Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice gravel

Options
  • 10-11-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

hi im looking for advice on gravel for the drive and around the house..has anyone advice on what type or recommend any companies...what kind of money are we looking at a tonne? wicklow area...thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

We just recently gravelled the drive around our house in wexford, we used 40 ton of base stone/grit and 40 ton of bronze stone. We got stone locally from Castle stone in Blackwater, we negotiated the base loads @ €500 and the finish stone €2,500 ( 62.50 a ton, initially was €70).
    Took 2 days using 4 men as follows
    1 man and mini digger for 2 days cost €250 + €25 tip
    1 man and dump truck for 2 days cost €250 + €25 tip
    2 men for 2 days cost €600
    and roller/ compressor for 1 day cost €100

sundry material for drainage cost € 60

Total cost €4,310 and a super job to boot ........ at great prices..... only good thing about the recession

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

We used Glenview stone, 1 tonne bags were around €60 I think, and the 1 tonne bags of same colour sand were €40.

Just be prepared for a bit of raking every few weeks, but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

secman wrote: »
    We just recently gravelled the drive around our house in wexford, we used 40 ton of base stone/grit and 40 ton of bronze stone.

secman I'd imagine you covered a considerable area with 40 tonne. Do you know of the top of your head the approximate area or what area you could expect to cover per tonne. Also did you put a membrane down to help prevent weeds shooting up?

Its a job I intend doing early next year. There is the rough self binding gravel down at the moment but the weeds are an absolute nighmare. Undecided between gravel and tarmac. I do think the gravel is much much nicer than the highly manufactured look of tarmac. However, there is a bit of a slope and considerable traffic which is putting me of the gravel a wee bit. Also I suppose gravel might not be the best idea with timber floors and in particular if there are small kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

secman wrote: »
    We just recently gravelled the drive around our house in wexford, we used 40 ton of base stone/grit and 40 ton of bronze stone. We got stone locally from Castle stone in Blackwater, we negotiated the base loads @ €500 and the finish stone €2,500 ( 62.50 a ton, initially was €70).
    Took 2 days using 4 men as follows
    1 man and mini digger for 2 days cost €250 + €25 tip
    1 man and dump truck for 2 days cost €250 + €25 tip
    2 men for 2 days cost €600
    and roller/ compressor for 1 day cost €100

sundry material for drainage cost € 60

Total cost €4,310 and a super job to boot ........ at great prices..... only good thing about the recession

Secman

I would be very surprised if any legitimate contractor could offer or indeed sustain these rates of pay and material costs. There's nothing good in promoting poor practice, recession or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

hmmm im gonna have to do some sums....long enough driveway maybe 80 meters and 7-10 mts wide plus round the house which has a drive down one side and has a large area at the front and one at the back...looking like im gonna need some serious tonnage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

I would be very surprised if any legitimate contractor could offer or indeed sustain these rates of pay and material costs. There's nothing good in promoting poor practice, recession or not.

im sorry where is the bad practice????????if a contractor needs to give these prices than thats his business especially if that means he keeps food on his table and keeps some ppl employed...most business ppl wll have reduced their prices to get work

Advertisement