Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment / leak / insurance

Options
  • 10-11-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Dear all,

I own a flat which is let out. I got a call from the landlord in the flat below to say that there is damage to the ceiling in one of their rooms due to a leak in my apartment.

My question is, is this my liability when I am only being notified now and should have been notified when there was less damage (their apartment is empty).

Also does anyone know if such expense is covered by the block insurance. I don’t have insurance myself as I was told I could only get contents insurance and contents only includes anything that you could physically remove from the apartment.

Therefore, if contents would cover such a claim, would it be covered by the block insurance?

Would welcome your comments and assistance (cos I don’t have the money to fix this!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

What was the source of the leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

what was the cause of the leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Since you own the apt, you are liable.

Block Insurance will only cover so much, and may not cover something like this. The unit below should have contents insurance to cover their losses.

But, it is your responsibility to repair any leak and prevent further damage to the unit below. You may also be liable for the cost of repair of their unit.

Advertisement