Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein - On the go?

Options
  • 10-11-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey guys,

This question is really to the people who take protein shakes but anybody's opinion is welcome...

Do you think there is a business for on the go protein shakes?

If there was a place selling protein drinks that you could purchase for €3 - €4 and drink then and there OR take it away in a portable container and consume it in the next couple of hours, would you use this facility?

Do you know of anywhere else providing this facility?

At the moment, is buying a huge container of protein and mixing it yourself the only way to have a protein shake?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Realex: Jonathan

a lot of the supplement companies make ready to drink protein shakes that taste pretty good but they're expensive enough working out at €2.50 or €3 per carton.
    To be honest I think there's more of a market for having a smoothie/juice bar that has real supplements available. Shakes with creatine, whey, glutamine etc. Right now some of the smoothie places offer things like added protein but it's Soy Protein which is nothing like good quality whey protein.

There was a great franchise in New York when I lived there called Energy Kitchen that made healthy food and shakes. things like turkey or buffalo burgers and Egg White Breakfast Muffins as well as a whole rake of different types of shakes and juices with real supplements and mixed properly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

basically the general public wouldn't have a clue what protein shakes are or what the benefit of them are, so you are limited to a small enough market as it is and those that know would probably buy a protein bar, chicken or milk over a shake for €4. Couple that with the fact that protein shakes aren't the best tasting thing in the world and chances are slim of keeping people who are trying it for the first time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I provide this facility for myself!

You could potentially make money in the type of gyms where water is outlawed and there isn't a shop/tap for miles around.

Loads of other cheaper options:
    - just bring the whey in a plastic cup and fill with water
    - make a shake in a bottle and bring it with you
    etc

3-4€ for a scoop of protein? :eek:

Back to business school 101 I'm afraid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Right now some of the smoothie places offer things like added protein but it's Soy Protein which is nothing like good quality whey protein.

I think zumo use designer whey, well I have seen designer whey being used in a store so not sure if they all do it

I think zumo use designer whey, well I have seen designer whey being used in a store so not sure if they all do it

i think it was a zumo i saw using Soy, the one in the green. I was coming home from a match through town and wanted a smoothie but when I saw the girl getting the tub out with soy protein i just had it without the protein and got a chocolate milk.

Chocolate milk is savage for after training, i can't count how many different websites/articles i've read that say it has the perfect ratio of protein fats and carbs for after a workout or match

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jambi

Personally, I wouldn't pay €3 - €4 for something I could prepare myself for a fraction of the cost. If you were going to mass produce these drinks I reckon you'd have to add a whole load of preservatives and flavour enhancers etc. That would turn me right off. If somebody wanted to buy a protein drink from a shop just get milk. Approximately 3.3g protein (80% casein, 20% whey) per 100 ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SeanX

BossArky wrote: »

3-4€ for a scoop of protein? :eek:

Back to business school 101 I'm afraid :)

It's not just a scoop of protein. It's for a take away container, fresh fruit or milk and protein.

You think €3 approx is way too expensive for that? It costs €2 for a bottle of water!

Plus even if you can do it yourself at home for cheaper, you can also do that with virtually everything a cafe/restaurant sells, yet they can charge a huge mark up for the convenience of it all.

I'm talking about targeting those people who either can't afford to buy a bulk load of protein, those who have forgotten their supply or just those who want convenience etc.

Obviously this is one part of an overall on the go health experience, I'm not talking about building the whole business on this alone.

Yeah I've checked, they do use whey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

SeanX wrote: »
    Hey guys,

This question is really to the people who take protein shakes but anybody's opinion is welcome...

If there was a place selling protein drinks that you could purchase for €3 - €4 and drink then and there OR take it away in a portable container and consume it in the next couple of hours, would you use this facility?

Do you know of anywhere else providing this facility?

At the moment, is buying a huge container of protein and mixing it yourself the only way to have a protein shake?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The Weider brothers thought of it long ago.

kevpants wrote: »
    The Weider brothers thought of it long ago.

Do they have locations in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Do they have locations in Dublin?

Every Total Fitness sells their 330ml bottles and 250ml cans of protein gloop. In the exact price range you had in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

In Total Fitness, Blanch a few years ago, a lad used to come around with Protein Cake & protein cheese cake. He sold out every day and he was charging 4 pounds in 2000!

It took me and a few other staff about 2 months to figure out how to make them ourselves, so we did!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Chocolate milk is savage for after training, i can't count how many different websites/articles i've read that say it has the perfect ratio of protein fats and carbs for after a workout or match

Interesting - I love chocolate milk. Any particular brand the best to use?

this looks pretty good: http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/3/xpi51188483.htm

i live on the border so it's 85p sterling per bottle from tesco in NI...

A lot of the articles are from US sites and mags so the brands probably aren't available here but I have been buying either Yazoo or the Fit for Health ones, they're both low fat and very cheap. Yazoo is something like 85c in dunnes and fit for health is even less 65c i think.

I find it tough to eat straight after rugby matches or particularly heavy workouts so something like this comes in very handy

That tesco one doesn't look the Mae West, 250 calories in a serving and i'd say that bottle contains two servings. You're never gonna just drink the half bottle so that's 500 calories just for a drink, the other ones i mentioned I think work out at somewhere around 300 cal for the bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

In Total Fitness, Blanch a few years ago, a lad used to come around with Protein Cake & protein cheese cake. He sold out every day and he was charging 4 pounds in 2000!

It took me and a few other staff about 2 months to figure out how to make them ourselves, so we did!

Recipe plz!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I wouldn't buy them. I'd just buy milk or sliced ham in a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

That tesco one doesn't look the Mae West, 250 calories in a serving and i'd say that bottle contains two servings. You're never gonna just drink the half bottle so that's 500 calories just for a drink, the other ones i mentioned I think work out at somewhere around 300 cal for the bottle.

well i suppose it depends what you need - personally i need a lot of cals as i play football 5 times a week - to me it looks like more cals for my money - i'll try it them all and see how it goes...

Advertisement