Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ledley

Options
  • 10-11-2009 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

Its a travesty. But for the injury he would have been the best CB in the PL and easily an International regular.

However, we have to face facts, how long can we carry Ledley?

Should we cut our losses and let him go now for the benefit of Spurs' long term future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Its a travesty. But for the injury he would have been the best CB in the PL and easily an International regular.

However, we have to face facts, how long can we carry Ledley?

Should we cut our losses and let him go now for the benefit of Spurs' long term future?

i'd like us to show him loyality in some shape or form. i'm sure it would be easier for him to sit on the sidelines and collect his money at the end of each month - instead he gives it his all for the team - perhaps a rest now will do him good with woodgate back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

He should definitely be accommodated somewhere in the setup, perhaps coaching or somewhere. I think his playing days are nearing an end and I hope we've got the resources/talent either in-house or on the way - I'm not so sure of either to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

to be honest i dont even feel that comfortable with him at the back now. there is a huge gulf between him and woodie in my opinion, you can still see that woodie has plenty left in his career but ledley dont

he should most definietly be kept on, possibly as a scout / coach etc

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Certainly a strong case for him to stay on as a defensive coach but as a player it seems more and more that he has become a liability.

Every game he starts now, we're wondering how many minutes will he last before being replaced and then using up a possible valuable substitute position.

I feel big for the man because it must be so frustrating with what he's going through but sympathy aside, the club has to look at the bigger picture.

Does Ledley have a long term future?........No
    Will our team ever have a settled back four with Ledley coming in and out like a yo yo?.........No
    Does he warrant being one of the top paid players at the club?......No, not with all the absence from the team

Sure, people will always point to Paul McGrath as an example but I think Ledley's injury is worse. Even matchday injections don't seem to help. Plus, no disrespect to McGrath but the game is even quicker now and (IMO) more quality of attacking players.

The only other possible scenario I could see, rather than retiring, is to stay on as a 'pay as you play' basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

jaysis lads - maybe sol was right in going to those crowd down the road.

Can't believe were so quick in wanting to get rid of him long term.
    i'd rather have him in the squad than playing against us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

in fairness only for his injury problems we would have lost him ages ago...even barca were lookin for a while...on his day when 100% fit(which was a long time ago)he is in the top 5 center halves in the premiership without doubt.i think lack of training and stuff is stertin to affect him.he would not have normally dived in like he did on fabregas..he would have "eased" him of the ball....would hate to see him leave though....must have a big role to play for us still

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Can't believe were so quick in wanting to get rid of him long term.
    i'd rather have him in the squad than playing against us

Not a case of wanting to get rid of him but just facing up to facts.

He's done amazing to hang in there as long as he has and fair play to Ledley for that but surely you must agree that we can no longer have any reliance on him. There's plenty of players at the club who are 100% fit all the time but never get a look in, even if Ledley is only 60% fit.

It's sad but what would you do if you were paying his wages? (which by the way, we as fans all contribute to in some way).

Advertisement