Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artists to Get the Greatest Hits of

Options
  • 10-11-2009 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

What artists would you recommend getting the greatest hits of rather than any individual album?

I'm a big fan of buying albums rather than greatest hits. I like to listen to the complete work as one. However, Some artists' catalogues are very hit and miss. Others, just too big to explore unless you're a big fan.

Some of my choices:

Isley Brothers
    Some great songs in there. What other artist's career has spanned the Soul, Funk and Hip Hop eras, and even had Jimi Hendrix as a guitarist at one point? However, their many great songs is due to the sheer number of songs they've released. their batting average wasn't great.

Speaking of Jimi Hendrix...
    A lot of people would disagree with this one, but of his few albums, at least half the songs were filler. Experience Hendrix has all but a small handful of his great songs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ziggy_Stardust

I'd recommend The Kinks - The Ultimate Collection,

There have been many Kinks greatest hits and best of's released over the years but this one is definitly the best. Its got 2 CD's and about 40odd tracks but i've no problem listening to the whole thing straight through. I have this CD a few years not and still feel the urge to give it a listen every few weeks!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you're a fan of the Isley Brother greatest hits, i would suggest:

Aint No Sunshine: The Best of Bill Withers. It's a 2 CD set and includes his best songs.
    http://www.cdwow.ie/CD/BILL-WITHERS-AINT-NO-SUNSHINE/dp/1220655#bc=e661
    If you cant get that then a good alternative is:
    http://www.cdwow.ie/CD/BILL-WITHERS-LOVELY-DAY-THE-BEST-OF-BILL-WITHERS/dp/253329#bc=20f4
    Only 1 disk though.

Funkadelic:
    http://www.cdwow.ie/CD/FUNKADELIC-BEST-OF-STANDING-ON-THE-VERGE/dp/5791407#bc=6d7f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

Have to say John Lennon not one of his solo albums are not patchy at best, in my opinion, but then occasionally stumbles on some genius songs e.g. working class hero, jealous guy, mother & well well well.

Also any early blues artists their releases are so scattered its just easier to get compilations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Bruce Springsteen - Greatest Hits
    Def Leppard - Best Of
    Bon Jovi - Crossroad
    Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music - Streetlife
    Gary Moore - Platinum Collection
    Guns 'N' Roses - Greatest Hits
    INXS - Definitive
    Led Zeppelin - Mothership
    Peter Gabriel - Shaking the tree
    Tom Petty - Anthology through the years
    Van Halen - Best of both worlds.
    To name but a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Kool & The Gang - The Funk Collection
    Barry White - All Time Greatest Hits
    David Bowie - Changesbowie
    Prince - The Very Best Of
    OutKast - Big Boi & Dre Present...
    Funkadelic - Ultimate Funkadelic
    Parliament - The Ultimate Collection
    Duke Ellington - The Duke At His Best

All very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

ELO - Electric Light Orchestra - Greatest Hits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Midnight Oil - Flat Chat
    Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Greatest Hits of the 21st Century
    Police - Greatest Hits
    Public Image Ltd - Greatest Hits So Far
    B.B King - His Definitive Greatest Hits
    Leonard Cohen - Best Of
    Creedence - Greatest Hits
    Charlie Christian - Best Of
    Fela Kuti - Best Of

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

David Bowie - Changesbowie
    OutKast - Big Boi & Dre Present...
    I disagree with these. Artists worth getting the solo work imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

The Offspring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Kold wrote: »
    I disagree with these. Artists worth getting the solo work imo.
    On OutKast, I'd agree with you (although that compilation has a few songs not on any albums).

On Bowie, I think it'd be best to start with Changesbowie. Personally, there are some Bowie albums (in particular, I'm thinking of Space Oddity & Let's Dance) that I only like on or two songs off so I got more enjoyment out of Changesbowie.

Advertisement