Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you use photoshop you can enter hex values for colours, eg #FF0000 means red. He was making a teal joke.

Hex values derive from computing, or something, where the hexadecimal numeric system goes from 0-9 then A-F and back again (always hated not seeing G when I waited for Elite to load on my BBC-B tape machine). RedGreenBlue combinations make up the colour spectrum, so each of the three colours gets one block of numbers attached to it in computing colours (ala photoshop). Having 00 to FF means having a range of 255(?) settings in the hexadecimal system. Hence FF(red) 00(green) 00(blue) is red, or #FF0000 = red. It was a geek joke, and I just made it even worse by explaining it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Gordon wrote: »
    If you use photoshop you can enter hex values for colours, eg #FF0000 means red. He was making a teal joke.

Hex values derive from computing, or something, where the hexadecimal numeric system goes from 0-9 then A-F and back again (always hated not seeing G when I waited for Elite to load on my BBC-B tape machine). RedGreenBlue combinations make up the colour spectrum, so each of the three colours gets one block of numbers attached to it in computing colours (ala photoshop). Having 00 to FF means having a range of 255(?) settings in the hexadecimal system. Hence FF(red) 00(green) 00(blue) is red, or #FF0000 = red. It was a geek joke, and I just made it even worse by explaining it.
    Why didn't you say that in the first place.
    Makes perfect sense.:onot

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

funny-dog-pictures-count-muffinz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I actually understood that explanation and the joke now.
    It makes sense that colours would have nos since essentially all this still sits on binary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

The decimal system counts from 0-9, ten values. Humans "count" using the decimal system.

There are different ways of counting, however, such that you can store more numeric information in fewer characters.

Hexidecimal or "hex" uses 16 values: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F. So "12" in decimal is "C" in hexidecimal, which saves a character.

Binary just uses 0 and 1, so "12" or "C" is represented as "1100" (counting backwards, 1*0 + 2*0 + 4*1 + 8*1 = 12 is a binary to decimal conversion), using more characters but requires a much smaller "alphabet" of numbers/letters to represent the same information.

0 and 1 is your basic on/off of electric signals, which is represented in more high level forms (hex through decimal, etc) to make it "usable to people".

This probably doesn't answer any questions, but I felt like posting.

postcount++

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Going so completely off topic now.

Does a Sudoku that uses 16 as opposed to 9 characters: 0-9 & A-F. Would that then be a hex puzzle.

Would viewing it that way make it any easier at all in solving a 16 character sudoku?

I really want to solve one of these, but constantly get stuck a 1/3 of the way through. It is one of the goals in my life - whether sad or not. :):)

Advertisement