Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Underfloor working properly.

• 10-11-2009 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I have a gas powered underfloor heating system for a year but I'm not too impressed with it's performance.

I usually set it to come on for 2 hours, which initially used to do the trick for heating but now barely gets the room temp up to 16-18c. Some spots on the floor are warm and others are cold. And it's flying through the gas even though I have a condensing boiler.

I've heard underfloor should be on almost constantly - Is that true? If I tried that I'd be getting a gas tank refill every week I'd say.
    The little flow valves on the manifolds - I've tried tweaking them, to adjust the flow to rooms - to no great effect. They're usually around 0-2 (litres is it?).. I'm not sure what the norm is?

Then I saw that oxyvent system, yer man in kerry was on the telly with it I think, and it claims to improve performance by 50%!

Just looking for some general advice, thoughts - before going to the plumber who I don't think has a clue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055621243

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055632848

2 of many threads on the topics. all of the posts seem to suggest that UFH operates most effectively with a heatpump giving a constant more ambient heat.

2 hours doesn't sound like its long enough for a floor to heat up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

hurlerman wrote: »
    I have a gas powered underfloor heating system for a year but I'm not too impressed with it's performance.

I usually set it to come on for 2 hours, which initially used to do the trick for heating but now barely gets the room temp up to 16-18c. Some spots on the floor are warm and others are cold. And it's flying through the gas even though I have a condensing boiler.

I've heard underfloor should be on almost constantly - Is that true? If I tried that I'd be getting a gas tank refill every week I'd say.
    The little flow valves on the manifolds - I've tried tweaking them, to adjust the flow to rooms - to no great effect. They're usually around 0-2 (litres is it?).. I'm not sure what the norm is?

Then I saw that oxyvent system, yer man in kerry was on the telly with it I think, and it claims to improve performance by 50%!

Just looking for some general advice, thoughts - before going to the plumber who I don't think has a clue.

2 hrs is not long enough.
    when you say tweaking them do you know what the thermostat is set to ?

you have un balanced the system by doing that and now more water is being circulated to one particular area . thats why you are getting hot and cold spots.

Get a plumber in. he will have to re ballance the whole thing. EDIT(if you Have no confidence in your original plumber get another one)

underfloor heating is not the same as rads. and cant be treated the same.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The cold spots might success air in the UFH????

I know ours (was a self install) was full of air and I had to drain it and fill it right :) It made all the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hurlerman

Turns out half the thermostats were connected back to the wrong pipes at the manifold! No wonder the thing was working funny. And worse still the thermostat for the warmest bedroom (1 external wall) was actually controlling the flow for the coldest one (3 external walls).
    I don't trust any plumber or electrician at this stage :)

I've set it on a lot longer to try get the base temperature up but sure that'll probably take a few weeks,

Annoying thing is the thermostats... every time the heating powers off, the thermostats go off, and when it comes back on they revert to their default temp which is 20, so i have to go changing them all the time... (i.e. setting the rooms I dont want to a low temp requirement)

Advertisement