Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Alpha Lens

• 10-11-2009 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Last year I picked up a Sony Alpha 200, as an xmas pressie, for my father.

This year I would like to get a good lens, to go with this. He seems to like taking landscape shots more than anything else. He has no photographic training, he just likes stopping the car and taking a pic, when something he likes catches his eye.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

I'd say if you're looking for a good quality all-rounder that's better than the kit lens, but that won't break the bank, the Zeiss ZA 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 DT is the one to go for.

Decent build quality, great resolution and a good walkaround zoom range, excellent for landscapes. Looks like Amazon is charging STG520 or so for it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

I have a Sony Alpha with a few different lenses but I virtually always use the standard kit lens for landscapes. It's good quality and relatively wide angled. Every now and then I'll get a winder angle by setting up a tripod and doing a stitch-together panorama in an image editor e.g. GIMP.

In these recessionary times what I've been doing is picking up old Minolta/Konica Minolta lenses from ebay - they've all be in good nick and definitely add to the the possibilities. My favourite purchase was a 20+ year old Sigma 70-200mm zoom lens; for €30 I can pop off the kit lens and take a completely different photo, be it of a detail in the landscape or throwing a nice focused effect on a portrait. I don't have any training either but the great variety of lenses available lets you experiment and learn by doing.

Any Minolta fit will work, theoretically, but for sanity's sake go for the auto-focus ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Your options are - (smaller number = wider btw)

Sigma 10-20mm
    Zeiss 16-80mm as mentioned
    sony 11-18mm
    tamron 11-18 (essentially a clone of the sony)

I'd go for the sigma if it was my money

Advertisement