Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not In Union, What are options for November 24th

Options
  • 10-11-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Two Relatives are working in a County Coucil when the vast majoriy of staff are in the union.They are not members of a union and are very anxious about the upcoming day of protest.

What are their options for the 24th of November? Earlier this year when staff held a strike and members crossed the picket line, they were abused and their cars were attacked. As result, they are very anxious about going to work on this day. Other staff members have warned them that they should not cross the picket line while a strike is on. As they are not in the union they are expected to attend work.

Both applied to take annual leave for this day to avoid this stressful situation but were refused, A memo was e-mailed and staff were advised that nobody was allowed to take a holiday for this day as a show of support for Public sector workers.

Any advise apreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

I am in same boat.

Not in the Union and have very little time for it at the moment.

I have applied for leave for 24th but have not been given an answer yet. The union that (would) represent me hasn't finalised its ballot yet so I am hoping I get granted annual leave before the decision to strike is made.

Last time out, I didn't show up for work and was docked a days pay. I really can't afford that this time around.

All but one other of the employees in my division (41 staff) are in the union :(:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I actually am in the Union, I joined mainly to avoid just such a situation. But now I feel I cannot join strike action as I do not support the Unions basis for it, and am unsure what action to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I sympathise but as laid out there are really only a few options

1. stay away and sacrifice a days pay (it cant really be that much after all)

2. cross a picket, get paid but face the sort of thing mentioned above, however unfortunate, it is likely to happen

It really depends where you are working, level of union membership and likely mood of pickets really.

I do have to say if I was actually in the union that is striking I would not consider crossing a picket but thats just me. I'd rather just stay away and keep the head down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Riskymove wrote: »

I do have to say if I was actually in the union that is striking I would not consider crossing a picket but thats just me. I'd rather just stay away and keep the head down.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Tbh, I don't think strikes will get us anywhere. Work wil build up on my desk lol

I can understand the Union fighting to get us the 'best deal' so to speak (or more to the point the less crappy deal) but going after the National Wage Agreement I can't agree with, and parts of their 10 point plan are well a bit crap.

Still, it's two weeks away so will see what happens in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Unfortunately too many union members who genuinely realise we're up sh!t creek are keeping the head down. The likes of McCloone and Begg etc. are the irish equivalents of the Duke of York! leading their members on a hiding to nothing. The PS workers with private sector spouses/family know all too well what it means to have a secure job and know a 10% pay cut now is far more preferable to the alternative in a year or two.

• Advertisement

dearg lady wrote: »
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Tbh, I don't think strikes will get us anywhere. Work wil build up on my desk lol

Still, it's two weeks away so will see what happens in the meantime.

I think thats what a lot of public servants are thinking too and hoping it wont come to a strike, certainly I have heard some things are progressing in the talks.

I have to consider all these things as my union is balloting; to be honest while I might prefer a No vote, I think it would be more of a nightmare personally if most of the staff were out on ballot and I was not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

How about ringing in sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

As a former civil servant I can see both sides in this. However, I would have to say that the best thing the cpsu membership can do in this situation would be to take a step back and postpone any action the union ballots for. Package it as a move for solidarity for those in the private sector who have a less certain future and it will lead to better copy in the media.It will also deflect from the ramblings from out of touch union leadership.
    More generic than your request,I know,but something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I_am_Jebus wrote: »
    Last time out, I didn't show up for work and was docked a days pay. I really can't afford that this time around.
    Docked a day, or just lost out on the day you didn't work? Not sure what you mean, I hope you mean the latter, cause the first would suck.

Well, if you can't not go into work, sounds like you've answered your own question.
    Firetrap wrote: »
    Well, depends if he can do it uncertified or not... Plus, if he can't afford to lose even the one days pay, even if he had uncertified sick days, it's not much good.

OP, you have my every sympathy. I'm private sector myself, but have had a fair few chats with various public sector and taxi people who've been mortified over the stances the various representative bodies and unions have been taking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I imagine you'll need a sick cert. Pretty sure that's what happened last time when the CPSU went on strike - if you were out "sick" you'd well need a doctor's cert to prove it wasn't merely a sympathetic sickness. The same rules could apply again, depending on your department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

ok i don't mean this as a smartarse answer, but how about you get in really really early, before the strikers turn up? it's what i'd do. at least you won't cross any line.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's a bit sad that a rabbling crowd can keep someone from working. While the right to strike is enshrined, the right to work, when you disagree with, or not a member of the strikers, should be similarly enshrined, and those who cause trouble for them should be ejected from the union/strikers.

Me, personally, I'd carry a few eggs with me in case anyone decided to cross me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

782378 wrote: »
    Two Relatives are working in a County Coucil when the vast majoriy of staff are in the union.They are not members of a union and are very anxious about the upcoming day of protest.

What are their options for the 24th of November? Earlier this year when staff held a strike and members crossed the picket line, they were abused and their cars were attacked. As result, they are very anxious about going to work on this day. Other staff members have warned them that they should not cross the picket line while a strike is on. As they are not in the union they are expected to attend work.

Both applied to take annual leave for this day to avoid this stressful situation but were refused, A memo was e-mailed and staff were advised that nobody was allowed to take a holiday for this day as a show of support for Public sector workers.

Any advise apreciated?

who was responsible for the memo going round? thats bizarre that you are effectively being aligned with the trade unions whether you like it or not.

bamboozle wrote: »
    who was responsible for the memo going round? thats bizarre that you are effectively being aligned with the trade unions whether you like it or not.

this is standard practice for industrial action

it means you cannot avoid a strike (whether in union or not) by taking casual leave. If you had a longstanding arrangment (e.g. a holiday booked) it may be allowed.

if you are not in a union that is on strike, you are expected to go to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Enough people done that last Friday ;)

The country borrowed 70 million euro that day , the same as every other day of the week, to keep those it pays as well paid as it does. Thats a fact. Our children and grandchildren can pay it back in time, plus interest.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

jimmmy wrote: »

How many is that then? Have you got a link to prove this, or is another one of those "facts" you pull from thin air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

Loads in my workplace have just joined the union this week to cover themselves. I'm still undecided though - we're understaffed and overworked enough as it is as a result of cutbacks....honestly the idea of having to make up that day's work (inevitable!) just stresses me more if anything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

(

Can you support that? I know of non-union PS workers who on Friday took annual leave or flexi, but none who took sick (who weren't)

Absurdum wrote: »
    How many is that then?

Only the public service would know that, and that is a figure I bet they will not release. However, we do know the absenteeism rate due to sick days in the p.s. : we do know approximately how many employees are in the p.s. ( although not exactly how many were to work last Friday if they were not sick;) ). Statistics from the civil service ( Monday to Friday workers ) on another thread , courtesy of another poster, show that Monday are almost three times more popular than Fridays for sickies, but will the p.s. ever let people know how many last Friday out of its 350,000 took a sickie ? T'would be interesting.;)

Now back to the thread : as firetrap suggests for the 24th :
    "How about ringing in sick?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Only the public service would know that, and that is a figure I bet they will not release.

So in other words, you have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Can you support that? I know of non-union PS workers who on Friday took annual leave or flexi, but none who took sick (who weren't)

I think the difference was Friday wasnt a strike, it was a day of protest. I know it sounds the same but they arent.

Absurdum wrote: »
    So in other words, you have no idea.
    Given sick rates in the public service ( http://www.independent.ie/national-n...r-1922474.html ), and the number of employees in the public service, there would be an average of 10,500 paid sick days taken every day 365 days a year in the public service. If last Friday is more or less than this only the p.s. know at this stage, and like their allowances I think they are not in a rush to divulge this information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Given sick rates in the public service ( http://www.independent.ie/national-n...r-1922474.html ), and the number of employees in the public service, there would be an average of 10,500 paid sick days taken every day 365 days a year in the public service. If last Friday is more or less than this only the p.s. know at this stage, and like their allowances I think they are not in a rush to divulge this information.

Just say "No I can't"

Go on, you know you want to.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Just say "No I can't"

Go on, you know you want to.

No I can't be one of the 10,500 public service people paid full pay every day because they are too sick to work . Happy now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

bamboozle wrote: »

Any responsible employer anticipating that most of their staff would be out on a particular day would refuse leave to the remaining staff (unless you happen to be in an employment where it didn't really matter if the work got done or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

dvpower wrote: »
    Any responsible employer anticipating that most of their staff would be out on a particular day would refuse leave to the remaining staff (unless you happen to be in an employment where it didn't really matter if the work got done or not).

Yes its standard practice to refuse leave.

Op your relatives should not be subjected to any harassment as they come and go from work. I am dubious of your claim that there was trouble last time particularly when it was just one Union that we out on strike and other union member were instructed by ICTU to cross the picket.

If your relative want to go in than they should go in. Any harassment can be reported next day to their boss. Disciplinary action would be the likely outcome. However I suspect no one will day boo to them,

By the considered no one else will be in, I doubt there will be much work they can do on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

782378 wrote: »

Any advise apreciated?

We really need the police to bust the heads of union bullies. I ****ing hate the unions. What Ireland needs is a Margaret Thatcher who can crush the unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I'd say crossing a picket line could be dangerous. You will be labelled a scab by an angry mob and have those people going around telling everyone you're a scab for crossing the picket line, a label that could potentially live with you a long time after the strike. Depending on the type of people striking you could also be met with verbal and/or physical intimidation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikebreaker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Don't suppose there would be any point in them having a chat with a union rep where they're working?

Advertisement