Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Trinity

Options
  • 10-11-2009 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has completed or is currently doing the Masters in Biodiversity and Conservation at Trinity? If so, what is it like?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'm doing the MSc in Environmental Science there but I know a few doing the course. It's pretty good, it's heavy on the ecology side of things and there's a ton of shit to do for the first month, you'll be really busy with assignments etc... but it's a decent course, fairly comprehensive and the lecturers for it are pretty good. You'll also get to go on a 10 day foreign field trip to Uganda or some place in Africa for 2 or 3 grand so that's pretty cool (the furthest we've gone in our masters is Wicklow!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lbrophy09

Hi there!
    So you're doing the Environmental Masters? I'm applying for it at the moment - a tiny bit apprehensive that it's not quite suitable for anyone with a degree in Environmental Science, any thoughts?
    I just can't find anything else in Ireland in the line of a masters in the environmental field and the modules look really interesting. Not a lot of overlap between my undergrad modules either. Is there anyone on the course with you who already has a degree like mine?
    Cheers

Lbrophy09 wrote: »
    Hi there!
    So you're doing the Environmental Masters? I'm applying for it at the moment - a tiny bit apprehensive that it's not quite suitable for anyone with a degree in Environmental Science, any thoughts?
    I just can't find anything else in Ireland in the line of a masters in the environmental field and the modules look really interesting. Not a lot of overlap between my undergrad modules either. Is there anyone on the course with you who already has a degree like mine?
    Cheers

Well I did a BA in Geography in UCD, two others did BA's in Geography with either History or Italian. If you've done a BSc in Environmental Science, then you'll fly it. It's a great course, very intensive though, you will be working hard. There's two people who did environmental management in DIT and another did environmental science and health in DCU that's the closest I can think, but they're still learning like the rest of us. I'd apply for it because you'll have something to offer the mix, because that's what it is, it's a mix of different disciplines and we all work together to get stuff done, we've token chemist, geologist, engineer, etc... so it's a good way of getting used to the professional world!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Meeep

Hi El Siglo,

I am due to start the masters in environmental science in trinity this September.

What should I be expecting? What are the modules like, many assignments?

Meeep wrote: »
    Hi El Siglo,

I am due to start the masters in environmental science in trinity this September.

What should I be expecting? What are the modules like, many assignments?

It's a tough course, the first semester isn't too bad but it picks up proper after Christmas.

My suggestions would be:

- Get good at R, download it now, buy Crawley's book (you'll have to anyway) and get used to the programme;

- Get used to GIS (ArcGIS), you won't use it a whole lot during the taught stuff but it'll be handy to know how to use for thesis time;

- Get used to chemistry and environmental chemical analysis, a lot of the course was this;

- Buy a pair of waders, hiking books, a rain jacket, a lab coat, and a calculator.

It's a good course and the lecturers and technicians are sound out so they are. Some times you'll be busy, some times not. What I would say is attend as much of the lectures as possible, they're invaluable. Some, you'll get away with not attending, but for the ones where you're with your own class and the stats module, attend everything because they're important.

All in all, it's a good course, pm me for any specifics and I'll gladly answer them.:)

Here, you might want to support the forum I'm starting as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NeuroticMonkey

Probably the wrong place to post this but has anyone on here done the MSc. in Molecular Medicine in Trinity? I'm wondering if anyone would be able to give me a quick rundown of is merits and failings. I'm coming from a pretty specific degree (Neuroscience) and want to do a PhD but not entirely sure of my area yet and was hoping for another qualification that would open doors to the scope of areas i'd then be more "qualified" to apply to....(sorry if that makes no sense!!).

Mainly I'm wondering about the hands-on aspect of the course and if it is relevant to industry.

Any info appreciated, cheers.
    :D

Advertisement