Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not In Union, What are options for November 24th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I'd say crossing a picket line could be dangerous. You will be labelled a scab by an angry mob and have those people going around telling everyone you're a scab for crossing the picket line, a label that could potentially live with you a long time after the strike. Depending on the type of people striking you could also be met with verbal and/or physical intimidation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikebreaker

Wow Scaremonger much?

I worked during the recent CSPU stike. I crossed the picket line. I was a member of another Union. There was no problem whatsoever and ICTU directed us to do so.

Have you much personal experience of cross picket lines in Ireland?

By the way, strikebreaking is really only when some does the work of a striking colleague. Its a big no-no in industrial relations but is easily avoided in a office situation where 90% of staff will not be working anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

782378 wrote: »
    Two Relatives are working in a County Coucil when the vast majoriy of staff are in the union.They are not members of a union and are very anxious about the upcoming day of protest.

What are their options for the 24th of November? Earlier this year when staff held a strike and members crossed the picket line, they were abused and their cars were attacked. As result, they are very anxious about going to work on this day. Other staff members have warned them that they should not cross the picket line while a strike is on. As they are not in the union they are expected to attend work.

Both applied to take annual leave for this day to avoid this stressful situation but were refused, A memo was e-mailed and staff were advised that nobody was allowed to take a holiday for this day as a show of support for Public sector workers.

Any advise apreciated?

Maybe they could join the union?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I'd say crossing a picket line could be dangerous. You will be labelled a scab by an angry mob and have those people going around telling everyone you're a scab for crossing the picket line, a label that could potentially live with you a long time after the strike. Depending on the type of people striking you could also be met with verbal and/or physical intimidation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikebreaker

All the more reason to stand up to the union bullies. You will have more respect from most people as a result.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Wow Scaremonger much?

I worked during the recent CSPU stike. I crossed the picket line. I was a member of another Union. There was no problem whatsoever and ICTU directed us to do so.

Have you much personal experience of cross picket lines in Ireland?

By the way, strikebreaking is really only when some does the work of a striking colleague. Its a big no-no in industrial relations but is easily avoided in a office situation where 90% of staff will not be working anyways.
    I don't personally have experience, but my father was a worker in Waterford Crystal when they went on strike in the early 90's and even though I was only a child I remember a lot of talk about people who broke the picket. There was a fella living in our neighbourhood who was in senior management and he broke the picket, fella was just hated afterwards, referred to as a scab for a while.

Then there's the taxis; a driver has a run-in with a Garda during peak time on a Saturday night, some mad head of the local taxi drivers union decides to call a strike immediately and the word was flying out that any drivers who kept working were scabs. Of course these are just a couple of extreme examples so it might not be as bad elsewhere.

The way I see it is that people have a right to strike, but those on strike should observe the right of people who choose to cross the picket. An exception to this would be when every single worker in a company goes on strike and new workers come in and cross the picket, do the work and get paid (is that still legal?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

What is the situation for non members of a Union striking on 24th November? I would assume this is not possible but I may be wrong.

Anyone throw any light on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ditchhurler

hawker wrote: »
    What is the situation for non members of a Union striking on 24th November? I would assume this is not possible but I may be wrong.

Anyone throw any light on it?
    Many non- members of unions will not pass pickets anyway, and will simply be docked a day's pay by their employers. Not all teachers are members of ASTI . TUI etc, but I doubt if very many of them would pass a picket - much too much frostiness to look forward to in the staff canteen the next day.

Thanks ditchhurler.

So I'm assuming that non-union members cannot be disciplined for not turning into work that day. They basically are just docked a days pay. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ditchhurler

hawker wrote: »
    Thanks ditchhurler.

So I'm assuming that non-union members cannot be disciplined for not turning into work that day. They basically are just docked a days pay. Is that right?
    Normally the employer would issue a circular/memo/e.mail to the effect that one day's pay and service entitlement would be lost for those absenting themselves from work on the day in question, unless employees sign in, or are on certified sick leave - this notification would be issued to all employees not just those in the union.

Normally the employer would issue a circular/memo/e.mail to the effect that one day's pay and service entitlement would be lost for those absenting themselves from work on the day in question, unless employees sign in, or are on certified sick leave - this notification would be issued to all employees not just those in the union.

Cheers ditchhurler.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

im on this boat too, im not in the union, dont want to strike and cant afford to not turn up as im on contract till January. what do i do.........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kceire wrote: »
    im on this boat too, im not in the union, dont want to strike and cant afford to not turn up as im on contract till January. what do i do.........
    You have three options:

1) You walk past the picket line as is your legal right (this assumes the building is not locked out obviously) and hope it is recognised once the contract is up.

2) You say **** it and pander to the union by not showing up and end up playing after their whistle with out the benefits (best type of workers for a union; you do as they want but they don't have to protect you).

3) You get a 50 EUR cert doctor to sign you out for a few days but I'd say that would cost you more money over all and tie in with point 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Senwood

PEOPLE ITS VERY SIMPLE. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO PAY SUBSCRIPTIONS TO A UNION WITHIN YOUR WORKPLACE - YOU ARE NOT A MEMBER AND THEREFORE YOU ARE AWARE THAT IF THERE IS A STRIKE YOU WILL BE WORKING AS NORMAL ON THAT DAY - THERE IS NO CHANGE FOR YOU ON THE DAY. YOU WILL STILL BE PAID FOR YOUR DAYS WORK. NOT JOINING A UNION WITHIN AN ORGANISATION AS LARGE AS THE PUBLIC SECTOR IS REALLY TAKING A STAND FOR YOURSELF SO YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES OF WALKING PAST YOUR WORKMATES TWICE THAT DAY. THERE IS NO POINT MAKING A STAND & THEN STAYING AT HOME BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO PASS A PICKET!

IF YOU ARE ABUSED CROSSING A PICKET LINE (WHICH IS HIGLY UNLIKELY - IT IS FROWN UPON BY UNION OFFICIALS AND THEY HAVE ISSUED CORRESPONDENCE TO THEIR MEMBERS HIGHLIGHTING THIS) THEN WRITE A LETTER OF COMPLAINT TO (A) YOUR MANAGER AND COPY TO THE UNION OFFICIAL RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WORKPLACE AND SECURITY PERSONNEL WITHIN YOUR WORKPLACE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

WHAT????? SORRY I CANT HEAR YOU SENWOOD, YOU'RE GOING TO NEED TO SHOUT LOUDER TO GET YOUR POINT ACCROSS. THANK YOU!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

kceire wrote: »

Talk to your supervisor and ask them what is expected of you on the 24th. If you are expected to turn up to work then walk past the picket. If anyone gives you crap about it tell them that you can't afford to be docked a day's pay and don't have a choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Senwood wrote: »
    IF YOU ARE ABUSED CROSSING A PICKET LINE (WHICH IS HIGLY UNLIKELY - IT IS FROWN UPON BY UNION OFFICIALS AND THEY HAVE ISSUED CORRESPONDENCE TO THEIR MEMBERS HIGHLIGHTING THIS) THEN WRITE A LETTER OF COMPLAINT TO (A) YOUR MANAGER AND COPY TO THE UNION OFFICIAL RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WORKPLACE AND SECURITY PERSONNEL WITHIN YOUR WORKPLACE.
    What if your manager is the school principal, who is also out on strike?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I am in the same boat. I am not a member of the PSEU but they will be striking next week. Last time the CPSU were on strike I came in before 8am and left after 7pm. I didnt go out for lunch so even though I was in work I didnt pass any picket.

This time around however I reckon I will be one of only 3 other people not in a union as all the unions in my place are striking. I can come in before 8 and leave after 7 but it is going to be a long long day as I will not be able to do any work as the people I deal with will be outside picketing.

I cant take annual leave, I can however take unpaid leave. I dont want to do this as to be honest I cant afford it at the moment but I think I will have no choice as I honestly think I will crack up if I an in this office for 11+ hours with nobody around and all my work piling up cos I cant get it done.

DAMO, MATURE RESPONSE, GOOD ARGUMENT, WELL DONE! BY THE WAY YOU FORGOT THE "NA NA NA NA NAH" AT THE END.

murphaph wrote: »
    What if your manager is the school principal, who is also out on strike?!

I DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU'RE COMING FROM WITH THIS QUESTION? HE WILL BE ON STRIKE ON THE 24TH BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN INSTRUCTED TO DO SO BY HIS UNION BECAUSE OF A MAJORITY BALLOT. ON THE 25TH NOV HE IS STILL THE SCHOOL PRINCIPAL AND SHOULD THEREFORE BEHAVE AND DEAL WITH ANY COMPLAINTS/GRIEVANCES IN A TOTALLY PROFESSIONAL AND NON-BIASED MANNER.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

DAMO, MATURE RESPONSE, GOOD ARGUMENT, WELL DONE! BY THE WAY YOU FORGOT THE "NA NA NA NA NAH" AT THE END.

If you're unaware that your Caps Lock key is on, you now know it. Turn it off, or I'll delete your posts.

Thanks.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Go into work early to avoid the picket line. I know a few guys in the company I used to work in who were not unionised. They came into work 2 hours before their shift was due to start just to avoid the picket and it seemed to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Solution: Go to work, as people in the real world will have to do that day!

akaredtop wrote: »
    Solution: Go to work, as people in the real world will have to do that day!

What if you building is locked up though as the service officers are on strike? That is another option I have to consider next week as even if I plan to get in before people start striking the building may not be open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Lots of colleagues at work are applying for union membership only this week! Will they still be entitled able to strike or will they have to work as normal until they start paying union subs? Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

To those thinking of 'crossing the ranks' bear in mind that at hospitals etc, its a 24 hour strike, so will be on from midnight. Since I'm not in a union I'll be working as normal, and was thinking of coming in early to get less hassle at the gates. But a 24 hour strike, thats it, theres no way of coming in early to skip it.

I guess my excuse can be "Let me park the car inside and I'll come join the picket lines".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU'RE COMING FROM WITH THIS QUESTION? HE WILL BE ON STRIKE ON THE 24TH BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN INSTRUCTED TO DO SO BY HIS UNION BECAUSE OF A MAJORITY BALLOT. ON THE 25TH NOV HE IS STILL THE SCHOOL PRINCIPAL AND SHOULD THEREFORE BEHAVE AND DEAL WITH ANY COMPLAINTS/GRIEVANCES IN A TOTALLY PROFESSIONAL AND NON-BIASED MANNER.
    But he/she won't. Will the temp teacher who toed the union line and stayed away get that permanent position or will the one who crossed the picket get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

GAZZER

you can still apply for annual leave up until the PSEU..( being your union, if you were to join a union ) announces the strike.
    so put in your leave request 2moro morning

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    GAZZER

you can still apply for annual leave up until the PSEU..( being your union, if you were to join a union ) announces the strike.

A memo went around to all the bosses to tell them NOT to approve any annual leave requests so I cant apply for the day off unfortunately. The same thing happened when the CPSU went on strike earlier in the year. Nobody was allowed take annual leave.. even if you were not a CPSU member.

Can non-union workers legally refuse to cross a picket line? Would they not be liable to disciplinary procedure should they not turn up for work.

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    GAZZER

The PSEU served strike notice (provisionally dependant upon the ballot) a week ago. Its too late now.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    3) You get a 50 EUR cert doctor to sign you out for a few days but I'd say that would cost you more money over all and tie in with point 2.

Under no circumstance would a GP issue a sick note to a person who was simply looking for a day off to avoid a picket. They could face disciplinary action from the Medical Council if they signed a sick note for a perfectly health person.

It is also highly dishonest as a employee to fain illness. Falsely claiming sick leave is one of the most serious discipline breaches in the workplace.

Advertisement