Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish Players of Each Character?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Would agree with all that azza - I've found in g2 that if I play akuma I run people close but with ryu I'd win largely down to his ability to take damage. Blanka is a ****ing pain in the hole too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »
    Fix your game Ceature darn it!

I don't really agree with what you say SDoom

There the 3 best characters in the game but Akuma has a higher learning curve than Ryu or Sagat. He has the best toolset bar Seth but he requires you play almost perfect as he is punished so hard for mistakes.

I think if you roughly even in skill with a Ryu player you will never get dominated or never dominate him.

Sagat does not require you to be 20% better than your opponent to be good with him, I don't care how use to the match you are your not going have an easy time against Sagat once you come up against someone who remotely knows what they are doing with him.

Outside of indvidual bad match up for characters think the hardest match ups are Zangief and Blanka. I reckon these are the ultimate scrub killers. You need to know what you doing against them or you will get owned.

Do you not think you learn the match ups quicker because you're fighting them online all the time?

Kinda what I meant, although garbled there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I think the only reason I'm on that list as a good Ken player is cause I think people haven't faced off to many other Irish kens (I could be wrong so let me know). I got destroyed by dreddy's Gief and by a few other players too. I wouldn't say I'm great at all, but I want to/plan on playing more/getting better!
    A-Trak wrote: »
    Would say that my bro is the best Ken I've ever played, online or off.

He's unky chop chop on live! Ken B has ran into him a few times in G1 and would agree.

I hope to drag him to the next tourney.

Nice! Would love to meet up at the meet and get some Ken guidance/games!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Doom is right but in fairness, almost 80% of the ryu's you play online are trash.
    So Its really up to the player, not the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

No I agree with Doom kinda, if he means by 'good' as in other peoples opinion of his character.

If I picked Fei Long or Gen at the same time as I picked up Ryu or Sagat I would be considered a better player with either Gen or Fei, simply because more people know the matchup better for Ryu and Sagat.

BUT

Now if he meant 'good' as in affective than no I would disagree. Ryu and Sagat players dont have to work as hard because of all their tools.

It makes sense in my head anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

joconnell wrote:
    Would agree with all that azza - I've found in g2 that if I play akuma I run people close but with ryu I'd win largely down to his ability to take damage. Blanka is a ****ing pain in the hole too.

Blanka is very unusual, full of tricks that take a while to figure out. Once you figure them out he's not too bad. But until you do he is a nightmare.

For a fireball character you have to deal with his slide at medium range and Ex.Blanka Balls. He's jump is fast and hard to hit with anti air normals. He's got plenty of pressure options to annoy you hit when he knocks you down (particularly if you have no DP like reversal) and is immune to cross ups and jump ins when he is knocked down. He has all sorts of nonsense that just requires experience to deal with but really destroys those unaware of how to cope with it.

His main weakness is he doesn't do a whole lot of damage outside of a combo that leads into a Blanka Ball and is reliant on mistakes from his opponent to land his ultra. He doesn't have the comeback capability of the top tier characters.
    Do you not think you learn the match ups quicker because you're fighting them online all the time?
    Must Ryu's online don't play the character properly. You will learn a fair bit playing online. The larger the player base the better. But I also feel you'll want to look up forums and get specific advise on match up's, learn what top players do with your own character and how the play against the top players of other characters.

I don't think Boxer has an advantage against Akuma I think its a 5:5.

Most characters do massive damage, but Akuma does above average damage from his regular combo's and his runaway and zoning game are really effective. He is the complete package, good offense, good defense, can zone and can run down the clock. Just requires no mistakes.

Also I don't think Sagat:Boxer match up is heavily in Sagat's favor. Boxer is in no worse off than the entire cast in that match up bar Akuma. Sure Sagat has the edge but 6:4 isn't that bad. Play 3rd Strike and deal with 9:1 match ups.

Azza wrote: »
    Must Ryu's online don't play the character properly. You will learn a fair bit playing online. The larger the player base the better. But I also feel you'll want to look up forums and get specific advise on match up's, learn what top players do with your own character and how the play against the top players of other characters.

I totally agree with all of that actually.

I think meets are damn good for your game too if you're with the right people- dreddy, yourself and a few other really made me tidy up my game.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

Boxer-Akuma is supposed to be 5-5 but I can't shake the feeling that it's more in Akuma's favour than that.
    Sure, once you hit him you can take off a large chunk of his life and run-away Akuma doesn't give Boxer too many problems(you can get around all of his fireballs by varying you attacks) but once Akuma has you on the ground he can do some serious damage off a couple of good guesses, especially if you don't have any EX meter.
    Headbut gets plain beat by funny angled jump-ins, safe jumps and meaties both mean serious punishment.
    EX rush is your best option but if the Akuma player knows you're going to try it they can very easily punish it.
    Ultra and Super have too much start up.
    TAP = free punish for Akuma 95% of the time.
    Really all you can do is block while watching for throws or jump back fierce and if the Akuma player is smart he can deal with them.
    Whereas when you manage to knock Akuma down you get very little pressure, really all you have is safe jump and empty jump.
    Really the only thing that's in your favour in this match-up is your normals, which are excellent and Akuma's low health, which is somewhat offset by his damage output.
    I don't think this match is 5-5, probably 4-6 in Akumas favour, not any more than this, but only because of the fact that it only takes a few solid hits to stun or kill Akuma, especially with HB->Ultra.

The stuff you mention Dark Talent doesn't change the the Akuma match up. Those are Boxers's universal weakness that applies to almost all his match ups.

TAP is safe at level 1 and 2. Akuma has no advantage in punishing it over any other character. Anything overthat can be punished by the entire cast.
    Boxers headbutt can be safe jumped on wake up by alot of the cast not just Akuma. His wakeup game is poor against most characters.
    All the cast has to deal with Akuma's mix up and wake up options like his DP and teleport both of which are powerful tools.
    I take it by ultra and super being too slow to start up you mean as a fireball punisher, which means it applies to all the match ups with fireball characters with the possible exception of Sim.
    EX. Rush punch is as likely to be punished by any other character as it is by Akuma the difference is a good Akuma does more damage. This offset by the fact that you need fewer chances to kill Akuma than most of the other characters.

Rog still has insanely good jab and roundhouse sweep, a practical immunity to being thrown and once you get in you have an easy ultra set up that comes from his 3 frame jab that will probably take half of Akuma's health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

As regards TAP and EX rush being punished I meant when they're used to avoid Akumas pressure set-ups(jump-ins, etc). The same for ultra and supers start up times.
    I know, only too well, that these are Boxers universal weaknesses, my point was that Akuma can exploit these weaknesses more efficiantly and for greater damage than the rest of the cast.
    In general against the rest of the cast, they can exploit Boxers weak wake-up easily enough but after they get the mix-up you can generally escape or ensure that they don't get a clean set-up by teching or not.
    However Akuma has a multitude of ways to land untechable knock-downs(Crossup tatsu, sweep/regular tatsu, sweep/safe jump, combo into tatsu, sweep/crossup mk/dive kick, combo into tatsu, sweep/empty jump/HP cancelled demon flip, throw/empty jump/HP cancelled demon flip, super) which lead back into the same low-risk high-reward mixup for Akuma into even more untechable knock-downs and so on.
    Until Akuma manages to knock you down Boxers normals, anti-airs, anti-fireball measures and simple damage and stun outputs mean that Boxer can make the match-up very difficult for Akuma, but once he scores a knockdown he can easily take off a huge amount of your lifebar while risking little himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Here here to what DarkTalant just said there..

But I think you guys are missing one mix up that akuma can only do on boxer, which is a free Demon.. Basically I was able to pull this off against all the boxers that I've met at the XGC..

Basically bait a turn punch with fireballs, then ultra simple as but timing has to be so, so precise. Once you see Boxer doing a turn punch, and you have quick enough hands, lay out the free demon!

I'm sorry for the term :P I couldnt think of any other words to describe it! But like I've only ever done that once to every boxer at the XGC, after I tried it again oh how I got punished... so its something im not to proud of, but happy that i managed to pull it off once on the boxers there! I cant say I've played you have i? It would be fun tho :)

Edit: Plus very nicely done not falling for the turn punch to ultra

Then he could try these other free Demon's if you vow never to fall for the fireball fake out.

Blocked Dash Straight: Super, must hit deep
    Blocked Dash Low Straight: Super, must hit deep
    Blocked Dash Overhead: Super
    Blocked Dash Upper: Super/Ultra
    Blocked Dash Low Smash: Super/Ultra
    Blocked TAP: Super, must hit deep
    Blocked Headbutt: Super/Ultra
    Blocked Super/Ultra: Super/Ultra

:P

You want some game Ropedrink I'm on now if you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Why are there suddenly lots of videos in this thread instead of one of the video threads?

Moved to the replay thread.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Could you move them to the Ireland Evaluation Thread instead, please?

Jaysis, aren't you picky? :D

Will do later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I wish I played a character that Bush doesn't play, then I might be in with a shot of making this list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

May I nominate myself for the demon or Gouken? :P

My credibility is ehem... I beat an S tier character with both :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I nominate FoamyMushroom for Akuma.

Still have a loooooong way to go until I'm at his level.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Yeah, for sure I nominate FoamyMushroom for Akuma but I'd like to nominate myself for Gouki :P

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

And I beat FoamyMushroom 2 out of 4 times with my Honda, so I'm not sure what that says about me :P

Basically Those where mess games D4RK ;) lol

This is one of these situations where two players gotta fight it out to be the best :P But Lep since you wana be best Gouken can have Gouken all ya like :D, no one touches my demon :( haha

Basically Those where mess games D4RK ;) lol

This is one of these situations where two players gotta fight it out to be the best :P But Lep since you wana be best Gouken can have Gouken all ya like :D, no one touches my demon :( haha

And there goes my confidence :(

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    And there goes my confidence :(

Gotta learn to deal with smack talk if you're gonna do SF4.

For example:

Sonic Boom, bitches! :D

Foamy's just a bit down because he got beat even once by a "G2-D" of 3000 points :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Leprekaun wrote: »
    May I nominate myself for Gouken? :P

I would second this motion! Had some great games with his gouken

(but don't ever pick my beloved sagat again:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

Not on GFWL much anymore, but add "fake roogle" and I'll always be up for games if I'm not playing someone else already.

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Foamy's just a bit down because he got beat even once by a "G2-D" of 3000 points :P

Lets play again n ill show ya the G1 of 17k+ Skills :D lol

Advertisement