Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50k wedding

Options
  • 10-11-2009 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Did anyone see the articles about the wedding that cost 50k between two unemployed teens? Neither have ever worked. How do these people afford that? I wonder why I ever bothered my ass working with that going on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

where did you read that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

Was in the dentist today and read the Star, not sure which date it was. Big two page spread, asked a friend of mine from Tuam about it and she said they've never worked and 50k was conservative as the dress cos 5k itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yourmano wrote: »
    Was in the dentist today and read the Star, not sure which date it was. Big two page spread, asked a friend of mine from Tuam about it and she said they've never worked and 50k was conservative as the dress cos 5k itself.

50k wedding...never worked...teen wedding...Tuam...interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Young couple?
    Possibly from Tuam?
    No jobs?

I was suprised in Post 1, not anymore...

Before I get accused of jealousy, this is perhaps true in the sense that I work my behind off as does my woman and we won't be able to afford even a modest wedding for quite some time...we're going wrong somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Was looking for that at the weekend in the papers but got the wrong one...:rolleyes:

Saw the photos on a friends bebo page [a distant friend:D:rolleyes:] but don't think i'm allowed to post them here... [not riskin asking the owners either :P]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

From the Traveller clan. I believe it was in Castlebar about 2 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

we're going wrong somewhere!

You don't deal exclusivly in cash in hand jobs and instead pay thousands in income tax every year
    I think that's a difference between you are your lovely fiancé and this couple ;)

I'm questioning the money though. I mean...50k nowadays no joke.

Am I alone in being cross by this? Two different types of standards in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Wouldn't say I'm cross, or surprised. I could afford to throw €50k at a wedding if I didn't pay taxes, had no adherence to the laws of the state and generally leeched of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

i get where your coming from,
    but i guess its media getting their way, this story made it to the paper for that exact reason to piss people off.

i guess if i were to be considering marriage and saw something like this it would be a kick in the pants alright.

keep saving the copper s maybe thats what they did

I'm afraid to do nixers for fear of getting caught, mate of mine got thrown a four figure tax bill for such jobs. When will these guys ever get that? Now perhaps after being in the paper for such a wedding? I doubt it. And no I'm not anti-Travellers, I just can't understand how this particular couple get away with this or are silly enough to publish it nationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

If two young unemployed people from a working class area of any Irish city, spent 50k on a wedding. I'd wager that the criminal assets bureau would come calling at some point.

I don't care what class anyone is but for two teen first-cousins to have a wedding of that sort, 6 bridesmaids and 6 groomsmen and hummers galore with over 400 guests...dodge if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

djk1000 wrote: »
    If two young unemployed people from a working class area of any Irish city, spent 50k on a wedding. I'd wager that the criminal assets bureau would come calling at some point.

My daddy gave it to me as a present, boss. Now stop discriminating against us just because we're married traveller cousins.

/case closed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I don't see what all the fuss is over spending 50K on a wedding.
    It's not like they need it for a deposit on a house ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

JohnCleary wrote: »
    My daddy gave it to me as a present, boss. Now stop discriminating against us just because we're married traveller cousins.

/case closed :mad:

Exactly! And if Daddy doesn't live in a house well then technically Daddy is of no fixed abode; so Daddy isn't eligible for much tax; if any:rolleyes:

Exactly! And if Daddy doesn't live in a house well then technically Daddy is of no fixed abode; so Daddy isn't eligible for much tax; if any:rolleyes:

Think i'll move into a caravan for a while :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Think i'll move into a caravan for a while :p

Nah, just live on the boat and call it an offshore tax haven. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I don't know what annoys me more - the fact that they have never worked and could spend €50,000 on a wedding OR the fact that stuff like this will keep happening because some things will never change in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Before I get accused of jealousy, this is perhaps true in the sense that I work my behind off as does my woman and we won't be able to afford even a modest wedding for quite some time...we're going wrong somewhere!

I can understand your anger at this but feck them, so what if they do that? Bet all the money in the world didn't buy them a 'classy' wedding. People get totally caught up in their 'special day' and forget it's not about the wedding it's about a lifetime of marriage togther. Feck having a wedding, stop off in the registry office on the way to a nice restaurant. 300 bucks. Job done. No bullsh1t. To be honest a lot guests don't even want to go to a wedding anyway. It's a hassle and an expense for everyone and maybe I'm a cynic (:rolleyes:) but I think it's a giant waste of time, a giant waste of money and just another claw that the catholic church is grasping us with. No offence intended to anyone. If you want to spend your life with someone why do you need to thrown 50K away to prove that point to your family and friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

She lives in an estate on the westside of the city. they are settled travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Travellers like big flamboyant weddings.
    We don't know if they've saved up years for this or maybe have well off relatives that pay the lion share of this.
    They may have taken out a loan for it too.
    Maybe they guests are supposed to chip in a couple hundred a head, I know ordinary weddings do that. That should pay for a lot of it.
    We don't know.

2nd page and no links?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's traditional for the father of the bride to pay for the wedding which I'm assuming happened here, so I don't blame the two getting married at all.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's traditional for the father of the bride to pay for the wedding which I'm assuming happened here, so I don't blame the two getting married at all.

They probably have the same father

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder what proportion of wedding costs are paid by the parents/relatives in your average Irish wedding? Especially if it's a young couple who've had little chance to save up for themselves.

TBH the speculation here annoys me: we know nothing about the tax-compliance of the families involved, or how they organise their family affairs. Yes, some Travellers avoid tax by working in the cash-economy. But so do some settled people (remember those farmers who were up in arms 'cos the EU wanted to pay their subsidies into bank accounts rather than by cheque. I'm kinda guessing that their annoyance wasn't because of having to visit the nearest ATM to get at the cash).

No, I wouldn't pay that much on a wedding myself. But I have recently attended a family wedding that I estimate cost E20k - and I think that was far too much to spend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

She was in my primary school a few years ago. I couldn't believe when I saw it in the paper. And BTW she's not from Tuam or Castlebar as was assumed earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

No recession here.

Need a link, didn't read about it in the paper

Advertisement