Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Not Working

Options
  • 10-11-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have been using wireless for a good while now but yesterday the internet stopped working.
    The wireless and dsl lights are both solid green but the internet light is red. I rang eircom this morning but all they could suggest was turning it on and off and resetting it, which I had already done several times.
    I apologise for my complete lack of knowledge and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have read the stickies but haven't found anything that could help.
    Thanks again.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

First of all, and I know it sounds pedantic, but there is no such thing as Eircom wireless. It is essential to understand this if a connection problem is to be diagnosed.

You get Eircom bb over your phone line and then use a wireless network to spread it around the house. The wireless part has absolutely nothing got to do with Eircom

So where there is a connection problem you have to try and find out if it is the wireless network or your basic connection.

In this case with the red light on it appears to to be your basic connection.

Access your router http://192.168.1.254 and see if it is showing you as connected. If not then you have to get onto Eircom and tell them you have no connection.

You should also try removing the filter in case it has broken and see if a direct connection from the phone socket will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 differentoa

dub45 wrote: »
    First of all, and I know it sounds pedantic, but there is no such thing as Eircom wireless. It is essential to understand this if a connection problem is to be diagnosed.

You get Eircom bb over your phone line and then use a wireless network to spread it around the house. The wireless part has absolutely nothing got to do with Eircom

So where there is a connection problem you have to try and find out if it is the wireless network or your basic connection.

In this case with the red light on it appears to to be your basic connection.

Access your router http://192.168.1.254 and see if it is showing you as connected. If not then you have to get onto Eircom and tell them you have no connection.

You should also try removing the filter in case it has broken and see if a direct connection from the phone socket will work.

Thanks for correcting me as I clearly haven't a clue about this sort of thing :o

I accessed the router, says it's not connected. I've phoned Eircom several times and they said they will send someone out but they don't know when.

It doesn't work directly from the phone socket.

Thanks a million for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

Red internet light = Authentication error, problem on Eircom's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

problem might just be on eircoms side but that won't stop em from charging you engineers fees when they come out, the feckers..

you should get things clear beforehand.

waited 2 months for an engineer before, guy on the phone kept saying yea yea next week, so eventually i cancelled them altogether. good riddance.

Advertisement