Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish Players of Each Character?

Options
  • 10-11-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭

Just wondering who everyone thinks that the best players of every character in SF4 are - I'd imagine there'll be general consent from the outset, but I'm not aiming to start a flame war here so everybody be chill.

Anyway here'd be my opinions - just basing these on people I've played against, not including people who I haven't:

Ryu: Mike Guilfoyle/Newtype
    Honda: A-Trak
    Blanka: bush
    Guile: Doom
    Abel: Kiki
    C. Viper: The Witch xx
    Ken: Ramza
    Chun-Li: bush (edit: not putting Simon Guilfoyle down as I haven't gotten the chance to play him)
    Dhalsim: Kirby
    Rufus: Not sure (edit: probably bush, forgot he played Rufus)
    El Fuerte: Chopper
    Balrog: Ropedrink (haven't had a chance to play Darktalent? not sure on the name, blonde hair and glasses, seems quite good)
    Vega: Owmykneecap (haven't played a big irish man/ken b yet)
    Sagat: Nope...Can't think of anyone... :pac: (animaX)
    Bison: Probably blag though I have a lot more experience vs Azza's Bison and I'd consider them equally able to kick my ass
    Sakura: Yreval
    Akuma: FoamyMushroom
    Seth: Azza (though he's the only person I'm aware of that messes around with him)
    Gen: Azza
    Rose: Azza
    Cammy: Have only played Jim I think, have heard Cobelcog is very good though
    Fei Long: John Lundy/Liquidswords
    Gouken: animaX (can't think of anyone that plays him a lot though)
    Dan: Azza

Have left my own character (Zangief) out since I don't think I'd be a fair judge.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    El Fuerte: Not sure

Chopper plays a mean el fuerte..
    Rose: Azza (only Rose player I think?)

Chopper also played Rose for a while...

You got a problem with Chopper? :d

BTW you easily have the nastiest Irish Gief.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Oh yeah forgot Chopper played Fuerte actually. Will edit (from what I've played Azza's Rose is imo better but haven't played Chopper's in ages).

edit: and cheers, only other Irish Gief I've played is Icarian and the mirror matchup is hardly representative of the player so I don't feel qualified to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

self praise thread..........?

Placebo wrote: »

Naaah. it's for you to praise me. :D

Placebo wrote: »

Not at all, even if people do post me it's not exactly a huge accolade as I can only think of 3 Irish Giefs anyway - in fact I'd love to see more in order to be able to have more opportunities to discuss matchups and tips etc. at meets (this is the same for most characters I think - take Kirby, he's obviously a great player, but being called "the best Irish Dhalsim" doesn't actually reflect that as he may as well be the only Irish Sim player)! I made the thread because I'm interested to see if there's general agreement between the members of the Irish scene as to who's currently the best practitioner of each character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

CodeMonkey has a pretty mean Vega and Gouken.

Neptune/Creature is also very good with Balrog.

Don't really see the purpose of this thread though personally (not bitter, honest, Foamy is a better Akuma ;)). Everything that it could accomplish can be done with the seeding thread imo.

Oh and:

Zangief: Dreddybajs

[SERIOUS]Also, this thread handily tells me who I need to track down and practice against.[/SERIOUS]

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Everything that it could accomplish can be done with the seeding thread imo.

I think we should have a stickied seeding thread.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Well I doubt I slot in anywhere on the meter as far as Rog is concerned, just that I made a point of getting out there and throwing my movies all over the place.

Surely there's a lot of other Irish Rog players but I've not encountered a single one (at least as far as Online is concerned). Keep in mind that anyone with Offline experience/playtime will kick my teeth in.

Ironically when I went down to make a cup of tea earlier on I had this weird notion of what it'd be like to field an Irish SF4 team (Strange, aye, I know).

I watch tonnes of tournament movies and often get really into the 5v5 style of matches so it's common for me to think, mmmm, what if?

Not weird at all. Imagine Azza and Bush on a team. "Team utter bastard".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Chun li should be simon guilfoyle, mine isnt great at all.

• Advertisement

bush wrote: »
    Chun li should be simon guilfoyle, mine isnt great at all.

To be fair that's a great Chun to watch.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    CodeMonkey has a pretty mean Vega and Gouken.

Neptune/Creature is also very good with Balrog.

Don't really see the purpose of this thread though personally (not bitter, honest, Foamy is a better Akuma ;)). Everything that it could accomplish can be done with the seeding thread imo.

Cool, haven't played Codemonkey - forgot Creature but from the games I've played against him I'd say Ropedrink does better at the Gief matchup at least. Also I'd love to get some sets in with your Akuma dude, honestly I wouldn't be able to accurately judge between ye two as I haven't played more than a few games with you, while I've played a good bit more with Foamy (though still not all that much, just relatively)!

As for the purpose of the thread I think that this post alone proves it - had no idea about Codemonkey playing Gouken and that's a matchup I need serious practice in, so I'd love to get some games in with him in future. Up to the mods though as to whether the thread serves a purpose or not.

edit: Yeah bush I didn't put Simon down as I haven't played him, and the last time I saw him play was at the very first (or maybe third?) XGC tourney. Another guy I'd love to get games in but I don't think the Guilfoyle brothers play online so there are few opportunities.

Up to the mods though as to whether the thread serves a purpose or not.

There's already been a couple of interesting posts. Lets see where it goes. I'm not about stamping down on threads without a reason.

Well I doubt I slot in anywhere on the meter as far as Rog is concerned, just that I made a point of getting out there and throwing my movies all over the place.

I'm not taking your movies into account, just the games I've played with you.

edit after deleted double post:
    There's already been a couple of interesting posts. Lets see where it goes. I'm not about stamping down on threads without a reason.

I don't think a seeding thread fulfills the same purpose as I've never seen that Codemonkey guy (for example) at a meet, so I'd never have heard of him in a seeding thread.

Aye matey, "Bastard Coated Bastards" - Who was the Blanka player who made me nerdrage like a petty schoolgirl? Christ I can't stand that snot goblin at all and the person in question literally made me feel embarassed to call myself a SF4 player.

Have you seen the videos of Bush and I while he was playing Rufus?

I nearly took a round off him. Nearly.

Boomer (or maybe just me) has a hard time with Rufus at the best of times. I need more of that match up.

I have to say, fighting Bush' Rufus is the hardest human fight I've ever had in a fighting game ever.

Funnily enough I had practiced Blanka in preparation of fighting him again and reckon I could give him a game. So he never f$%king picked him :D

Out of the characters you listed Ropedrink, only Azza's Gen is available to play on PC from the people I listed (unless bush has the pc version but I thought he just had ps3 and xbox).

edit: And yeah there are a few other solid Irish Balrogs, I think out of all of them I've played you've done the best against my Gief though, which is what I was basing it on. Obviously when you take other matchups into account things can change, which is why it's nice to get other opinions (eg. maybe Creature has a better Balrog overall but I was just thinking of how you and him played vs my Gief) - also obviously time changes things and I think it'd be cool to see how people improve over time in this thread, maybe through posts where people have changed their mind and now consider X player's Dan better than Y's or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Chopper plays a mean el fuerte..

I really don't.

Anyone with the slightest experience against Fuerte will easily beat mine.

I gave up on Rose very quickly, so I'm sure Azza is better than me with her.

I'd say Cunny is just as good with Ryu as Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

In fairness, I see blag as a better Bison than Azza. Azza and I have had some close matches while whenever I played blag, I couldn't get a round off him. Although it could be that I'm not use to blag's style which is why I do feck all against him.

I demand that Retro be defined as top Ryu player!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Man you forget about me! The only Ryu V Ryu match i've ever lost at casuals is VS Leprikaun. I also main Sakura, but she's improving atm & easy to beat when in my hands i admit.

Akuma = FoamyMushroom, but he needs to stop wasting his EX bars.
    Gief = Dreddy
    Sim = Kirby
    Bison = Azza
    Viper = Witch
    Blanka = Sagat08

That's all i can think about for now, OH Also Sagat = Everyone

Xinkai wrote: »
    Man you forget about me! The only Ryu V Ryu match i've ever lost at casuals is VS Leprikaun. I also main Sakura, but she's improving atm & easy to beat when in my hands i admit.

You've never met Mike Guilfoyle then. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

A big Irish Man is comfortably the strongest Irish Vega I've come up against.

The argument for Azza or Blag is a good one, I think Azza is more match up specific whereas Blag has a great fundamental understanding!!

Ropedrink is honestly the only Irish boxer I've come up against. You played my Blanka a couple of months ago and I have to say you were pretty solid in the match up.

Xinkai you have a good Ryu but nowhere near as good as Mike from what I've seen (that said I haven't seen Mike play in ages nor have I played against him in ages).

Agreed that Cunny has a very good Ryu as well.

edit: Must get some games against you Sagat06, don't think we've played? Meant to at the last casuals we were both at but you headed off before I got the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

Sakura: Yreval? (not sure on name but one of the NI players)
    Yeah, that's Yreval.
    Fei Long: NI player I am unsure of the name of?
    John Lundy/LiquidSwords.
    Rufus: Not sure (edit: probably bush, forgot he played Rufus)
    I've never seen any other Rufus (then again I've only been down to XGC once) but it's Dan/V-DecK's main.

Ah, forgot VDeck, apologies. Last time I played him though was (I think) the first XGC tourney, so I don't really have any idea how good he is now. Cheers for the names, will edit my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I've a long way to go before I'm anywhere here, I don't know a lot of match ups. I'm too clumsy and I'm not patient enough. I've only more recently gotten to the stage of thinking I wanna actually truly learn the game to win.. so far its just been an fun online game I love playing. Hence why I play so many characters, I don't have the mentality of picking a main and aiming to dominate with him.

But I'm getting into the idea of a more competitive nature and I find it's good craic anyways, with such a sound community. I don't mind losing but I'd like to at least make the other guy work for his win. :D

Who is Mike Guilfoyle again, is he one of the northern irish players? I did see a damn good ryu player when they were down at one of the XGC tournies so I'll assume its him. He was deffo miles better then me from watching him play, miles.

Xinkai you've not played me either btw :p

**edit** ropey if you wanna start being considered one of the best irish rog players, show up to a tourney or a casual :p

• Moderators Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Azza

Well my list would be like this.

Abel= KO.KiKi
    Akuma=Foamymushroom
    Balrog=Fake Roogle
    Blanka=Bush, although the guys up north would be strongly in favor of Simon Lau.
    C.Viper= The Witch
    Cammy=Cobelcog
    Chun-Li= Bush, Simon Guilfoyle no longer players.
    Dan=Played no Irish players.
    Dhalsim=Kirby
    E.Honda=Bush
    El Fuerte=Not played any Irish players.
    Fei-Long=John Lundy
    Gen=Played no Irish Players
    Gouken=Not played any Irish players.
    Guile=SDoom
    Ken= Not played any Irish Ken players, would imagine Mike Guilfoyle would be top of the pile.
    M.Bison=Blag
    Rose-Not played any Irish players.
    Rufus=Bush
    Ryu= Mike Guilfoyle
    Sagat=Animax
    Sakura=Not played anyone but I assume its Yerval.
    Seth=Not played any Irish players.
    Vega=Ken B
    Zangief=Dreddybajs

Didn't know bush played Honda as well...feckin charge characters. :pac:

Yeah, that's Yreval.

John Lundy/LiquidSwords.

I've never seen any other Rufus (then again I've only been down to XGC once) but it's Dan/V-DecK's main.

Not to insult V Deck at all but I've fought both and Bush's Rufus is pure liquid evil.

V decks is great too, but Bushes is a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Have to say, Daniel (not sure, he's VDeck, yeah? One of the dudes from the north) had a nasty Rufus from what I've seen. I'm really curious to see how I'd compare against everyone now as I've developed almost a completely different play style that at least against my bro looks very successful :). I've gone back to maining Ken with Akuma/Bison being my secondary characters although I probably play better with Akuma over Bison. I'm steadily trying to improve my game with Akuma to make him my best as the only way to win is to truly embrace the Dark Hadou!!!

• Advertisement

Personally ultimately I'm not interested in competing or anything and I won't be able to make any of the events.

Ah it's more about cameradariririririiririe than competition for me :)

Advertisement