Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you

Options
  • 10-11-2009 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

Just some positive feedback and a big thank you to smoke.me.a.kipper for resolving the issue of the count in tCN.
    It's great to have mods who listen and understand the importance of threads to the users.
    I'm sure the thread wont reach quite the million without boards asploding!! (unless DeV has some super ideas up his sleeve!) but reaching the 100,000th post will be a feat in itself. :):):)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'd just like to echo what kerash has said.
    And a big thanks to s.m.a.k. for his time and effort.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What happened?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Jonathan wrote: »
    What happened?
    See here.

In the meantime s.m.a.k. has resolved the matter.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Hermy wrote: »
    See here.

In the meantime s.m.a.k. has resolved the matter.
    I'm aware of that, I even posted in that thread :P

I meant what did S.M.A.K. do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What happened?

(Don't ask questions, just nod and say "you're welcome.")

Hey, you're welcome Kerash. Glad I could help. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the thread was closed randomly. it was opened randomly. i assume it will be closed randomly again soon tho... (as much as i like it)

best thing would be to start counting on another thread when the current one is locked again, and maybe we could sticky the original thread for its retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I'm aware of that, I even posted in that thread :P

Hi Jonathan.
    Basically I pm'd sarky who locked the thread and still haven't gotten a reply but no matter I then pm'd s.m.a.k who responded to me and re-opened the thread today.
    I'm very happy all was easily resolved.

the thread was closed randomly. it was opened randomly. i assume it will be closed randomly again soon tho... (as much as i like it)

best thing would be to start counting on another thread when the current one is locked again, and maybe we could sticky the original thread for its retirement.

Please can this be done at 100,000. It's easier to count as before as the first post will match the number and it wont get confused.
    A sticky would be awesome.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

kerash wrote: »
    Please can this be done at 100,000.

but that wouldnt be very silly! which is the point of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hi Jonathan.
    Basically I pm'd sarky who locked the thread and still haven't gotten a reply

Funny, my PM outbox suggests otherwise.

I'll get you SMAK, you and your little dog too.

• Advertisement

but that wouldnt be very silly! which is the point of the forum.
    No no no no! - the point of the thread is even sillier. Dont ye understand? - we ARE actually counting to a million;)
    Deluded and naive as that may seem!

Sarky wrote: »
    Funny, my PM outbox suggests otherwise.

I'll get you SMAK, you and your little dog too.
    Are you calling me a dog?
    Please resend the pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Thanks to everyone .:)
    love it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Delighted to see its back.
    And actually trying to count to a million is completely ridiculous, time consuming, pointless, silly, very sad (as my husband tells me repeatedly) but also peculiarly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Im happy that's all sorted out, and that i can be just happy again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I just need to interject here and say that if it's a case that this thread starts to affect site performance, we will close it and it will not re-open and no request to re-open it will be entertained. There's no exact science to this, I've just spoken with Conor about it and it's a combination of the number of posts vs the number of people viewing and it's all a big logistical and statistical mess :) Currently, it's ok and no, we can't give any indication as to when or if it might become a problem.

When this sorta thing happened before (The Lair on the Nocturnal Forum), the database was already under serious pressure from that thread and the fix was being worked on, so it was left open to try and assist in fixing it. Some work was done and has gotten us past the worst of it.

Bottom line, people need to stop becoming so attached to a thread, it's just a thread. Count to a million is, in my *personal* opinion, about as much UN-Cuckoos Nest as a thread could be. Where's the silliness in counting base ten numbers in order? Where's the point in locking it at a round, even number like 100,000? Now a "Count to F4240" thread, I could have gotten behind...

Dav

Dav wrote: »
    I just need to interject here and say that if it's a case that this thread starts to affect site performance, we will close it and it will not re-open and no request to re-open it will be entertained. There's no exact science to this, I've just spoken with Conor about it and it's a combination of the number of posts vs the number of people viewing and it's all a big logistical and statistical mess :) Currently, it's ok and no, we can't give any indication as to when or if it might become a problem.

When this sorta thing happened before (The Lair on the Nocturnal Forum), the database was already under serious pressure from that thread and the fix was being worked on, so it was left open to try and assist in fixing it. Some work was done and has gotten us past the worst of it.

Bottom line, people need to stop becoming so attached to a thread, it's just a thread. Count to a million is, in my *personal* opinion, about as much UN-Cuckoos Nest as a thread could be. Where's the silliness in counting base ten numbers in order? Where's the point in locking it at a round, even number like 100,000? Now a "Count to F4240" thread, I could have gotten behind...

Dav

Some really interesting points in the above post Dav.

Firstly I have no idea what F4240 actually is or what it means. Or how to even to go about counting to it :rolleyes: (I might start a count in binary no's, that I could do)

Secondly on getting attached to a thread - many ppl on boards are attached to different parts of it. Maybe not as specific as Count to a Million - but could you imagine closing keys threads in the Soccer forum or AH. This is a rough comparision - please don't rip it apart :o There is an interesting paradox, boards is a community - ppl get attached to their parts of their community.

Thirdly and this is an interesting point. What is tCN's actually about. They are some very, very differing opinions on it. The Count to a Million Thread is a bit strange alright - people post in that who very rarely post in other threads in tCN. And people post in tCN who never post in the Million thread. And then they are very regular posters for whom the Million thread is an integral part of the tCN experience.

And finally the performance of boards is obviously the most important issue in this. Less than 2000 posts will get us to the 100k mark. To prevent any potential problems occuring, close the thread at the 100k mark, and then start at 100,001 in a new thread.
    The current thread has an awful lot of pictures in it from the earlier numbers, so closing it may be a good idea once it hits the 100k mark.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Firstly I have no idea what F4240 actually is or what it means. Or how to even to go about counting to it :rolleyes: (I might start a count in binary no's, that I could do)
    1,000,000 is F4240 in hex (base16).

Dav
    Obviously if it's melting boards it has to be locked.
    I think we'd all agree with Queen-Mise, let it run to 100,000 and lock it and hopefully the mods of tCN and the count to a million posters can make peace going forward..

I've no idea what F4240 is:confused::D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I've no idea what F4240 is:confused::D

Hex. It's a computer form of counting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Now a "Count to F4240" thread, I could have gotten behind...

"Count to Blue" would be better. Although maybe that's too easy, perhaps "Count to Teal" would provide a bit more challenge while remaining achievable?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Count to 80085.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Count to spatula.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Count to spatula.
    count_spatula_410745.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

weeeeee/o/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

How about a guessing count game?

Like guess the number of posts remaining in this thread before its closed? :pac:

Conor wrote: »
    "Count to Blue" would be better. Although maybe that's too easy, perhaps "Count to Teal" would provide a bit more challenge while remaining achievable?

Explanation please for the non-programming experts here...... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Ah, but then it would be too easy. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I imagine he means counting from 0,0,0 to what ever the rgb value for teal is. Blue would be way too easy as it would just be 0,0,0 0,0,1 0,0,2 etc.

• Advertisement

I imagine he means counting from 0,0,0 to what ever the rgb value for teal is. Blue would be way too easy as it would just be 0,0,0 0,0,1 0,0,2 etc.

That really didn't help. Thanks for trying to explain though.

Advertisement