If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Firmware Team/Support - Any contact details?

Options
  • 10-11-2009 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Just thought I'd start up a new thread on this to see what comes of it. I'm no longer receiving responses from Philips Customer Care and I was told that the firmware team should be in contact with me regarding numerous issues and tidbits I was forwarding on to them. However it's been nearly a month now and I've not had contact in some time - is there anything the folks in the Philips shop can do for me like a name/email address of someone directly involved in this area who may be able to assist?

I was waiting until the end of October because Philips seem to release firmware on or around the 28th of each month, however there was no new firmware release then. Sure, the datestamp from this link says the latest firmware is 0.26.58.5 and was release on October 28th, but I've had that version of firmware since late September when I posted about the Scenea addition..it seems the Philips folks updated the datestamp for the latest firmware but didn't actually release new firmware :p

Any pointers I can be given would be great ;)

Thanks,

TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Out of interest, what bugs/issues are you having with current firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I want to ask about the following:
    • MPEG4 Playback being jerky
    • Support for AC3 5.1 - using TVersity to transcode the video from MKV's to MPG for playback is fine. Most of those MKV's come with AC3 5.1 audio. This has to be downmixed to 2ch before being put to the TV ...it seems the TV can't handle full 5.1 AC3 - the audio gets crackly/low volume/distorted etc.

• Support for 5.1ch via the CoAx out at the back of the TV. Whatever 5.1 source is input to the TV appears to be downmixed to 2ch to be audible. I would expect this downmix to happen after the audio is sent out the Digital CoAxial connector at teh back of the TV, but before it's sent out the standard 2CH left/white phonos. In actual fact the first thing to happen in the chain is the downmix which means you'll only get 2ch output from the TV via the output ports - not much point in hooking it up to a sound system anymore.

• Volume Control being unresponsive periodically when watching stuff via Browse PC Mode. It's not a a battery problem, every other button works grand except Vol +/- For instance, I lowered down Star Trek for a loud scene..approx 1 minute later I tried to return the volume to it's previous setting, unresponsive. It remained unresponsive for the rest of the movie (1 hour) and in the end I had to turn off the TV and turn it back on again for it to work.

• The addition of the volume bar/indicator on browse PC/usb mode

• The addition of the "picture settings" menu on browse pc/usb mode

• The TV forgetting what teletext page it was on when you switch from TT to TV. All other TV's I have remember the last Teletext page you were viewing if you have to switch back to TV and don't change the channel (when it reverts to 100). Every time you turn off Teletext on the 8404 it reverts to 100, whether you change the channel or not. I understand this may seem small and teletext outdated, but it'd make the firmware more complete.

• Why does the home menu sometimes take more than 40 seconds to appear? I turn on my TV, I wait for the white light to flash a few times, get the philips logo and eventually I get TV after about 15 seconds. However, I can't get to the home menu (button unresponsive) until after the TV shows me what channel I'm viewing (number + name). This has taken ~40 seconds total on a few occassions which seems like a very long delay between power up and operation for a TV - even the pioneer downstairs isn't that long and it's an older model of TV

• The ability to move items around/hide from the Home menu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just heading out to work and switched on the box for the news and got the message new firmware ready so I installed the latest version. 0.6.66.0. This is on the 9664.

rednik wrote: »
    Just heading out to work and switched on the box for the news and got the message new firmware ready so I installed the latest version. 0.6.66.0. This is on the 9664.

Not out for us just yet I'm afraid, still on the 000.026.058.005 I outlined earlier

And as per usual no release notes, so no idea what the update contains...

• Advertisement

I want to ask about the following:
    Volume Control being unresponsive periodically when watching stuff via Browse PC Mode.
    I've seen this when play Iron Man blu ray. The volume controls just won't work.
    The ability to move items around/hide from the Home menu
    I'd like to see this too. Hide the useless Scenea thing for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

• Support for 5.1ch via the CoAx out at the back of the TV. Whatever 5.1 source is input to the TV appears to be downmixed to 2ch to be audible. I would expect this downmix to happen after the audio is sent out the Digital CoAxial connector at teh back of the TV, but before it's sent out the standard 2CH left/white phonos. In actual fact the first thing to happen in the chain is the downmix which means you'll only get 2ch output from the TV via the output ports - not much point in hooking it up to a sound system anymore.

That does not sound encouraging at all. I am shopping around for a TV and had narrowed the search to the 8404 / Samsung B650.

If the Philips cannot send 5.1 to my receiver then what is the point in me getting it.

Can anyone else who owns a 7404 / 8404 comment on TouchingVirus's Problems?

moonboy52 wrote: »
    If the Philips cannot send 5.1 to my receiver then what is the point in me getting it.

Can anyone else who owns a 7404 / 8404 comment on TouchingVirus's Problems?

If you have an AV receiver and a 5.1 source (lets say HDMI) then you can hook up the source to the receiver, hook the receiver up to the TV and just use your TV to display the image.

My point was in direct reference to using the TV's multimedia feature/network connection to play back media with 5.1 audio. I have an old receiver that can only take optical, coax and standard 3.5mm stero as inputs. So if I wanted to use this receiver to listen to my 5.1 AVI file I couldn't, because using the CoAx output only appears send 2ch to my receiver (receiver display says "Stereo"). I was asked to confirm this by a user here on another thread and that's when I did my test.

It'd be nice if somebody from the Philips shop could even acknowledge reading this thread, even if they can't help :) It is remarkably hard to get in touch with somebody in a particular department in some companies :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi TouchingVirus

I'm going to send all your information/notes in this post across to our rep and have him forward it on to the correct department in Philips.

Hopefully this will get some answers for you.
    atb
    Ash

Hi TouchingVirus

I'm going to send all your information/notes in this post across to our rep and have him forward it on to the correct department in Philips.

Hopefully this will get some answers for you.
    atb
    Ash

Thanks very much Ash, I wouldn't have come back to you guys at all as I don't really think it's fair to be hassling you over poor customer service that isn't in your shop, but it was my last resort. From my email inbox I've last talked to Philips on September 30th. So thank you once again, it's much appreciated!

• Advertisement

So my 5.1 media is on my P.C lets say, I browse to it and play it on the tv and hook up the spdif to my receiver, then i wont get 5.1 only 2 channel?

If that is the case i think i would be better off getting the B650 as i would say it can output 5.1 from the above scenario and of course supports the MKV container.

I assume if the media is stored on my PS3 or i play a blu-ray then there is no problem as i would be using HDMI.

moonboy52 wrote: »
    So my 5.1 media is on my P.C lets say, I browse to it and play it on the tv and hook up the spdif to my receiver, then i wont get 5.1 only 2 channel?

If that is the case i think i would be better off getting the B650 as i would say it can output 5.1 from the above scenario and of course supports the MKV container.

I assume if the media is stored on my PS3 or i play a blu-ray then there is no problem as i would be using HDMI.

There is no S/PDIF (Optical) out on the 8404. If you mean CoAx out on the TV to your receiver then yes, in my experience I have only managed to obtain 2ch no matter if the source you are viewing is 5.1ch.

If you are streaming 5.1ch MKV files via TVersity (transcoding to MPG) then you'll have to set AC3filter to 2/0 (stereo output), this will mean your TV is getting 2ch input so there is definitely no hope of 5.1ch out the COAX :D

Hi Guys

Casting my mind back to the PFL9632 range of TV's the SPDIF Co Ax out would only handle stereo it would not pass through 5.1.

Guessing this hasnt changed on the current range of TV's
    Ash

Sent you a Pm Ash

Hi there

pm responed to

Cheers
    Ash

*Bump*

No word from anybody on this Ash, any joy on your end? Starting to feel a bit like I'm being given a 'long stand' by Philips' aftersales support team which is rather disappointing :(

Hi There

I'll chase up or rep on Monday and see if I can get an update.

FYI there is a new Firmware update for the 42PFL8404 released 20th Nov
    000.026.066.000 on the Philips website.

I'll bounce this thread across now as a reminder and chase up monday

Have a good weekend
    Ash

Hi There

I'll chase up or rep on Monday and see if I can get an update.

FYI there is a new Firmware update for the 42PFL8404 released 20th Nov
    000.026.066.000 on the Philips website.

I'll bounce this thread across now as a reminder and chase up monday

Have a good weekend
    Ash

Thanks Ash :)

I've updated to the new firmware, once again there's no improvement in any of these issues. The last few updates I can't tell what the difference is, and with no proper changelog it appears it'll stay that way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

As a new owner of a 37PFL8404 I would like to add my support to the comments regarding the firmware.

A previous poster has listed several issues and at minimum Philips should have acknowledged the receipt of the issue list and then indicated which issues will be addressed and when. This is standard practice in the software industry and firmware is just more software.

Also, even a junior engineer would know to ship a release note with a patch update. This type of sloppiness is unforgivable.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Touching could you email me a list of the issues you would like a response to and I will submit them to Philips service and chase a response for you personally - with regard to the lack of information regarding firmware update I completely agree with you and I will write to Philips again and (whilst I'm only a minnow) request that these are included.

Thanks again,

Best regards,

John McDonald

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

@WicklowRacer.
    Also, even a junior engineer would know to ship a release note with a patch update. This type of sloppiness is unforgivable.

The Release notes for the firmware update mentioned in Ashley's post can be found here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpcontent.pl?tmplt=ePlatform%20-%20Philips&scy=IE&slg=ENG&mid=Link_Software&sct=LCD_EXTRA_LARGE_GT40_SU&cat=FLAT_TV_CA&grp=TV_GR&session=20090924101251_92.61.198.149&ctn=42PFL8404H/12&dct=FUS&did=ENG&file=/files/4/42pfl8404h_12/42pfl8404h_12_fur_eng.pdf

The following items are addressed in the most recent firmware release:
    Q5481_0. 26.66.0
    • When "EasyLink" feature is switched off in the TV menu, the channel number or name OSDs will not be displayed or display as „undefined format‟ when switching to external inputs or TV channels.
    • Channel preset/position are shifted by +1 after performing cable installation with UPC network. (Only applicable to country, Netherland)
    • Improvement of the network connectivity with some routers, e.g. Zyxel models. (Only applicable for Net TV models)
    • The IP-EPG is not displaying the scheduled broadcast programme (empty) after updating the TV software to version 26.58.5. (Only applicable for Net TV models)

Mod Comment to All:

I wouldn't like to see this thread turn into a free-for-all about perceived shortcomings, I don't see this as in any way helpful to resolving the issue for the person who started this thread.

If you want to engage with the Philips Shop about resolving an issue on an item you've bought from them then feel free to start a thread of your own to ask for their advice or assistance, or contact the shop directy, contact details at the top of the Forum in a "Stickey".

Please also take the time to read the Stickey entitled "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING".

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks Ritz,

as above I'll do my best to get answers to specific issues direct from the Geeks at Philips in Holland -if theer are any queries just email me directly to johnmc@richersounds.ie - no promises, but I'll do my level best!

Thanks again (as ever) +

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.