Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO Any Shop Owner

Options
  • 10-11-2009 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

I'm sick to death of hearing Christmas music and seeing Christmas decorations in shops early in Novemer (or sometimes earlier!) every year.

I'd nearly go so far as to say that it's a blessing that the Council don't have the money to put up lights in the streets this year. I would nearly rather no lights than lights up way too early. I don't hate Christmas, in fact I love it. I hate Christmas being ruined by the retail sector pushing it on us way too early.

I think it's funny that they're having this campaign again this year.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/9571-shoppers-urged-buy-local-and-save-jobs

I personally won't be going anywhere near any shops in Galway that have music on and decorations up now (early November). For the last 2 years I avoided town like the plague in November and December and fucked off over to London to do my Christmas shopping a few days before Christmas. Will be doing the same again this year I think.

See you in January maybe if you're a Galway Shop Owner.

</rant>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

KevR wrote: »
    I'm sick to death of hearing Christmas music and seeing Christmas decorations in shops early in Novemer (or sometimes earlier!) every year.

I'd nearly go so far as to say that it's a blessing that the Council don't have the money to put up lights in the streets this year. I would nearly rather no lights than lights up way too early. I don't hate Christmas, in fact I love it. I hate Christmas being ruined by the retail sector pushing it on us way too early.

I personally won't be going anywhere near any shops in Galway that have music on and decorations up now (early November). For the last 2 years I avoided town like the plague in November and December and fucked off over to London to do my Christmas shopping a few days before Christmas. Will be doing the same again this year I think.

</rant>

Scrooge.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Bah Humbug...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

So you both think decorations should go up in October/November?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's not the earlification of the Christmas season that really bothers me. Hearing people whingeing about it bothers me. Every bloody year the same rants.

"Christmas is Starting Earlier Every Year!"
    Blahblahblah. Why does a minor irritant merit so much chatter?

It's like when Facebook changes and all you get is a stream of whines. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I fully agree with you. I'd say the same about Christmas ads in September.
    I'd nearly go so far as to say that it's a blessing that the Council don't have the money to put up lights in the streets this year. I would nearly rather no lights than lights up way too early.

Just a small correction here. Galway Corporation DO NOT put up the Christmas lights. The lights are paid for, at enormous cost, by the Galway City Business Association, and are funded by voluntary contributions from a large percentage of the business' in the city centre (not all business' pay into this).

I don't hate Christmas, in fact I love it. I hate Christmas being ruined by the retail sector pushing it on us way too early.

Most of the places I've seen with decorations up and music playing have been chain stores, not independent retailers.

No local shops, then no Christmas lights, no atmosphere in the city centre, and a huge amount of jobs gone.

That's your perogative. I hope that the business you're in doesn't rely on local custom, or customers with your frame of mind.

Some might; many will be gone if they don't make sales.
    </rant>

I think that "Rave" would be closer.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's not the earlification of the Christmas season that really bothers me. Hearing people whingeing about it bothers me. Every bloody year the same rants.

"Christmas is Starting Earlier Every Year!"
    Blahblahblah. Why does a minor irritant merit so much chatter?

You would think the penny would with the people responsible then, what with all the whinging. But clearly not. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I love Christmas.

I think Christmas decorations should go up after Race Week and not come down until Paddy's Day. The national radio stations should only play Christmas songs and RTE1 & 2 should have Home Alone on, every night.

So there.

Fey! wrote: »
    I fully agree with you. I'd say the same about Christmas ads in September.

Just a small correction here. Galway Corporation DO NOT put up the Christmas lights. The lights are paid for, at enormous cost, by the Galway City Business Association, and are funded by voluntary contributions from a large percentage of the business' in the city centre (not all business' pay into this).
    Thanks for that. I presumed it would have been the Council.

Most of the places I've seen with decorations up and music playing have been chain stores, not independent retailers.

No local shops, then no Christmas lights, no atmosphere in the city centre, and a huge amount of jobs gone.

So if it's the independent local shops who pay to put up the street Christmas lights why do they put them up so early and put nothing in their shops. Given the expense involved in putting up the street lights (they're struggling to fund it this year) surely they would save themselves a bit of money by waiting until the actual start of Christmas (8th December) before putting them up/turning them on. Seems odd to me..

As for the lights and atmosphere in the city. I honestly think there would be a much better atmosphere and a bigger buzz in town if they waited until actual Christmas (8th December) before putting them up. I think that putting them up so early ruins the atmosphere. So, dare I say, in recent years, they were masters of their own downfall to a degree. (Although this year they might not have the money at all).

While I always want local independent businesses to do well and hate to see them shutting down/job losses, that doesn't mean I can't crticise them. I think my arguement is valid. And, by the way, I doubt some of them are as badly off as they claim (that's not to say some aren't really struggling, but too many are jumping on the "poor me" bandwagon)

I think that "Rave" would be closer.
    Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

FFS, Christmas lights are already up in certain parts of London.

If you want to support an economy that doesn't put up Chritmas lights too early, why don't you stick to your guns and go to somewhere like Ethiopia to do your shopping?

I don't do my Christmas shopping until December with the exception of kids toys which are in the attic for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I should clarify that some chain stores such as BTs and Supermacs (not just them; just examples) also contribute.

The lights generally get lit around the last week in November. However, it takes several weeks to put them up properly and test them, which is why you may be seeing them go up now.

A lot of business' aim to get their decorations up for the day that the lights get lit so that people see a "start" to Christmas in the city. In our shop, we generally do the decorations at the start of December.

As for people poormouthing, that may be true in a few cases. However, the income of a huge number of shops has dramatically decreased, but they still have the same overheads such as staff/ESB/rates/tax. Nobody wants to let staff go, especially people who may be with you for years. Some people, but very few, have managed to negotiate their rent down a little bit. Insurance premiums have risen quite a bit. And thieving seems to be on the up.

KevR; the rave comment was just a nod toward the "Ranting & Raving" forum! :D

• Advertisement

ErnieBert wrote: »
    FFS, Christmas lights are already up in certain parts of London.

I know, but do I see the London Christmas lights every single day every single time I leave my house?

When I'm in town a few days before Christmas it doesn't feel like Christmas because it's the same streets with the same lights for the past 2 months. (And no, if they put up lights and then change to different lights nearer to actual Christmas it wouldn't make a difference)

It's not about supporting an economy of somewhere that doesn't put their lights up early, it's about Christmas being shite for me personally because they put the lights up too early here.

Sorry if that offends anyone!

I should clarify that some chain stores such as BTs and Supermacs (not just them; just examples) also contribute.

The lights generally get lit around the last week in November. However, it takes several weeks to put them up properly and test them, which is why you may be seeing them go up now.

A lot of business' aim to get their decorations up for the day that the lights get lit so that people see a "start" to Christmas in the city. In our shop, we generally do the decorations at the start of December.

As for people poormouthing, that may be true in a few cases. However, the income of a huge number of shops has dramatically decreased, but they still have the same overheads such as staff/ESB/rates/tax. Nobody wants to let staff go, especially people who may be with you for years. Some people, but very few, have managed to negotiate their rent down a little bit. Insurance premiums have risen quite a bit. And thieving seems to be on the up.

KevR; the rave comment was just a nod toward the "Ranting & Raving" forum! :D

Thanks for the informative response Fey! It did clear a lot up.

To be honest, it wasn't seeing Christmas street lights going up that sparked this thread. Was in a few shops yesterday (majority of which were chain stores as you mention) and really thought to myself that the world has gone mad. It does put me off going near the shops in question so shop/chain store owners/managers can take that anyway they want (they can get offended or they can ask other customers for their opinions and maybe change things next year to possibly improve the Christmas atmosphere).

I don't mind street lights going up a few weeks prior to them being switched on for testing and all that. Just once they're not turned on too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulh19

It's the staff I feel sorry for. Christmas music from early November right through to early January.

That's basically a sixth of your life listening to the same 20 or so Christmas songs - they all seem to use the same compilation albums.

I've read that Christmas music makes people buy more; perhaps this is why. I'm with the OP on this issue, to an extent. I'll do my shopping in town but will have my headphones on.

That's true Paul! It's a lot worse for the staff. Must be a bit soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I know, but do I see the London Christmas lights every single day every single time I leave my house?

If you lived in London, then you would!

Galway in deepest winter is a pretty dismal looking place: I'd far rather have some lights to cheer it up than not have 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I agree 100% with OP. Christmas is great, but it's great AT Christmas. Not in November.

I was in 2 particular shops over the weekend with Christmas music playing.

1: Super Valu in Barna (had earphones on though so didn't hear it til I got to the till!)

2: Lifestyle on Shop St. Walked in, had gotten about 10 feet inside shop, heard Christmas music, walked straight out again.

I think we should all name and shame these stupid business' playing Christmas music in early November

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Shops with christmas decorations up before Halloween is over annoy me, but I don't really see a problem with decorations and lights being put up in November, most people do their christmas shopping in November. I don't think anywhere should play chrismas music until closer to christmas though, the repitition of it is irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My friend (a self confessed big old hippie!) LOVES Fairy/Christmas lights, so much so that she decorates one room with lights.

Hence they are no longer Christmas lights, just lights...
    Takes away the joy of them, and the magic of the 'actual' holiday to be gawking at them for 6 weeks.

Maybe putting some up in Nov and the 'Nollaig Shona' ones etc, later to Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

paulh19 wrote: »
    It's the staff I feel sorry for. Christmas music from early November right through to early January.

That's basically a sixth of your life listening to the same 20 or so Christmas songs - they all seem to use the same compilation albums.

Jaysus. THIS. I went into work november 1st and what do I hear? Christmas songs. Now don't get me wrong, I love carols, they're one of my favourite things about christmas but in there we don't even get lyrics. Just repeatitive instrumental stuff. So mix that set of christmas songs with the other set of songs they've been playing on repeat for the last year and it's enough to make you go mad. And on top of that all the customers complaining at me about "why are they playing christmas music already? don'y they KNOW it's only november? What are they trying to do to us? blah blah blah"

I am also in total agreement with the op. Id go so far as to say its a disgrace how early the decorations go up and the ads come on the tv/radio.

In my opinion there should be no mention of Christmas until the 8th of December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

</rant>

bah, humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Just a note on Christmas Lights from Galway News

CITY LIGHTS EXPECTED TO BE SWITCHED ON IN 3 WEEKS
    November 13, 2009 - 9:08am

The Galway city christmas lights are expected to be turned in three weeks if retailers cover the cost in time.

The Galway Business Association says that negotiations are ongoing between retailers along the city's main streets to organise paying for the lights.

Good news then eh? You won't have to go to London after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwaygal09

i havent been in Galway city for awhile...have the lights been switched on yet...or does anyone know when they plan to switch them on???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I am also in total agreement with the op. Id go so far as to say its a disgrace how early the decorations go up and the ads come on the tv/radio.

In my opinion there should be no mention of Christmas until the 8th of December.

Excuse my possible ignorance, but why
    specifically 8th of December ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Isn't 8th December when the culchies travel to Dublin for their Christmas shopping? Or something along those lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

The lights were going up last Friday, I'd say everyone has seen them by now. Still not on though... Fully agree with the majority of comments here, LEAVE THE CHRISTMAS STUFF TIL CHRISTMAS! I'm sick to death of the Meteor Christmas ads, was sick of them the week after they started in fairness, it's just not on!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Magnus wrote: »
    Isn't 8th December when the culchies travel to Dublin for their Christmas shopping? Or something along those lines?

Wikipedia sez:
    December 8 marks the conception of the Virgin Mary in many Christian denominations and the enlightenment of Buddha in most Buddhist sects.

* R.C. Saints – The Feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary (Holy Day of Obligation in Ireland, U.S.); Saint Eucharius, first bishop of Trier ...

I understand that Ireland's Rural Residents(*) have a tradition of shopping on that day because historically their kids got a day off school so they could go to Mass (the "holy day of obligation" bit).

(*) Does anyone know what term the members of this community prefer? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    Wikipedia sez:

(*) Does anyone know what term the members of this community prefer? ;)

'People' is grand I'd say...:p

the words 'from the country' in the wrong hand has come to mean 'non-dubliner'..beyond the Pale.

How about Villager?:D, but only if you're related to everyone in the parish!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

8th has always been the start of the Christmas season proper in my eyes.

Tis true about people who are rarely in town coming in that day. It is not advisable to try to negotiate the headford road roundabout that day! :) Normal knobs + people not used to city driving + confusing roundabout layout = bad juju.

Anyway my tree goes up around the 8th and comes down around 6th of Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

where i work we wont be playing any christmas music at all this year.. not by deliberate choice i dont think,just the kind of music they have started sending into us is all this classical stuff with no words,just music. so its just gonna be like that up till xmas now.. i used to be sick of it every other year,but now i think im gonna miss it a bit this year!! :( oh well.. i suppose i can just pop into shop next door and get my fix of it. haha..

Advertisement