Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better : Being fired or leaving?

Options
  • 10-11-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unreg for this, sorry.

I believe I will be put in an untenable position this afternoon. I don't want to devulge any details, for various reasons.

All things considered, which is better : Being fired or quitting my job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Getting fired may mean better financial deal. Leaving might mean better reference plus you wouldn't have t lie to new employer about why you left last job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Leaving means no redundancy (unless the company decides to throw one in) if you're there for more then 2 years and up to 9 weeks wait for job allowance.

Being fired or being let go are two very much different things; if you are fired it would imply incompetence/disciplinary action where as being let go would be surplus of staff. Either way you'll need to explain to your new employee why you left and if it is the first there is always a risk that they will mention it (which is legal before someone says you can't get a bad reference).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

As said, it depends on whether you are being fired or being let go.

I had to go thrugh the disciplinary process recently on the management side and in the end the person's employment was terminated. The HR Manager said during the prcess (only to me, of course!) that if you know you are going to be let go for performance reasons then you should resign first. That way you weren't fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I believe I will be put in an untenable position this afternoon. I don't want to devulge any details, for various reasons.

It depends on the untenable position.
    If its an ethical or moral situation, stick to your guns and let them fire you.
    If its a case of you not being able to / willing to do something that is a direct part of your job then better to quit than have it as the official reason you were fired.

It also depends on your financial situation and how you rate your chances of getting another job quickly. As the others said, to quit means no redundancy, no severance pay and no dole for 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Going unreg for this, sorry.

Unless your getting fired "for cause", it's better to be fired, easier to make a case for unfair dismissal or redundancy if applicable.

If you quit, you might be be able to claim sw benefit for up to 9 weeks.

I assume there is no union? Can you join one today ?

If you want to delay/postpone this "untenable position", ask to postpone the afternoon meeting while you take legal advice or to have an independent witness present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement