Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Oz in recession? I Hear conflicting reports...

Options
  • 10-11-2009 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I was wondering whether or not to go to Oz this December. I hear people going on about not finding jobs, but then I was talking to an Ozzie girl who had recently left Australia, she was saying that there was no recession at all. When I google recession and Australia I also get mixed results. It seems that this time of year is the best (summer and christmas rolled into one).

Reading threads in the forum though suggests the WHV itself and it's 6 month employment restriction makes it very hard for us to get any work. Is this true for any sector, even factory work, laboring or packing shelves at a supermarket?

I don't have a degree or a trade but I don't really care what work I go into, as long as I can work in the city.

I was thinking of going into Melbourne, but Sydney is an option aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No it's not in a recession, and it never really was tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No it's not in a recession, and it never really was tbh
    At least not like Ireland,
    Industries have slowed down, but there are still plenty of jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

It's not in a recession but be prepared to be patient when looking for a job, no matter what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Decemeber is a BAD time to get a job, as this is peak season in sydney anyway, there is a HUGE amount of people land on sydney around then for xmas and new year, so casual labour has a lot of competition, and then throw in the fact at most professional businesses don't bother hiring a few weeks before xmas ....

if you come over in Dec, working will be hard, but it is also the best time to have a good time etc

hussey wrote: »
    Decemeber is a BAD time to get a job, as this is peak season in sydney anyway, there is a HUGE amount of people land on sydney around then for xmas and new year, so casual labour has a lot of competition, and then throw in the fact at most professional businesses don't bother hiring a few weeks before xmas ....

if you come over in Dec, working will be hard, but it is also the best time to have a good time etc

+1

Same goes for accomodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Goiter

When do you think would be the best time to come over, in regards to getting work?

winter ;) ... but seriously, the summer time is peak, but people also start to move after summer, so people will leave to go elsewhere and jobs will be exchanged , personally I think late Jan is a good time. but summer in sydney rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

A lot of peoples WHV’s also run out at this time of year so although there is a lot of competition there are also jobs that become available. People are reluctant to give jobs to people on WHV because of the 6 month restriction but there are jobs out there.

Doc wrote: »
    A lot of peoples WHV’s also run out at this time of year so although there is a lot of competition there are also jobs that become available. People are reluctant to give jobs to people on WHV because of the 6 month restriction but there are jobs out there.

LOL, almost everyone I know currently working (that has been here for over 6months) has been working for more than 6 months in the one job.
    I'm probably approaching it soon, and no mention of me leaving

Mellor wrote: »
    LOL, almost everyone I know currently working (that has been here for over 6months) has been working for more than 6 months in the one job.
    I'm probably approaching it soon, and no mention of me leaving

Well their working illegally then and personally I wouldn’t risk it if you want to stay past 1 year.

• Advertisement

Well their working illegally then and personally I wouldn’t risk it if you want to stay past 1 year.

As far as I'm aware, if a company wants to keep you longer than 6 months, they just need to contact the Dept. of Immigration and the majority of the time, as long as it's for the sake of a month or two, there's no questions asked.

No mate, that's not true .... the dept of immigration would not say that, they might turn a blind eye, which is different than actually giving that advice

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Goiter

Can you go over to Oz on a holiday visa without a return ticket (show them traveller checks to show you're independant) and then when you find a job, apply for your visa yourself in Australia (since it can take as little as a few hours)??

I just don't want to waste a visa or find out that i can't find a job, and then have to fruit pick for a few months just to get another one to use years later.

Thanks for the info so far guys.

No mate, that's not true .... the dept of immigration would not say that, they might turn a blind eye, which is different than actually giving that advice

Sorry, maybe my wording was wrong. I just meant they won't make you jump through hoops to make it happen.

Goiter wrote: »
    Can you go over to Oz on a holiday visa without a return ticket (show them traveller checks to show you're independant) and then when you find a job, apply for your visa yourself in Australia (since it can take as little as a few hours)??

I just don't want to waste a visa or find out that i can't find a job, and then have to fruit pick for a few months just to get another one to use years later.

I'm a little confused by the question. You won't get a job without a visa in your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Imagine the interview.

"Have you a work visa?"

"Give me the job and I will get one":(

No he's right. But there are conditions, it has to be a skilled job, and one your are critical to. Example, an engineer on a job that has ran over time. There is a form to fill out afaik.
    I don't see how it would affect the second year, even though its technically illegal,

You can't apply for the visa from inside australia (2nd WHV is different). You have to fly out to NZ or somewhere, its hardly worth it.

"Working for longer than six months with the same organisation, regardless of whether the duties or location of the employee change, is generally not allowed. A Working Holiday visa holder may, work for independently owned franchises located in different areas for up to six months at each, as long as the franchisees are different employers with different Australian Business Numbers.

You cannot stay in the same job beyond six months by using different employment agencies, business affiliates or sub-contracting arrangements.

If you hold a second Working Holiday visa, you may return to work for a further six months for an employer with whom you worked on your first Working Holiday visa."

Maybe you are right mellor - I wonder what the 'generally' means in this sense
    (taken from http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/obligations.htm)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

There was no recession in Australia because for there to be a recession the GDP would have to have contract in two successive quarters. Only Q4 last year GDP contracted by 0.6% probably because people were being a bit careful, Q1 of 2009 recovered and the threat of a recssion subsided.

The issue with jobs is that many Aussies have returned from UK, Middle East, Europe & USA seeking jobs and they have to be catered for first.

(taken from http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/obligations.htm)
    If you read on to the next paragraph it covers it. A period of less than one month, but i'd say thats abused too if granted.
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    There was no recession in Australia because for there to be a recession the GDP would have to have contract in two successive quarters.
    I think you are being over-analytical. We all know what the economic definition is, at anyone who watches the news.
    But the OP was using the phrase to get a general feel of the world.

In practical terms, there is no difference (to the man on the street in terms of jobs etc) between a country that had 0.1% growth over two consecutive quarters, and one that had -0.1%
    Yet one is in recession.

I remember the day it was announced Ireland is officially in recession. Was no different to the previous 3 months, (except maybe for the scare mongering aspect, which is another issue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

"Working for longer than six months with the same organisation, regardless of whether the duties or location of the employee change, is generally not allowed. A Working Holiday visa holder may, work for independently owned franchises located in different areas for up to six months at each, as long as the franchisees are different employers with different Australian Business Numbers.

You cannot stay in the same job beyond six months by using different employment agencies, business affiliates or sub-contracting arrangements.

If you hold a second Working Holiday visa, you may return to work for a further six months for an employer with whom you worked on your first Working Holiday visa."

is this enforced? has anyone here had to leave their job because of the 6 month rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kaka86

im going over on my own ...start of feb ....flying into sydney...just wondering ...anyone know a good hostel...and how do you go about getting work...have WHV but seriously considering stayin for good ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I'm over 30. Is it possible to get a visa at my age?

Mellor wrote: »

I think you are being over-analytical. We all know what the economic definition is, at anyone who watches the news.
    But the OP was using the phrase to get a general feel of the world.

In practical terms, there is no difference (to the man on the street in terms of jobs etc) between a country that had 0.1% growth over two consecutive quarters, and one that had -0.1%
    Yet one is in recession.

I remember the day it was announced Ireland is officially in recession. Was no different to the previous 3 months, (except maybe for the scare mongering aspect, which is another issue)

I was just answering the question with a straightforward answer, bottom line is that Australia is no way the same basket case as Ireland.

lg123 wrote: »
    is this enforced? has anyone here had to leave their job because of the 6 month rule?
    Yes, nearly everyone
    mood wrote: »
    I'm over 30. Is it possible to get a visa at my age?
    if you are under 31 then yes, if over 31, then no working holiday visas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Yes, nearly everyone

if you are under 31 then yes, if over 31, then no working holiday visas

But there are other options surely. I am over 31.

yes skilled migrant, business sponsorship, holiday ....
    any details on what you do might help

mood wrote: »
    But there are other options surely. I am over 31.

Yes these options are open to you

1. Temporary Employer Sponsorship visa 4 Year (Subclass 457) Tricky enough to get a sponsor
    2. Permanent Employer Sponsorship visa (Subclass 121/856) If you have correct skills and then very very lucky to get a sponsor
    3. General Skills Migration (Subclass 175) Easy enough If you have the correct skills but could take 3-4 Years
    4. Marry an Australian Last resort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

I'm just back from Sydney and Melbourne. There were loads of jobs like waitressing, shop work, office work, hotel work and farming.

• Advertisement

I'm just back from Sydney and Melbourne. There were loads of jobs like waitressing, shop work, office work, hotel work and farming.

That’s a bit misleading I had friends who couldn’t find work here in Melbourne and had to go home. Don’t get me wrong there are jobs here just not as easy to find as you’re making out.

Advertisement