote: »
    Well they have changed, otherwise the guys getting refused wouldn't have anything to be refused on :(

We know you're happy :P Only thing that has changed is now Gardai can refuse to issue a licence/authorisation for whatever they want with the legislation to back them up instead of making it up as they go.

Wow! we're so lucky :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

they have changed , and now they're changing back to what the guard's want , carte blanche to do what they want and nt have to answer for it .
    any cases land in the district courts yet ?

We know you're happy :P Only thing that has changed is now Gardai can refuse to issue a licence/authorisation for whatever they want with the legislation to back them up instead of making it up as they go.

Wow! we're so lucky :rolleyes:
    You. are. so. wrong. bunny :mad:

I'm not a bit happy. You're (as usual) taking my sport as being all I'm interested in when in fact I have many friends who do lots of other stuff that I believe they're entitled to do.

Sure I'm heavily involved in ISSF shooting, but that's the luck of the draw; that I managed to end up buying a house a couple of hundred metres from the (as it was then) Rathdrum 50m range and a couple of miles from their indoor range and although at the time I was shooting bunnies, got into target shooting and never looked back.

That doesn't mean I don't care about other sports and what happens to the people shooting them. Many of my friends who are on here have been refused and I've done my best to encourage and help them along the way: happyjack, slug chucker and sidneyreilly to name but a few.

I am very relieved that the majority of the equipment our guys use escaped the chop so far and that we didn't end up with no pistols at all (which almost happened from what Des Crofton says), but that does not mean that I'm happy about what's happened to centre fire pistol which I had intended to take up as time and finances (for both me and my club) allowed.

If you'd been involved in target pistol shooting at all, you'd realise that we're quite a close-knit group with lots of crossover.

BUt you were a fair weather pistol shooter, so what would you know? :mad:

I shot a comp in the rain once :p

No answer for the rest of my post, about us being shafted again by Gardai ?

I shot a comp in the rain once :p

No answer for the rest of my post, about us being shafted again by Gardai ?

Since when was I Garda Commissioner?

And neither the decisions of the Gardai nor the legislation have been tested yet, so it's a bit early to be throwing in the towel.

Not for you of course. You throw in the towel the minute the opposition step into the ring :rolleyes:

Since when was I Garda Commissioner?

Oh I reckon ye are big buddies ;)
    And neither the decisions of the Gardai nor the legislation have been tested yet, so it's a bit early to be throwing in the towel.

And if shooters win they will get the rules changed to make sure they don't win for long as they've already done :rolleyes:
    Not for you of course. You throw in the towel the minute the opposition step into the ring :rolleyes:

No point getting into the ring if you can't win :p

On what basis?
    And if shooters win they will get the rules changed to make sure they don't win for long as they've already done :rolleyes:
    That makes no sense.
    Quitter talk. Did it never occur to you that they want people to quit without a fight?

i do think that if people are successful in getting licences in court for there centrefire pistols then ahern will simply go back and rush through an amendment to counter the victories , he divided the shooters in three and it looks like the only ones who'll have a chance of remaining unscathed are people shooting .22 match pistols .

rowa wrote: »
    i do think that if people are successful in getting licences in court for there centrefire pistols then ahern will simply go back and rush through an amendment to counter the victories , he divided the shooters in three and it looks like the only ones who'll have a chance of remaining unscathed are people shooting .22 match pistols .
    But instead of blaming those lads for their good fortune as bunny appears to be doing, we should be putting all our efforts into making a viable and strong sport that will be much harder to fragment. That means encouraging competition and participation and getting the ranges up to standard. How bad would it be if that were the outcome?

So far that I can see, the bulk of refusals are being made on very shaky grounds. There are some Chief Supers who are taking their time to apply the law fairly and give the genuine lads a chance to make a case for their gear. It may be a bit tougher, but these guys are being fair and that's all you can ask for.

For those who are 'making it up' well that's what the courts are for. I think many are sitting on the fence to see what the courts will say and that's fair enough too, providing that the courts act fairly and impartially and the Chief Supers who are watching for the result act in the proper fashion on foot of the results.

I don't think anyone here would have a problem with a fair and open system and by the same token I believe the Minister won't interfere on that basis either.

But instead of blaming those lads for their good fortune as bunny appears to be doing, we should be putting all our efforts into making a viable and strong sport that will be much harder to fragment. That means encouraging competition and participation and getting the ranges up to standard. How bad would it be if that were the outcome?

So far that I can see, the bulk of refusals are being made on very shaky grounds. There are some Chief Supers who are taking their time to apply the law fairly and give the genuine lads a chance to make a case for their gear. It may be a bit tougher, but these guys are being fair and that's all you can ask for.

For those who are 'making it up' well that's what the courts are for. I think many are sitting on the fence to see what the courts will say and that's fair enough too, providing that the courts act fairly and impartially and the Chief Supers who are watching for the result act in the proper fashion on foot of the results.

I don't think anyone here would have a problem with a fair and open system and by the same token I believe the Minister won't interfere on that basis either.

i wouldn't trust ahern as far as i could throw him ,though i'd like to try off a cliff preferably , he had his knife out for shooting and shooters as soon as he had the chance , pity he isn't as hard on the scumbags who seem to be multiplying and causing havoc .

• Advertisement

Bunny is very bold isn't he ? Blaming those who seem to have got away unscathed while MOST have been or will be shafted :confused:

Well at least he's not being accused of being a liar again :cool: Yet ............................

We, as a 'community' are being criminalised and demonised and we are told by our 'leaders' to keep quiet and everything will be OK :( Well it isn't and won't be !!!!

Our sport, hobby or whatever way you want to describe it will disappear unless we have the money to go to Court for each and every application soon as some of the Gardai are STILL not administering the legistaion they are STILL forcing THEIR OPINIONS on us and we have to pay to get justice. What a sham !!!!!

I have stood up to my Super and where has it got me ? I can't even get a .22lr moderator without a fight.

Advertisement