Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A break through! - pardon the big pic!

Options
  • 10-11-2009 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

My newest project..... left in to be spayed and was going to be returned to the wild but she could be handled and, yeah, gave a little hiss when you went to pick her up but no outward aggression. When i held her at first she was ridged in my arms. Brought her home and popped her on my bed and petted her for a bit and she pulled away but after a bit started purring but then bolted under the bed. Put a bowl of food/water out and a litter tray. Has not pee'd/poo'd once anywhere but the tray. Still hid under the
    bed but tonight i got her from beside the warddrobe and held her for a bit... not as ridged. Popped her on the bed beside me and she curled up and when i went to pet her and didnt pull away and then let me rub her tummy and started purring and then groomed a little.... and has not stopped purring! Just have to see if she bolts when i go to lie down.... she will be looking for a home soon. And no she isnt a run of the mill moggie, there is something special about her, think she may be Abyssinian cross!

Ladies and Gents... Cheryl!

33yjc06.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

You return cat's to the wild after treating them,I never knew this happened,I always thought ferile or stray cats were re-holmed or put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

she has the most beautiful face,,,lovely little cat ,,i hope she settles and you manage to find her a home,best of luck with her:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

She looks a bit like my Sasquatch, who's a burmese cross. Pretty girl, nice that you can work on rehoming her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Fair play, Jules, she's a stunner!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 catmad

Beautiful cat, Cheryl has fallen on her feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

She's beautiful, I hope you find a good home for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

marlin vs wrote: »
    You return cat's to the wild after treating them,I never knew this happened,I always thought ferile or stray cats were re-holmed or put down.

:eek:

jesus no way, we have people down the country that allow neutered cats to live. We test them for fiv/felv and give them shots and flea/worming treatment. If we can make them a bit more domestic we will..... we believe in the three R's - recover, rehabilitate, rehome!

marlin vs, it's not always the case and there are a number of different approaches.

Some vets and pounds / shelters do indeed put viable cats to sleep. Others look for ways around this - and you can't rehome everything, because not eveything is friendly.

Trap / neuter / release is a technique used with established cat colonies that have a defined territory. The logic is that if you trapped and euthanised all of the cats and freed up the territory, it would not remain cat-free for long - another colony would simply move in there over time, and breed, and within two or three years you'd be back to being overrun with cats. By neutering and re-releasing you allow the cats to keep their territory while not increasing in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

What a breautiful cat! Would love a cat but am allergic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

marlin vs, it's not always the case and there are a number of different approaches.

Some vets and pounds / shelters do indeed put viable cats to sleep. Others look for ways around this - and you can't rehome everything, because not eveything is friendly.

Trap / neuter / release is a technique used with established cat colonies that have a defined territory. The logic is that if you trapped and euthanised all of the cats and freed up the territory, it would not remain cat-free for long - another colony would simply move in there over time, and breed, and within two or three years you'd be back to being overrun with cats. By neutering and re-releasing you allow the cats to keep their territory while not increasing in numbers.

That makes a bit of sense,I learn something new everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Jules wrote: »
    :eek:

jesus no way, we have people down the country that allow neutered cats to live. We test them for fiv/felv and give them shots and flea/worming treatment. If we can make them a bit more domestic we will..... we believe in the three R's - recover, rehabilitate, rehome!
    After seeing your posts I figured you must know a lot about cats, so I thought I'd chance asking a few ?'s bout my kitty's if dont mind.....

I have 2 kittens from a feral cat. They both had cat flu, and were on antibiotics for a week. That was a few weeks ago they finished them maybe 3 not sure. One seems to be over it and only sneezes a little bit. The other however is still blocked up and sneezes, she runs around and eats as normal. Is this a virus, that antibiotics won't cure? One kitten from this litter died from a bad URI she was on a drip and at the vets but still didn't make it!
    My question is if I bring it to the vet should she be tested for an fiv/fel and will this cost more? Do all vets cost in and around the same. Have paid 40€ last time for a visit(different feral cat(also wasnt happy with vet, as didn't get a diagnosis really), is this average?
    Also I have wormed them as I am convinced they had roundworms. there seems to be no end to their health problems:confused::confused:
    I have found a great home for her and want her in good health! would appreciate any advice
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

She's lovely, I wish I could take her in, my limit (for now) is two cats.

I don't think you'll have a problem re-homing that one.

Also to the post above me I got a cat tested for fiv/fel and the test cost €50 and the vet consult was €40.

If your not happy with the vet then the best thing to do is find a different one even if it means travelling more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

susanroth wrote: »
    After seeing your posts I figured you must know a lot about cats, so I thought I'd chance asking a few ?'s bout my kitty's if dont mind.....

I have 2 kittens from a feral cat. They both had cat flu, and were on antibiotics for a week. That was a few weeks ago they finished them maybe 3 not sure. One seems to be over it and only sneezes a little bit. The other however is still blocked up and sneezes, she runs around and eats as normal. Is this a virus, that antibiotics won't cure? One kitten from this litter died from a bad URI she was on a drip and at the vets but still didn't make it!
    My question is if I bring it to the vet should she be tested for an fiv/fel and will this cost more? Do all vets cost in and around the same. Have paid 40€ last time for a visit(different feral cat(also wasnt happy with vet, as didn't get a diagnosis really), is this average?
    Also I have wormed them as I am convinced they had roundworms. there seems to be no end to their health problems:confused::confused:
    I have found a great home for her and want her in good health! would appreciate any advice
    :D
    The DSPCA have a mobile clinic that's probably a good bit cheaper than you're paying,are you in dublin?

baaaa wrote: »
    The DSPCA have a mobile clinic that's probably a good bit cheaper than you're paying,are you in dublin?

No in galway. are the symptoms of this kitten one of FIV do you think? I want to find out the right things to ask so that I dont feel the visit was a waste of time or money! Generally are vet prices comparable I know there can be a big difference in neutering costs but wasnt sure about visits. To be honest I am gonna be murdered as well for bringing her as nobody seems to be a fan of cats.. I'll be killed for "wasting" money etc.... I just hate seeing her all blocked up.

No in galway. are the symptoms of this kitten one of FIV do you think? I want to find out the right things to ask so that I dont feel the visit was a waste of time or money! Generally are vet prices comparable I know there can be a big difference in neutering costs but wasnt sure about visits. To be honest I am gonna be murdered as well for bringing her as nobody seems to be a fan of cats.. I'll be killed for "wasting" money etc.... I just hate seeing her all blocked up.
    I dunno anything about FIV,sorry.
    I'm pretty sure it's wrong for it to be blocked up for so long though-I had one a while ago that was also feral and blocked up,stopped breathing on the couch and had to rush it to 24 hr vet for steroids.

baaaa wrote: »
    I dunno anything about FIV,sorry.
    I'm pretty sure it's wrong for it to be blocked up for so long though-I had one a while ago that was also feral and blocked up,stopped breathing on the couch and had to rush it to 24 hr vet for steroids.

I'm just gonna sneak her to a vet, not in the mood to deal with the wrath of cat-haters!!! What is the deal with pple hating them! I'm so sick of hearing about it! you'd think these haters would get them neutered to prevent the growing problem instead of just letting them reproduce more and then complaining!:mad::mad:
    Sorry for the rant...

I'm just gonna sneak her to a vet, not in the mood to deal with the wrath of cat-haters!!! What is the deal with pple hating them! I'm so sick of hearing about it! you'd think these haters would get them neutered to prevent the growing problem instead of just letting them reproduce more and then complaining!:mad::mad:
    Sorry for the rant...
    Might as well if she's not getting better.People just like having things to hate I suppose,if you ever force these people into getting to know a kitten they always repent I find.

susanroth - yes, have her tested, but her persistent sneezles and URTI could be a sign of feline herpes. You can buy an amino acid supplement called L-Lysine in health food stores and supermarket vitamin sections. Humans take it to ward off cold sores. You can supplement kitty's food with it for a while to see if it helps beat the herpes virus. Ask your vet for dosing rates - it really does make a difference, I had a bunch of rescue cats who passed around herpes related sniffles for months until I moved onto Lysine - and it's a damn sight cheaper than repeated antibiotics.

Before a stressful episode, my cats get a maintenance dose of 250mg per cat per day - that's a half of one 500mg capsule or tablet, crushed into their food. As they get older, I hardly have to give it at all these days.

susanroth - yes, have her tested, but her persistent sneezles and URTI could be a sign of feline herpes. You can buy an amino acid supplement called L-Lysine in health food stores and supermarket vitamin sections. Humans take it to ward off cold sores. You can supplement kitty's food with it for a while to see if it helps beat the herpes virus. Ask your vet for dosing rates - it really does make a difference, I had a bunch of rescue cats who passed around herpes related sniffles for months until I moved onto Lysine - and it's a damn sight cheaper than repeated antibiotics.

Before a stressful episode, my cats get a maintenance dose of 250mg per cat per day - that's a half of one 500mg capsule or tablet, crushed into their food. As they get older, I hardly have to give it at all these days.

Thanks so much, that was really helpful!! I do have a feeling it is feline herpes judging by the litter and her symptoms. She really is a happy kitten, I just can't stand seeing her all blocked up cause I know how crappy it feels!

Advertisement