Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neccassary qualification to lecture???

• 10-11-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I am a first year student in a part time Degree course in Montessori at a private college.

It emerged last night that one of our lecturers is possibly a second year student in the same course.

I find her to be a good lecturer so am not personally too concerned, I am aware that her mother was a Montessori teacher and she seems to have run a school herself for a number of years, so is experienced.

I am wondering if she needs the full qualification to teach the course in order to be qualified as a lecturer, or rather does she need a Higher Degree in any subject in order to lecture and she just happens to be studying this course, a year above us.

Can anyone throw some light on the qualifications required to lecture? I looked in a similar-titled thread here but had no joy.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Bearing in mind this is only a "possibly"...

How many years is your course? Is S/He a second year in a two year course?

It's not unheard of for later students to tutor previous students, but taking responsibility for lecturing a full module/course would be unusual I'd imagine.

Re qualifications - It's pretty much up to the institute. But it's up to students to choose the institute.

Would need more specific info re institute to give more help.

On the plus side, you might be able to apply for a similar job yourself next year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Helen Kitty

The course is 5 years in duration, (part-time evenings) so far this particular lecturer has been sharing one module with another lecturer i.e. we have her on Monday, the other on a Wednesday. This module has only been running about 3 weeks.

I know it is only "possibly" at this stage, I am just curious as the other students want to meet to discuss this and they seem a bit outraged. I just thought I had heard previously that any Higher Degree qualifies you to lecture in any area, so I didn't want to raise this point without knowing for sure. It doesnt sound like you should be able to lecture just about anything so long as you have a higher degree, but I thought it may be a logical answer as to why the college have a student working as our lecturer!!

Thanks for any guidance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Possible answer...

Student is doing the Montessori course because not qualified to be Montessori teacher, however has a degree etc in the module she is teaching.

However, if this person has a degree in, say, Physics then they should not be teaching, say, pedagogy. Stands to reason.

I would definitely not be happy in the above scenario even if Physics graduate has already covered first year course as a student. I'd say you'd have a right to be angry. I would also be surprised if this was a major educational institute, not so surprised if it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Helen Kitty

Ok thanks for your help I guess all we can do is research her background before approaching the course directors. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 trendygirl

This particular lecturer has an honours degree in Psychology and a post graduate diploma in Montessori education. Therefor she is qualified to teach on this programme at stage 1. However she wishes to upskill her Montessori qualifications so has now decided to audit stage 2 & 3 of the degree programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

trendygirl wrote: »
    This particular lecturer has an honours degree in Psychology and a post graduate diploma in Montessori education. Therefor she is qualified to teach on this programme at stage 1. However she wishes to upskill her Montessori qualifications so has now decided to audit stage 2 & 3 of the degree programme.

And let me guess, you have absolutely no connection to this particular lecturer?

Advertisement