Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taunting Estate Agents

Options
  • 10-11-2009 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey Everyone,
    I've just invented a fun new game. It involves replying to the most overpriced, euphemism laden Daft ads and basically taking the piss.
    E.G. This beauty described as "A beautiful renovated luxury two bedroom house in pristine condition and in a fantastic country setting." LINK

My reply to the estate agent went as follows: Decribing this as a luxury house sets a record for stretching the use of this word far beyond the usual estate agent double speak. Was this place designed by the SS as it looks like it has been taken straight from a concentration camp? Why are the windows so small? What do you do if there is a fire?
    Sincerely The Taunter

Perhaps if more folk engage in this fun game estate agents will start giving more honest descriptions/prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If you were taunting the seller directly at their insanely high price, then fair enough some of them are in cloud cuckooland.
    But the EA's dont set the price and you can hardly blame them for trying to tart up an advert. Would you buy something (as expensive) just on what the advert says? The advert might get you to go and view the property but your own judgement takes over after that.

Christ i'm standing up for EA's now, time for bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

surely the moderators should delete this thread immediately. This country is in a mess and about to go under and we have people who want to "taunt" others - what sort of people are we?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Whats wrong with this cottage ?

I think it looks quite typical for the area and the price isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    surely the moderators should delete this thread immediately. This country is in a mess and about to go under and we have people who want to "taunt" others - what sort of people are we?:mad:

Oh right. Censor free speech you mean.

The country is in a mess and about to go under in no small part due to the spin that agents such as these engaged in. Rightly so, we should try to do everything we can to stop it. EA's are unregulated so there isn't really any formal way of stopping this. In fact there's no will at all in the government to stop this. The EA bodies are delighted I'm sure.

Personally, I wouldn't bother taunting as I'd consider it a waste of my time, perhaps even a bit sad. The market as it is will eventually put them out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

€595 a month for that is mad money, you can get a three bed in Galway city for that much if you shop around. Still, "taunting" is a bit silly, there must be a more productive use to which one can put ones time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

robd wrote: »
    Oh right. Censor free speech you mean.

There is no freedom of speech on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

A pretty tasteless idea to say the least. If you have objections to the conduct of particular agents, senior figures in estates agencies, or their "research" analysts, take it up with them in a professional manner. Or just let the market deal with them as it has done over the last 2 years.

But this kind of behaviour is no different than those cretins who like to take out their discontent with government policy on individual bank tellers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Quite frankly I don't see what anyone hopes to achieve by taunting estate agents, regardless of how misguided they are. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement