Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Lapwings

• 10-11-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

I live in the Donadea area. On Friday I saw 5 Lapwings fly past the house and I recorded this for the atlas survey.

This morning I think I saw about 150 - 200 of these birds flying in close formation past the house. Now, I say think because I was a bit shocked at the sight. They had the usual distinctive flight pattern with the white underparts.

Is this likely in these parts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If Donadea is in Kildare, as I suspect, then a flock of a couple of hundred at this time of year would not be uncommon. In winter they flock on pasture and ploughed fields.

Edit: I haven't heard them called Northern lapwings in years!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Kildare it is.

I thought I had seen them last year way off in the distance with my bins. Am delighted to be able to confirm.

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I have often observed them in the bog land around Ballinafagh; not too far from Donadea :)! I also spotted a large flock this week out near the airport.

By the way, Donadea was a favourite spot of mine for many years. A great place for the wee birds in winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Ballinafagh is like an oasis. A lovely place. I live quite close to it and was unaware of it for some time before I stumbled on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

E39MSport wrote: »
    Ballinafagh is like an oasis. A lovely place. I live quite close to it and was unaware of it for some time before I stumbled on it.

I PM'd you a bit of info you may find interesting ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement