Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does size matter?

• 10-11-2009 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

My license doesn't mature for another while yet, but I thought I'd ask while the question is fresh in my mind : Of course on the day that I no longer have to suffer that ridiculous restriction on my license, I'm going to go out and buy a bigger bike, but will my ability to filter through traffic be restricted if I get one that's too big?

My first thoughts were of getting a 600. I though that'd have enough guts to make the motorway less of a chore while still being able to get through pretty much the same gaps in traffic as the 250. Then I realised that I spend most of my time on the motorway so I might as well get something 1000cc or bigger that'll cruise easier. Can any of you more experienced bikers tell me how often you've been unable to filter through traffic because your bike was too big? I'm specifically thinking of the narrow streets of Cork here...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Actually I think most sports bikes are quite narrow with clip on bars compared to wide straights bars on street bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I'm on an R1100s with sticking out piston heads and I've never had a problem filtering on the bike. I get through the same size gaps as the old 250cc bike. The handlebars are normally the widest part of the bike so once these fit you'll get through. Riding position probably has as much to do with getting through the gaps. A sports bike is good for high speed stuff but can be a bit of a pain at low speed maneuvers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

But then again, some of the taller bikes' bars + mirrors are higher then car's mirrors so can squeeze by them easier... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I love the big engine (SV 1000). It is so lazy, and forgiving and it really takes a lot of the effort of driving away.

Not the excitement, but for the morning commute or the blast around the mountains, it means you can get away with not being in the "correct" gear in the same way as you have to do on a smaller bike.

Put it this way, in 6th gear at 2500rpm I can do 55kmph and within 10 seconds and not changing any gear I can be at motorway speeds. Obviously, if I change gears I can do this quicker, but I just use this to illustrate the point.

There does not appear to be much sacrifice for fuel in the "extra" 400cc as I get in or around 55mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

My first thoughts were of getting a 600. I though that'd have enough guts to make the motorway less of a chore while still being able to get through pretty much the same gaps in traffic as the 250. Then I realised that I spend most of my time on the motorway so I might as well get something 1000cc or bigger that'll cruise easier. Can any of you more experienced bikers tell me how often you've been unable to filter through traffic because your bike was too big? I'm specifically thinking of the narrow streets of Cork here...

I'd a fazer 600 for 5 years running a 30 mile round trip commute through built up areas. I moved up to a fazer1000 when the 600 got old and the comute changed to follow the leader motorway riding.

At 5'6" the 600 was the perfect tool for virtually all work - it could compete with bicycles for the gaps in town, was flickable enough to work through the faster dualcarraigeway work and had enough oomph to take on monotonous motorway miles. The 1000 is a bit of a lump in comparison: smoother and more stable on the motorway sections but not at all as pleasant to work with around town/busy dual carraigeways.

Overall width is a relatively minor issue for a bike - unless you're planning on getting a wide barred chopper. It's the extra weight (carried higher up in the case of the fazer) which makes threading the bike through obstacles more of a chore. That said, stepping back onto the 600 after a few weeks on the thou showed up the difference in engine compartment. It's not that the 600 lacks power, it's just lacks that 1000cc twist and go 'oomph'.

If motorway work forms the vast bulk of your riding then a bigger engine is the way to go. If, on the other hand, you plan on having to work through any significant level of traffic traffic then a 600 would probably prove the ideal all rounder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

600 Fazer ftw, i've noticed little difference from my first 125 ybr when filtering, which is a small enough bike, i'm on a restricted fazer, and on motorways i find myself gunning it to go as fast a possible, usually 80-90mph (140kph) sometimes i get up to the limit, 95mph depending on wind. So i can zip in and around slower moving traffic no bother. Although my daily commute is quite short, lucan to ITB in blanchardstown, i still get a large amount of filtering in, as the N2 road works are a bi*ch (via the M50) on a good day i managed 12 minutes, from house to college, speed limits not included.
    Back to the fazer, it's great. If i could legally get the restricter off tomorrow i would, as the bike is great fun to ride, although when i brake too hard with g/f on the back, she slides forward crushin me balls against the fuel tank (prob a common issue on bikes?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Xios wrote: »
    Back to the fazer, it's great. If i could legally get the restricter off tomorrow i would, as the bike is great fun to ride, although when i brake too hard with g/f on the back, she slides forward crushin me balls against the fuel tank (prob a common issue on bikes?)

Grip the tank with your legs when breaking. also get her to watch out for when you might brake and brace herself accordingly(I.e. hold tight on the passenger handles).

<on topic> as far as size goes, unless the bike your looking at is wider in engine then a standard set of handlebars it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

250 to 1000 is a pretty big jump.
    600cc street bike will more than entertain you for a good while.
    Enough poke for motorway riding and light enough to be flickable in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I was wondering about this myself, I'm about the same age as the OP and I'm using a Suzuki Marauder 250cc. I'll be honest, I've been told that the bike is perfectly legal to use by the lads at CB in Cork. Is this true?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Xios wrote: »

get a few bungee cords and strap her down :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm about the same age as the OP

? What age am I then?

Not sure what you're asking either - do you mean is the Marauder a learner leagal 'A' bike? Without being positive I'd say it's well under the restriction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

~20bhp afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

I don't think engine size is the complete issue, it's the trim, IE, side bags / panniers, wing mirror projection... I found the bigger bikes a lot safer than smaller ones, the road holding, braking and stability offset the small increase in profile...

PS, Stop polishing the seat to save the undercarriage...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Sorry, I could have sworn the author posted his age. I'm 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Had a near miss last week because of this.... and my own stupidity. Left a CBR600 go past me and was 10 yards behind him we we got to traffic and started filtering. I barely squeezed through a gap between a bus and an X5 then looked up to see the 600 couldn't get through the gap between the next car and the bus and had stopped. Bit of a :eek: moment but despite the wet road, yanking on the brakes stopped me in time. What kind of twat would I have looked like smacking right into the back of his bike.... :o
    RichieO wrote: »
    PS, Stop polishing the seat to save the undercarriage...

That could have saved me a bit of a bump that day too....

Advertisement