Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back up generator

Options
  • 10-11-2009 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Had a power failure at the weekend which lasted nearly 24 hours. It has me strongly considering purchasing a small generator - just in case. I didn't mind the lack of light, and we had a gas hob as back up for food/tea but the heating system being out was a major headache. I couldn't even light the stove as the back boiler has a pump (which obviuosly wouldn't work without power).

Would a normal generator be able to keep a few lights on, keep the heating system pumping and possible keep the fridge and freezer going. Would a TV be able to operate also???
    I'd know not to have any major lights on or electric cookers or kettles or electric showers etc.

I don't know what a standard generator would be able to handle or how easy it would be to integrate it into the current system.

Has anyone done this and if so what were the costs - generator and sparks and did it work well?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

a standard generator you would see on site 2/3 kva would power lights heating etc in your home. not the cooker. tv may be dodgy as would anything else electronic due to the fluctuating voltage you may get from a generator. as far as electrical work concerned you need a changeover switch and is switched from esb to generator depending on where power is coming from.this must be installed to stop you back feeding the esb lines if they are being worked on etc. you also need a suitable socket to plug the generator into usually on outside of the house. generator maybe 500/600 euro and a couple of hundred for electrical work depending on changes to be made where socket to be placed etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

You need changeover and a suitable generator obviously.
    Some of the portable genny's have centre-tapped earths so can't be connected to domestic here(N-E short).Also 'automatic disconnection' can be an issue .
    Some gennys have avr or inverter technology and are suitable for pcs(in conjunction with UPS).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

also I'd suggest marking the trip switch's that you want to put on - I put orange tape onto them - so that in the event of power outage you can put the ones on that you want.
    In my own house i have lights and heating marked as a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We have a small generator set up to run the important things in the house when power goes.
    We have switch which isolates the mains when its in use. It plugs in outside into a waterproof blue 220v plug just like the yellow (110v) ones on building sites.
    It will power many lights and central heating pumps etc. We dont run the expensive tvs on it but i do have a cheap portable tv on as well as sky box etc. All ok so far.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tv may be dodgy as would anything else electronic due to the fluctuating voltage you may get from a generator
    Exactly what I was going to say. If you spend big money this would not be an issue, but I dont think that the OP intends to.
    also I'd suggest marking the trip switch's that you want to put on - I put orange tape onto them - so that in the event of power outage you can put the ones on that you want.
    You could install a switch to allow "load shedding". That way when the switch is operated only certain circuits are supplied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

mickdw wrote: »
    We have a small generator set up to run the important things in the house when power goes.
    We have switch which isolates the mains when its in use. It plugs in outside into a waterproof blue 220v plug just like the yellow (110v) ones on building sites.
    It will power many lights and central heating pumps etc. We dont run the expensive tvs on it but i do have a cheap portable tv on as well as sky box etc. All ok so far.
    is there not an issue with the connection points of the plug coming from the generator being live/exposed (and dangerous) if you use it to plug into an outside socket

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

is there not an issue with the connection points of the plug coming from the generator being live/exposed (and dangerous) if you use it to plug into an outside socket
    No there is a type that is designed specifically for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

Thanks for the responses.

I was in Aldi in Roscommon yesterday evening and saw this generator for sale

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_11533.htm

It was selling for €200 - which isn't as cheap as the link, but not a complete "Paddy Price"

I assume the fact it's dual voltage means it can easily hook up to the house supply (once a sparks does his thing).

My main question is simply - will a 2800W constant be able to look after the basics of a house?
    Basics being:
    a few low energy internal lights
    oil boiler and circulating pumps for central heating
    fridge and freezer

From a practical perspective I have a camping gas hob for boiling water and making simple food so other than heat and light there's nothing else for the generator to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i mistakenly said the neutralising link shorts the centre-tapped gennys.The double pole changeover switch breaks the link.I was thinking of another issue (N-E faults in the installation).You'd prob need an RCD on the supply side if connecting a portable to ensure fault disconnection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ciaranm1981

it would be fine to run all of that the only issue would be low energy lights dont like the rippled voltage from a genie and either may not work or worse become damaged over time. Have done this in a few houses its a half day at the most for one person

• Advertisement
Advertisement