Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice from UL eng students

• 10-11-2009 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm in 1st yr eng in ul, i seem to be doing ok so far but my head is getting messed with the intro to eng, can any past students shed some light on this module, out of 30% i have 22 in the bag i have another report coming up which is worth 20% and i'm expecting over 10%, the lecturer seems to mark the theory side very tough unless its perfect you get no attempt marks and i'm freaking out in case i mess up, he's offered 10% in in class tests and myself and a good few in the class got zero,

overall i'm doing ok but i'm putting in a lot of hours and don't feel i'm getting out as much as i'm putting in, i'm slow with mechanics and chemistry,

Can any past student give me advice on what to look out for, is the intro to eng a tricky one to pass?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Don't worry about intro, you'll pass. If you're finding some of the other modules tough, you definitely shouldn't be putting anywhere near as much time into intro as you are into them.

Is it still spread over two semesters?

Remember a D2 is only 28% so you should be fine. I got a D2 and I missed all of my presentations that were worth most of the marks I think.

It seems to be just a filler subject and is a bit of a waste of time if you ask me, especially if it is still spread over two semesters. Fair enough, you need to know how to reference and write reports properly etc. but the theory is a complete waste of time. I think making it 100% coursework would be much better. It is a few years since I did it so it might have changed since then.

The main thing is don't worry about it, definitely focus on the tougher subjects like mechanics, electrical etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

Intro was cool as far as writing reports went, but useless otherwise. It was basically made to fill the gap where they took out what could have been uselful language modules.

Remember that first year doesnt count towards future qca.

So leave intro alone and do you're mechanics. Some of chem is important for materials. I'm not sure when you do fluids but that crops up alot in the future, even if the man himself is a god, (to himself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DESQ

Thanks lads! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

DESQ wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm in 1st yr eng in ul, i seem to be doing ok so far but my head is getting messed with the intro to eng, can any past students shed some light on this module, out of 30% i have 22 in the bag i have another report coming up which is worth 20% and i'm expecting over 10%, the lecturer seems to mark the theory side very tough unless its perfect you get no attempt marks and i'm freaking out in case i mess up, he's offered 10% in in class tests and myself and a good few in the class got zero,

overall i'm doing ok but i'm putting in a lot of hours and don't feel i'm getting out as much as i'm putting in, i'm slow with mechanics and chemistry,

Can any past student give me advice on what to look out for, is the intro to eng a tricky one to pass?

Thanks

Im second year English, which module is this? Critical Practice? Any chance the guy is David C?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Im second year English, which module is this? Critical Practice? Any chance the guy is David C?
    I'm pretty sure he means eng = engineering, not english :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement