Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mounting an ISO

• 10-11-2009 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

I recently obtained latest maps for my ancient in-car SatNav - in ISO format.

I've mounted multiple ISO's before, generally for software. I normally use 7-zip to extract it locally, then just burn the extracted files directly onto a disc. Works fine.

However in this case it is not working, and the satnav firmware is just giving a fairly generic "wrong cd..." error.

Has anyone had similar issues with this? Is there a reason why it would not work this this case..?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

bw wrote: »

I've mounted multiple ISO's before, generally for software. I normally use 7-zip to extract it locally, then just burn the extracted files directly onto a disc. Works fine.

However in this case it is not working, and the satnav firmware is just giving a fairly generic "wrong cd..." error.

Has anyone had similar issues with this? Is there a reason why it would not work this this case..?

Extracting the files like that loses a great deal of other info, such as the bootability of the disc image. Why aren't you burning the disc image itself rather than go through that needlessly slow and roundabout way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

daemon tools. (without installing the toolbar crap etc)

use it to mount the iso and you can run the installer from there instead of burning a new disk

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

You could install alcohol 120% and mount the ISO.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_alcohol_120/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Thanks all. quick answers.

I've been doing the 7-zip method for a while, and its just habit. I'll grab some software and mount it directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

If you have an iso, why would you want to extract the files, and burn is seprately?

why don't you burn the iso to a disk, lots of burning software supports burning iso's.

a free one is infrarecorder, or you could use daemon tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

kaimera wrote: »
    daemon tools. (without installing the toolbar crap etc)

use it to mount the iso and you can run the installer from there instead of burning a new disk
    Daemon tools - Ive installed it serveral times and always had issues with it. Typically during uninstall. It also helps that it was getting flagged as malware by avast for a while there.

I trust MagicDisc 100%.

As to extracting an ISO - why? Just burn the ISO, direct. Feck. Even Windows 7 Does this, natively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Bodan

I agree with Overheal, just burn the iso directly to disc. It is a lot easier and gives you the best results. What i mean by that is sometimes the ISO contains DVD or CD boot information that you wont get when you just extract the files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Using PowerISO or something similar to mount the image for install would save you having to use a DVD at all. Important in these recessionary times. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Using PowerISO or something similar to mount the image for install would save you having to use a DVD at all. Important in these recessionary times. :)
    Agreed. Unless you need a bootable disk, there is no need to do any burning.

Advertisement