Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin or Tom Tom

Options
  • 10-11-2009 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was looking to get a new Sat Nav for Christmas but I'm sort of out of the loop in relation to which ones are best for Ireland

I currently use an old Airis T920 with updated maps to Route 66 Q3 2008. However I find the route planning to be a bit crazy (I was in Galway recently and was brought on roads with grass on them) The old Route 66 Q2 2006 (I think) maps that came with the T920 always seemed spot on for the most logical routes.

I know Garmin use the Navteq maps the same as Route 66 ones but I was just wondering how there route planning stacks up? (I know you have to set fastest route not shortest route to avoid crazy roads)

I have heard bad things about them in the UK (they seem to automatically avoid motorways despite that setting being unchecked)

So I was wondering what experience people have had here with them?

Also can Garmin Sat Nav's be unlocked to add other sat nav maps (which I have already bought)? I was able to unlock my old Airis sat nav to put 3rd party maps on it.

Also I read old threads on here about Tom Tom Teleatlas mapping not being as good in rural areas as the Navteq maps... Is this still the case or have the maps gotten better? This is very important as I live in a relatively rural area.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It's still the case, and Navteq handles townlands better.

Your old Route 66 probably didn't have any of the rural roads whereas the later version probably did. I see you know not to use shortest route, some programs do seem to have eccentric routing, I use a custom profile with mine to get sensible routes.

Garmin will I think only accept their own mapping for guidance. The various Sat Nav suppliers buy the mapping from Navteq or TeleAtlas but each handles it differently. I use a Mio PDA with built in GPS so I can run different mapping applications (CoPilot 8, Memory Map and Ozi Explorer)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

thanks for the reply.

My old Route 66 mapping for the Airis T920 did actually have townslands... For instance I could just enter my townsland in my village and it would know exactly where it was.

But sadly the new maps married to the new Route 66 software gives very eccentric routing despite a very good interface and detailed mapping.

I wouldn't be too unhappy if I couldn't unlock the Garmin if their mapping and guidance was acceptable. To be fair I can't see many new roads being built so updates shouldn't be such a big deal.

I own a HTC Touch Diamond which I have Route 66, Tom Tom and Destinator maps on but I want a dedicated Sat Nav as my phone can't handle taking calls when using it as a Sat Nav due to RAM issues.

Advertisement