Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi's in Lucan

• 10-11-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭

Taxi fares from lucan village to south lucan are way too high.

To get a taxi from lucan village to my estate which is under 2 miles costs 7:10 after 10 pm. Now in fairness if down in the country where the petrol can vary between 2-5 cents each way the taxi's charge 5 euros from home to town which is a longer distance.

So a taxi down and home if its raining we are talking nearly 15 euro and then another euro per extra person which is a joke.

So is there any taxi's in lucan doing deals to the village and also any hackeys in lucan that does this cheaper.

At the moment i avoid the village because of this rip off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

well it is 4.45 and 2 euro call out then a euro per person thats country wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thats not true

Seems Dublin have a rip off with taxi's and hackneys.

Our local guy down home runs a hackney and taxi service, so when you use to ring for a cab you would say hackney as was cheaper but now its both the same. 5 euros including pick up to town which is 2 miles away.

And also taxis dont have to charge the euro per person, thats up to themselves, as one lucan cab company use to waive that and charge 20 euros from lucan to town at any time no matter how many in the car or the 8 seater one. Normal price would always be over 20 euro so switched to them for town.

What about hackneys in lucan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Thats not true

Seems Dublin have a rip off with taxi's and hackneys.

Our local guy down home runs a hackney and taxi service, so when you use to ring for a cab you would say hackney as was cheaper but now its both the same. 5 euros including pick up to town which is 2 miles away.

And also taxis dont have to charge the euro per person, thats up to themselves, as one lucan cab company use to waive that and charge 20 euros from lucan to town at any time no matter how many in the car or the 8 seater one. Normal price would always be over 20 euro so switched to them for town.

What about hackneys in lucan?

There is very few hackney's left in Dublin now so it would be hard to find a firm in the city to do deals like the one you mention.

Hackneys can charge less in the country as 10KM on open road is more economical fuel wise and quicker in time than 10KM of urban driving. Rural or country hackneys and taxis tend to have longer distances and scope for repeat business so they can offer deals like that to regular callers.

And dare I be so bold to say it but if the €1-€2 makes such a difference maybe you should consume one less drink or bag of peanuts when you are out ;)

Thats not true

what are you talking about it is true just look at the prices that are set. Im not lying at anything. If you choose a taxi thats what you pay we pay big money for the plate compared to a taxi and that extra charge goes towards our expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

you said:

"well it is 4.45 and 2 euro call out then a euro per person thats country wide"

While its true to a certain extent the charge per person doesnt have to be included, up to the driver.

Also dont give me that crap about busy roads up here and not so busy down the country.

The trip from lucan village to South lucan is the same as any town in ireland.

And in fairness after 10 pm traffic in Dublin is low. Also the roads in Dublin are alot better quality and easier to drive.

And instead of going to village I jsut go to local so taxi driver loses out not me, or one of us drive ourselves.

And going by the numbers in town there is a big number of people doing that also.

And to be honest if things were that bad out there for taxi drivers ye be bending over backwards and doing everything to make money.

Ye still make a good profit on 5 euro for two miles consider business would go up.

But do have to say fair play to the taxi firm in lucan that does the 20 euro deal into town or from town and that includes call out charge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you said:

"well it is 4.45 and 2 euro call out then a euro per person thats country wide"

While its true to a certain extent the charge per person doesnt have to be included, up to the driver.

Also dont give me that crap about busy roads up here and not so busy down the country.

The trip from lucan village to South lucan is the same as any town in ireland.

And in fairness after 10 pm traffic in Dublin is low. Also the roads in Dublin are alot better quality and easier to drive.

And instead of going to village I jsut go to local so taxi driver loses out not me, or one of us drive ourselves.

And going by the numbers in town there is a big number of people doing that also.

And to be honest if things were that bad out there for taxi drivers ye be bending over backwards and doing everything to make money.

Ye still make a good profit on 5 euro for two miles consider business would go up.

But do have to say fair play to the taxi firm in lucan that does the 20 euro deal into town or from town and that includes call out charge.

sounds like you dont like taxi's, you should use the bus imo.

either that or get the numebr of a driver and tell him you will ring him directly everytime you need the journey and will he do a flat rate.

when you get to the pub do u bargain on price. if your 2 mean to pay the extra 2.10 instead of driving well lol need i say anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The Taxi Regulator sets the "National Maximum Fare" so if you want to have a rant off with you to the taxi regulator, she sets the fares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Taxi drivers are in a bind at the moment, they know the set fares are too high for people to see them as a genuine alternative to travel and use them only when no other means are available, yet when they do get customers they are tempted to charge for all the extras, in the past they may not have (my dad is one and thats his opinion anyways).

If the prices were to drop the 20% which most firms are running 'special discounts' now at I reckon the volume of users would more than increase by 20% but therin lies the problem, taxi drivers don't have the choice as their fare structure is set. I think its obvious a review is needed as numbers have fallen dramatically over the last year. Most drivers are struggling. People will say 'so what, they were milking us for years' but thats hardly the point is it, taxi drivers are entitled to earn a living like the rest of us and thats harder to do nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Lucan taxis are unbelievable - to the village from near Molloys (ie less than 5mins) and it cost EUR8!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

There is often a queue of 20+ taxis at the rank stretching back down the main street at night, especially on weeknights when there aren't many people around - always struck me as being strange that they would be waiting around for what must be at least an hour for a fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Absurdum wrote: »
    There is often a queue of 20+ taxis at the rank stretching back down the main street at night, especially on weeknights when there aren't many people around - always struck me as being strange that they would be waiting around for what must be at least an hour for a fare.

Strange ?? You think? I know drivers who have waited 2hrs to 2 and a half hours for a fare .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Strange ?? You think? I know drivers who have waited 2hrs to 2 and a half hours for a fare .

Only to get an 8 euro fare to Molloys... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Absurdum wrote: »

Absurdum its not strange at all. I operate a taxi in the West of Ireland and during the week nights if I decide to work I could be waiting up to anything from one hour to over two hours and more for a fare. Its just the way things are at the moment with the 'R' word. People are not going out during the week so I am depending on Thursdays to Sundays to make any decent money.
    The regulator put up the fares at the wrong time. They were dear enough as they were. Plus expenses for drivers are going up too with increases in their licence fees, extra testing coming in and insurance seems to be going up all the time.

Advertisement