Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork - fly or drive?

• 10-11-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Cork for the night of the 19th of Dec and trying to decide on mode of transport.

I'm thinking Christmas traffic around the country will be crazy so driving down might take forever.

Flying seems like a good option on paper, 40 euro return each (there are 2 of us) and I live close to Dublin Airport. Cost of petrol would be 50.

Anything I should know about flying? How much would a taxi from Cork Airport to city centre cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Personally, I'd drive as the only mental place would be the M50. Drove to Cork in 2h30m from Red Cow back in September with a minor hold up at Dunkettle.

Taxi from Cork Airport to the city should be between €10-€15 depending on where you're staying in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

You also have to pay €10 per person for using a credit card to pay for your flight.

Taxi to Cork from airport is about €15 max.

You must bring your passport - driver's licence not accepted.

Carry on luggage is frequently checked for size and weight limits so make sure you are within 10kg and 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. I see a lot of people pulled up on this recently and then shaken down for cash.

They charge €40 if you forget your boarding pass but this is going up to €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I'd drive, it's not a bad drive if you do it early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

jimogr wrote: »
    I'm going to Cork for the night of the 19th of Dec and trying to decide on mode of transport.

I'm thinking Christmas traffic around the country will be crazy so driving down might take forever.

Flying seems like a good option on paper, 40 euro return each (there are 2 of us) and I live close to Dublin Airport. Cost of petrol would be 50.

Anything I should know about flying? How much would a taxi from Cork Airport to city centre cost?

Most late night rail tickets are just €10 per person one way with no baggage limit, no boarding cards, no checking in 90 minutes ahead, no massive hidden fees (just €2 for credit card bookings), reserved seats and last minute booking possible. At worse, a rail ticket is €36 single and it's city centre to city centre though I note that you are near Dublin airport and it may be less hassle to get here than to Heuston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd drive

Easier, more flexible and more fun than the other options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd drive. With the motorway, your only worry is Abbeyleix. Even then, I drive up and down for Christmas every year and haven't had problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Train would definately be the most relaxing way for both of you. I doubt you'd be in much of rush? No hassle at all and there's usually plenty of €10 fares available.
    City centre > City centre, sure you can't go wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

drive or train, defo not flying, as someone else mentioned the baggage allowance. train takes about 2.5 hours and goes into city centre so is handy location wise - well for getting there anyway, but if you live close to airport get 16a into oconnell st and get luas from abby st straight to heuston!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I drive home mostly, but sometimes I fly if I get a really cheap flight - i.e. close to zero. For weekends I generally don't have to worry about baggage allowance. I don't live too far from Dublin Airport either, and to be honest - door to door, driving is faster.

Too many hoops to jump through with Ryanair.

Stark wrote: »
    I'd drive. With the motorway, your only worry is Abbeyleix. Even then, I drive up and down for Christmas every year and haven't had problems.
    There is a straightforward bypass route around Abbeyleix as well that I'll share by PM if you needed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

dcr22B wrote: »
    There is a straightforward bypass route around Abbeyleix as well that I'll share by PM if you needed it.

No - too many people know that route. ;)

I do feel sorry for some of the people living along this route. For what is a very quite country road, it does put up with a lot of traffic at peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

Thanks for the input guys.

Don't care about the baggage allowance as its only for one night, but not many voices in favour of flying.

dcr22B wrote: »

Thanks, but I already know it, just didn't want to share ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the only pinchpoint is Abbeyliex.To avoid this, continue down the N7 to Roscrea and then take the Thurles road from there.Quite a good road and comparitivley empty. Gain the M8 at Horse And Jockey....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

jimogr wrote: »

Drive. Simple as that.
    If you head down on the Saturday morning relatively early you'll have a clear run. You'll have 18 or 19 miles of single carriage road from Portlaoise to Cullahill and all the rest of the journey will be motorway/dual carriageway.
    I regularly do the drive from Lucan to Cork and it takes an average of 2hrs 15mins now (even with bad traffic in Abbeyleix, it will stretch to 2hrs 30mins)
    This time two years ago I'd have recommended flying. But now? Not a chance. Parking the car, getting the bus to the terminal, queuing, then waiting to board, then the flight and then making your way from Cork airport? Not worth the hassle! You'd be quicker driving and it'll work out cheaper too

corktina wrote: »
    the only pinchpoint is Abbeyliex.To avoid this, continue down the N7 to Roscrea and then take the Thurles road from there.Quite a good road and comparitivley empty. Gain the M8 at Horse And Jockey....

Problem there is you have to go through Mountrath. Also, you've 72km worth of single carriageway driving to do, versus 30km on the Abbeyleix route. 72km to be stuck behind some dithering idiot(s) if the traffic is heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Drive it. Abbeyleix may hold you up a bit, but its the only place.

Think of it this way, you will take about 2h30m to drive it. Technically you're supposed to arrive at the airport 2h30m before most flights, probably similar for domestic flights around Christmas.

Just try not to hit the M50 or Abbeyleix at rush hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd drive down, the're should be no issues on the M50, maybe a delay at Newlands and Naas and Abbeyleix as has been pointed out, but southbound there is an easy way around.

There were no 24hour carparks in Cork when I lived there, maybe there are now, but check it out. The pay parking zones reached further and further out of the city centre so you'ld need something to consider about this here.

others probably have more info on this.

Stark wrote: »
    Thanks, but I already know it, just didn't want to share ;)
    Not much keeps up with me when I take the back route (all legally below the 80 km/h limit) as the sheep who follow me have no idea where they're going. It's amusing sometimes! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Don't forget that Aer Arann fly that route too, not just Ryanair.
    So you'd have bigger luggage allowances, etc plus you can use your driving license for check-in.

Having said that though, I'd still vote for the train (off-peak and use website to book tickets) or drive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Howyadoing

Taxi from Dublin to cork would cost less than
    €1 per km. Why not travel in style and have someone
    drive u there and be able to stop of on the way
    for a bit of lunch when and where u like. A little
    more expensive I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Howyadoing wrote: »
    Taxi from Dublin to cork would cost less than
    €1 per km. Why not travel in style and have someone
    drive u there and be able to stop of on the way